Class 1A Football - Everything you need to know - 8-30-15

The #1 ranked team in 1A finally made their debut this week. The Beechwood Tigers opened in style with a 48-22 win over the #7 team in 2A, Lloyd Juggernauts. Beechwood has a lot of new faces in the starting lineup but this game tells us the program rolls on. It was not an easy battle with the game even near the end of the first half. The Beechwood freshman Logan Castleman intercepted a pass and ran it in for a score. That was followed just a minute later with a 65 yard interception return for a TD by Beechwood standout Brett Slusher. Slusher went for 5 TD's on the night adding 3 receiving TD's and a rushing TD. It was a strong first game for the Tigers.

Our #2 ranked team did not fair as well. The Raceland Rams faced a formidable rival in 4A #3 Ashland. This year the Rams could not overcome Ashland and their D1 RB Quinton Baker. Baker ran for over 200 yards and was the difference this year in thwarting the Rams upset bid.

That loss provided an opportunity for the teams behind Raceland to move up in the rankings. Paintsville made their bid for the #2 ranking in a big way as they overwhelmed a depleted Frankfort Panthers team. Paintsville has added another weapon to hep Kash Daniel in RB Kent Phelps. That 1-2 punch has now led Paintsville 2 lopsided wins. Is it enough to get the Tigers into the #2 slot this week?

Our second contender for #2 is Russellville. This Panthers team is doing its best to step into the Western Ky. 1A void left by Mayfield. Russellville posted a good win over 3A Ft. Campbell to move to 2-0 on the season. It is hard to know how good Russellville is with who they have played so far but they get to show us what they are made of this week as they face fast rising 2A Butler County.

The third team with a solid claim on the #2 slot is the Pikeville Panthers. Pikeville is closing in quickly on going two full years since their last regular season loss. They easily dispatched a solid 5A Letcher County Central team. That win follows up a similarly lopsided win in their opener over 2A Prestonsburg. Pikeville is making a big statement.

There was a big inter-class battle that happened this week when the #6 ranked Hazard Bulldogs traveled to Fairview. Hazard had many questions entering the season and seemed to answer them with a nice week one win. Fairview was a different test though with their outstanding QB Alex Roy. The Eagles made their own big statement in this one with a 44-20 win. The toughest district in 1A looks even tougher now.

Two other ranked teams had strong performances in their second game. Paris defeated 4A Holmes and Campbellsville crushed 2A Washington County. These two teams should move up in the rankings with Hazard's loss.

Our #1 0 ranked Frankfort Panthers are destined to drop out of the top this week. After the big loss to Paintsville and an already thin roster losing its second starting QB on the season, the Panthers are going to need to refocus on doing what they can to prepare for district play and hope their young team can get in position to make some noise in the playoffs.

There will be some more big matchups this week. None are bigger than Pikeville at Paintsville. This is must see football. Pikeville dominated Paintsville in last year's regular season battle only to see Paintsville come back with a big upset win in the playoffs.

In other games of interest, #1 Beechwood travels to a rejuvenated 2A Somerset. Russellville also travels to a top 2A opponent in Butler County. Paris takes on a 2-0 Ludlow team. There will be more twists and turns this week in 1A. Stay tuned.

I will say this much. It seems so far that District 5 will be a bit more competitive than expected. Bracken County played well against Ludow, Brossart is 2-0 to start the season, Berea seems to be put together well, Nicholas County put a smack on Pendleton, and Paris is clearly off to a good start. I thought that district would be a little more lopsided but its seeming like its anyones game.

I have a question for you Voice (and anyone else). Even at this early stage of the season does it appear it is Beechwood vs. the Field in 1A?

As many of you know I am a Beechwood grad (but not particularly close to the program now) so as an "outsider" looking in Beechwood appears to be the strong favorite in 1A right now.

Anyone agree? Disagree?

That's the sense I get but Beechwood's body of work is incomplete

I need to see what beechwood does these first three games and compare it to Pikeville, Russellville, Paintsville, Raceland, and the like before I feel safe tossing words around like "clear favorite"

The bets looking team so far has been Pikeville with how they destroyed Pburg and 5A Letcher Central. If Pikeville can put the smackdown on Paintsville then suddenly the debate also becomes a little more tricky.

For those interested, here is highlights from Pikeville vs. Letcher Central. The author does a great job with these and usually does it for every big game.

I thought Pikeville looked like a really, really good 1A team. Not especially big but very well conditioned, very well coached, and execute beautifully. The big RB Pugh is a monster and was the only HB to rush for over 100 yards on belfry as a Junior.

They look like the Pikeville teams from yesteryear that used to battle Beechwood in the Semi's under Hilliard Howard

I have a question for you Voice (and anyone else). Even at this early stage of the season does it appear it is Beechwood vs. the Field in 1A?

As many of you know I am a Beechwood grad (but not particularly close to the program now) so as an "outsider" looking in Beechwood appears to be the strong favorite in 1A right now.

Anyone agree? Disagree?

Disagree. I have been saying all along that 1A is much more even than most seem to believe. I have never felt Beechwood was the overwhelming favorite. They lost a lot. They only have one starting lineman back. I think they deserve to be #1 but I don't think the margin is much at all between the Tigers and the next 4 or 5 teams. In fact, I believe 2014 Mayfield, Williamsburg and Beechwood are all better teams than anyone in 1A in 2015. Mayfield should be glad they moved up to 2A because I don't think 1A would have been much of a challenge for them this year. It is a long season and teams can get better, but that is how I see it right now.

That's the sense I get but Beechwood's body of work is incomplete

I need to see what beechwood does these first three games and compare it to Pikeville, Russellville, Paintsville, Raceland, and the like before I feel safe tossing words around like "clear favorite"

The bets looking team so far has been Pikeville with how they destroyed Pburg and 5A Letcher Central. If Pikeville can put the smackdown on Paintsville then suddenly the debate also becomes a little more tricky.

For those interested, here is highlights from Pikeville vs. Letcher Central. The author does a great job with these and usually does it for every big game.

I thought Pikeville looked like a really, really good 1A team. Not especially big but very well conditioned, very well coached, and execute beautifully. The big RB Pugh is a monster and was the only HB to rush for over 100 yards on belfry as a Junior.

They look like the Pikeville teams from yesteryear that used to battle Beechwood in the Semi's under Hilliard Howard

yes. Very well conditioned, and in shape......every member on roster is in playing shape, and no slouches with out of shape big bellies. The defense is very quick, and flies to the ball. Defense looks to be in playoff condition, as well as the offense. We'll see what this Pikeville team is made of come Friday evening. I say they win.

Disagree. I have been saying all along that 1A is much more even than most seem to believe. I have never felt Beechwood was the overwhelming favorite. They lost a lot. They only have one starting lineman back. I think they deserve to be #1 but I don't think the margin is much at all between the Tigers and the next 4 or 5 teams. In fact, I believe 2014 Mayfield, Williamsburg and Beechwood are all better teams than anyone in 1A in 2015. Mayfield should be glad they moved up to 2A because I don't think 1A would have been much of a challenge for them this year. It is a long season and teams can get better, but that is how I see it right now.

I agree VoR that Class 1A is down from last year and Mayfield, Williamsburg or Beechwood from 2014 would roll through 2015.

With all that said, Beechwood is plenty talented this year and they are the clear favorite to win the 1A Title.

There are no excuses Tiger Fans.

I believe that 1a is up for grabs. The ironton game will be a big "guage" in the eyes of many for Beechwoods title hopes....however it is early in the season and injuries can mount...especially for a 1a team like the Tigers who are thin on experience. 1 week at a time, win or lose, get out injury free and move on. They will have learned a lot about themselves by the end of the Cov Cath game...which I believe is the week after Ironton.