If John Hardin were to lose the next 2-4 games....

DragonFire

Am I missing something? Was John Hardin supposed to be good this year?

Which mind boggled me from the get go. Talking about two teams last year in SW and JC that had two losses combined between them and not only returned the farm, but seniors out the wah-zoo.

I think John's ranking had much to do with circumstances. First, they finished last season strong, making many think they'd keep it rolling this year. Second, 4A lost a good number of it's power programs leaving something of a vacuum at the top. John Hardin has been a name program for several years and thus was put near the top. Finally, lets not overreact to one game. Yes, South Warren handled John Hardin, but South Warren is a good team. John may not be at the level yet, but there's a long time to go before the playoffs begin.

I must have missed that, I didnt think they would be that good this year myself.

Most refuse to believe this kind of logic, despite the truths behind it...but, Mark Brown resigning for a year only to return to the coaching ranks at E-town told me everything I needed to know for the next couple years or so. Some that might be disgruntled right now won't want to hear it in particular.

I think he knew the 2013 team had a shot, but I also think he knew that Bluegrass Middle (JH feeder program) had seen much better days (maybe even their freshmen/JV squads). He had paid his dues. He won some of the best years that Marion County had ever had. He then went to Nelson County and won there like nobody had before (not since the creation of NCHS, anyway). He started the program at John and went through a rough couple of years getting it off the ground, building it into the power it is now. He had his years of rough times and building from nothing. You get to a point in your career where you don't want to or have to do that anymore. So, he chose to get out a year (while also being eligible to retire) then E-town was on the uptick & that chance came open the following off-season.

If I've learned from coaches who have been doing this a while (which they shouldn't be criticized for).....or even the newbies...most don't leave their current school when things are just getting ripe for the picking. Now, when all of the apples have fallen and the next years growing season(s) look to be a little rough they might...but, they aren't leaving when things are good & ripe.

Edited by Harry Doyle

I think John's ranking had much to do with circumstances. First, they finished last season strong, making many think they'd keep it rolling this year. Second, 4A lost a good number of it's power programs leaving something of a vacuum at the top. John Hardin has been a name program for several years and thus was put near the top. Finally, lets not overreact to one game. Yes, South Warren handled John Hardin, but South Warren is a good team. John may not be at the level yet, but there's a long time to go before the playoffs begin.

No doubt. What I told people last year.

I don't know about even better, but it helps legitimize it. I don't know that North was supposed to win, but fear had definitely increased.

North was favored in the poll and judging by the comments in the this thread most folks had left John Hardin for dead already.

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/4a-5-john-308730.html

John has a good team, but they are young still. JH doesn't have patsies on their schedule so some early losses are expected in my opinion. South Warren is very good and they will be 10-0 I would guess if not 15-0. Harry Doyle makes some good points too. I doubt Mark Brown would have left when he did if the cupboard was full at John. Most, including me, didn't expect him to coach again. Don't panic on JH. A loss to SW is NOT a bad loss.

I wouldn't start panicking on John Hardin quite yet. They are 1-1 and lost to a juggernaut in SW. South probably will be 15-0. That isn't a bad loss. They very well could be 3-3 out of the gate. JH has dropped to 4A and according to KHSAA their next 4 opponents are all 6 A opponents except for Warren Central. Coach Lewis hasn't dogged anybody that's for sure looking at their schedule. Central Hardin is playing a very similar schedule, but even tougher IMO. John needs to win this week because PRP and Central are going to be very tough games.