"Hot Reads" - Fairview's Cooksey Cooks up a Comeback

Ram

"Hot Reads" — Fairview's Cooksey cooks up a comeback

Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2015 3:11 pm | Updated: 3:18 pm, Sun Aug 2, 2015.

Zack Klemme / The Independent

WESTWOOD Fairview may be throwing the football more than it ever has, but its defensive coordinator is as old-school Eagle as they come.

You may have heard of him — Rex Cooksey.

The winningest head coach in program history begins his 39th year of coaching one sport or another at Fairview as second-year head coach Fred Ray’s defensive coordinator.

Cooksey, a member of the Eagles’ first football team in 1970, is also the school’s girls basketball coach and spends spare time on area golf courses. So why would he return to the gridiron?

Well, why not?

Link

I saw that yesterday .... Rex has been at Fairview, left Fairview, back to Fairview, left Fairview, back to Fairview, retired from Fairview, now back .... the man bleeds red/black and it's obvious that they like him as well and that I can respect. Rex Cooksey is also a good man. Hell, he is that school in Westwood, I think that they constructed the building around him.

Rex Cooksey is, and always will be, part of Fairview. He has given as much to that school as anyone. Every time the schools needs something, he's there to fill in where needed.

Rex is a good man, I've known him since his days as an assistant coach with Ashland basketball. He's a really likable guy and is a great all around coach to boot. Seems like the man has been involved with sports since the day he was born. I know he's a Fairview guy thru and thru, but I'll always remember him wearing the maroon and white. Fairview is lucky to have him as an integral part of their program.