Belfry 55 Tates Creek 38

ATLCat

Final from Belfry

Lots to work on for Belfry as Tates Creek would never give in and kept hurting the Pirate secondary...Belfry Offensive Line mauls the Commodores though.

Tates Creek with a perfect Hook and Ladder for those who love that play

I said entering this game I didn't know what to expect and this game proved that as I DID NOT expect an offensive explosion both ways.

Belfry really struggled with the Tates Creek offensive style against their super conservative Defense. Tates Creek made plays but Belfry might have ran for a season's worth of yardage

For the second year in a row, the Pirates physically beat up a 6A school from Fayette Co. This might be the last time a big city school ventures into the mountains ever again, lol.

Despite the issues in the secondary, I'm not sure Belfry will meet a 3A team this year capable of the aerial acrobatics Tates Creek displayed tonight.

The Pirates OL might be unmatched in 3A and among the top five best regardless of class.

All in all, not bad for Week 1.

TATES CREEK

Burke 25/40 292 yds, 4TD 15 carries, 55 yds

Beerman 9 rec, 68 yds, 2 TD

68 plays, 402 total yards

5/5 on 4th Down

BELFRY

Corbett 12 carries, 32 yards

Willis 11 carries, 166 yards, 2 TD

Wellman 16 carries, 178 yards, 3 TD

Fletcher 17 carries,68 yards, 2 TD

61 carries, 511 yards

A good win for week one, even though it kind of played out the opposite of what I expected.

Belfry was really tough on offense, and only gave away one fumble, and it was early. Willis, Wellman, Catron and Corbett complimented each other well in the backfield and all had a lot of production. For the most part, I think it was a really good outing offensively. 511 yards rushing is lights out and I never would have expected to hang 55 points on them in a million years.

On defense, it played out with the things I was worried about being the problem for Belfry. Tates Creek continually worked the edges with quick patters, slants, flares and an occasional run. They were able to pick the Pirate secondary and OLB's apart for 5-6 yards at a pop, but a lot of that was in spurts. They have some nice skill guys who are speedy.

It will prove to be a great learning experience for the Pirate defense.

For the second year in a row, the Pirates physically beat up a 6A school from Fayette Co. This might be the last time a big city school ventures into the mountains ever again, lol.

Despite the issues in the secondary, I'm not sure Belfry will meet a 3A team this year capable of the aerial acrobatics Tates Creek displayed tonight.

The Pirates OL might be unmatched in 3A and among the top five best regardless of class.

All in all, not bad for Week 1.

If LexCath can make it through the Western gauntlet their passing game is superior to Creeks but that's getting ahead of ourselves.

^True dat. lol

This was a really unusual Belfry game. It has been a long time since Belfry got involved in a track meet like that.

The halftime score of 21-14 didn't surprise me at all. If anything I thought it might be lower scoring than that. Belfry's defense had been shut-down against the run, and Tates Creek had done a good job of adjusting to that and taking advantage of a weakness. Belfry did kill one good drive with a fumble, but had put together two nice methodical drives that ended in the end zone.

The third quarter was crazy with Belfry outscoring TC 21-8 to make it 42-22. Belfry's scores came on the heels of some big plays, not the grind it out variety. The teams basically traded score from there.

Tates Creek really found a niche, Burke was on fire and deserves a lot of credit. Defensively they have a lot of work to do, but offensively I was impressed with their athleticism and their patience. Belfry doesn't see a whole lot of offenses like that who are patient enough to keep picking away a few yards at a time and stick with it. I really enjoyed watching them play.

Belfry iced it with about 7 minutes to go in the game, going up 48-22. On the ensuing possession, the Pirates began some spot substitutions. Woolum (CB) had been a bit shaken up, and I think 3 of the 4 total in the secondary were backups. Tates Creek executed a picture perfect hook and lateral that Beerman caught and then flipped it outside to a teammate (sorry I don't know which one) as everyone converged on Beerman. The kid flew to the house. It was a nice play call, and a beautiful thing.

Then TC recovers the onside kick that Belfry was totally unprepared for. The Pirates didn't have their hands team in there so that one is on the coaching staff. At this point there was a lot of time left and Tates Creek had the ball and the momentum. They were down 18 so a win was really unlikely, but there was no quit in them.

On 2nd or 3rd down, Chase Dove pressured the QB from the left side and Burke never saw Ray Horton coming from behind. Horton sacked him and caused a fumble, which Belfry recovered.

Belfry then scored too quickly to go up 55-30 at just under the 3 minute mark, which gave Tates Creek enough time to do their thing once more and tack on another TD for the final margin 55-38.

Belfry played their base D, only rushing 3 linemen all night and dropping 8 back into coverage. They never brought a blitz from anyone that I saw but the backside DE did crash a few times when he had no coverage man.

All in all, I think the Pirates came away with a great win, learned a lot, and the fans really got a good show. And it was a PERFECT night for football. The weather was perfect and the full moon was spectacular.

All in all I am pleased with last night despite the massive amount of points allowed.

If Tates Creek was running it down Belfrys throat or Belfry was getting burnt because of speed I would be worried. This was a great a learning tool against a style of spread offense none of these Pirates have seen in their HS career.

You can bet that Teams will want to see tape on this as this really is the way to neutralize that excellent Belfry Dline which is the strength of the team.

Austin Dotson gets my vote for the most improved linemen. He was crushing Conmodores. Belfrys massive Oline looked good all night but Dotson was a beast especially when he was asked to pull or come down the line.