Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Red Devils win, Nick Conley sticks pitchfork in Musketeers again

Featured Replies

For the third year in a row Russell running back Nick Conley brought the Red Devils from behind in the 4th quarter to defeat Greenup Co. in their annual "Backyard Brawl". Russell defeated the Musketeers 19-13 on Saturday night for its fifth win in a row over their county rival. They did so largely on the legs of #4 (Conley). The standout junior tallied 146yds rushing(100+ in the 4th quarter) and a TD on twelve carries. For his efforts, he was awarded Russell's MVP for the game.

 

This also marked the third year in a row that Russell entered their season opener against the Musketeers as a considerable favorite, only to have Greenup refuse to follow the script. Greenup Co. has improved greatly since head coach Chris Mullins took the job in 2011 and gave the Devils all they could handle.

 

The first quarter saw Russell receive the ball first and promptly go three and out. After a Russell punt, senior QB Jared Hunt led the Musketeers down the field for the opening score of the night. Following a 15yd personal foul on Russell, Greenup had the ball deep in Russell territory. Hunt found RB Ryan Byrd on a screen for a 13yd TD midway through the 1st quarter. The XP made it 7-0 Musketeers.

 

Russell found pay dirt on its second possession when QB Jacob McKee connected with RB Spencer Cole on a 15yd TD pass to cap a 56yd drive. A missed XP allowed Greenup to maintain a slim one point lead.

 

Both offenses became stagnant(or was it good defense?) in the second quarter as the two teams traded scoreless possessions going into the half with the score 7-6 in favor of Greenup Co. The most exciting thing about quarter #2 was a sprinkler malfunction that delayed the game for a few minutes.

 

The 3rd quarter was also scoreless as each offense struggled to execute and the defenses were playing tough.

 

The 4th quarter however, was a little more action packed and pumped some energy into what had been, up to that point, a pretty lethargic Russell crowd. Following a nice pass from McKee to WR Landon Brewer for a 1st down, the aforementioned Mr. Conley made his presence felt when he took a handoff, cut outside, broke a tackle, and darted 53yds for the go-ahead TD with 7:26 to go. A failed HB pass on the 2pt conversion left Russell with a 12-7 lead, their first of the game.

 

On the ensuing possession, the Musketeers drove the ball into Russell's red zone before turning it over on downs. An energized Red Devil squad proceeded to drive the ball 83yds in nine plays, including a 54yd run from Conley. McKee completed the scoring drive with a QB sneak from a yard out. The XP made it 19-7 Russell with about a minute left in the 4th.

 

Greenup showed a lot of fight on its next possession, marching right down the field against a soft Russell coverage. Hunt found WR Isaiah Greene in stride over the middle for a 15yd TD pass to set the final score at 19-13. The Musketeers attempted an onside kick, but Russell recovered and took a knee to run out the clock.

 

As previously mentioned, Nick Conley was named Russell's MVP, while senior Ryan Byrd(66yds rushing, rec. TD) won the award for Greenup.

 

Russell starts the season 1-0 and travels to historic Tanks Memorial Stadium to take on the Ironton Fighting Tigers on Friday. Greenup falls to 1-1 and travels to Flemingsburg to face a surprisingly 2-0 Fleming Co. team.

Great job DevilMayCare. Thanks for providing coverage for Russell.

I watched the game at work on a stream and towards the end of the game I was rooting for Greenup. They were playing hard and the game was going in their favor. Then Conley broke that TD run and that was it. Props to Russell, hopefully they can replicate last season.

 

 

Great recap though!

  • Author
Great job DevilMayCare. Thanks for providing coverage for Russell.

 

Thank you. I hope to do an article for most of Russell's games, but I doubt that I'll be able to do this every week. If I can't be in attendance or at least watch the online video stream, I'm not sure I can provide the most accurate account of the game. I might miss a week here or there.

Thank you. I hope to do an article for most of Russell's games, but I doubt that I'll be able to do this every week. If I can't be in attendance or at least watch the online video stream, I'm not sure I can provide the most accurate account of the game. I might miss a week here or there.

 

Awesome work!

 

Whatever you are able to provide is fantastic. Thank you.

  • Author
I watched the game at work on a stream and towards the end of the game I was rooting for Greenup. They were playing hard and the game was going in their favor. Then Conley broke that TD run and that was it. Props to Russell, hopefully they can replicate last season.

 

 

Great recap though!

 

Like I said in the post game thread, Conley's their horse and Russell needs to ride him. Russell's got a lot of solid WR's and they're making a conscious effort to spread the ball around and be more balanced on offense. That's all well and good, but #4 is the straw that stirs the drink for the Devils and, when push comes to shove, Russell needs to put the ball in Conley's hands. He's not quite Quinton Baker, but he's great in his own right.

Misleading thread title. :lol2:

  • Author
Misleading thread title. :lol2:

 

You just triggered a fantastic visual of a statewide manhunt for a homicidal high school RB wielding a pitchfork. :lol:

Like I said in the post game thread, Conley's their horse and Russell needs to ride him. Russell's got a lot of solid WR's and they're making a conscious effort to spread the ball around and be more balanced on offense. That's all well and good, but #4 is the straw that stirs the drink for the Devils and, when push comes to shove, Russell needs to put the ball in Conley's hands. He's not quite Quinton Baker, but he's great in his own right.

I 100% agree. I understand trying to develop some chemistry in the passing game to become more balanced but when it comes time Maynard knows who his best weapon is

Great writeup.

 

Honestly wondered for a second if this was a copy and paste from the Daily Independent!

 

Keep up the very good work

  • Author
Great writeup.

 

Honestly wondered for a second if this was a copy and paste from the Daily Independent!

 

Keep up the very good work

 

Aww shucks, your making me blush. :)

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.