Interesting End to Tonight's Game

Tied 3-3 bottom of the 10th. Dbacks have bases loaded with 1 out. Batter hits a line drive over the head of a drawn in Billy Hamilton and the walk-off celebration begins for Arizona.

However, the Reds run out and retrieve the ball from the warning track (with the help of a security guard who lobbed the ball in to BP). They then go and tag all the bases.

Video shows that the runners on 1st and 2nd never advanced to 2nd and 3rd, respectively. So technically they were forced out when the bases were tagged (if the Reds tagged them in the correct order, I don't know which order they did so).

Price had a long talk with the umpires but they walked off the field without taking any action. Interested to hear Price talk about what the umps told him. Coming up in a second.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently once the batter reached 1st base and the runner from 3rd crossed the plate, the other runners become an after thought.

Also, I guess they tagged 2nd first and therefore it makes it a timing play for the runner not reaching 3rd and by the timing, the runner from 3rd would've scored.

If there were 2 outs, the Reds would've won the appeal and the game would've went to the 11th.

@Clyde, can you give us your thoughts on the play? I can describe it further if needed.

And I understand that if the Reds touched 2nd first (which it sounds like they did) then there is no force at 3rd and therefore can't turn two.

However, what if they did touch 3rd then 2nd? How would you handle it (or how does the rule book/case book address it)?

@Clyde, can you give us your thoughts on the play? I can describe it further if needed.

And I understand that if the Reds touched 2nd first (which it sounds like they did) then there is no force at 3rd and therefore can't turn two.

However, what if they did touch 3rd then 2nd? How would you handle it (or how does the rule book/case book address it)?

I would think that would be a double play. What would be the difference if they grounded to Frazier and he stepped on third and threw to second? Two force outs.

I would think that would be a double play. What would be the difference if they grounded to Frazier and he stepped on third and threw to second? Two force outs.

My thinking is the same as you.

But the way Price talked, it sounded like with only 1 out, they didn't have any chance of winning the appeal.

MLB has a rule that , while worded oddly, applies here. 4.09b says that as long as first was touched and home was touched by the runner the run counts.

However, I'd need some case plays on it to see what the intent was.

MLB has a rule that , while worded oddly, applies here. 4.09b says that as long as first was touched and home was touched by the runner the run counts.

However, I'd need some case plays on it to see what the intent was.

The way I read that was that was in cases of crowds rushing the field in end game scenarios...but I didn't read every example given either.