Bishop Brossart 22 Lloyd Memorial 0

The Brossart Mustangs contined to build momentum by winning their fifth game in their last seven outings, walloping the Lloyd Memorial Juggernauts 22-0 Friday evening at home.

Nathan Mutsch made his first appearance on the mound since the 9th/10th "A" Sectional game vs Beechwood last Sunday a successful one, pitching a no-hitter that was a first inning walk away from perfect. He also contributed a fourth inning grand slam home run. Kyle Kramer also hit one out of the park, his third of the year scoring three runs.

The Mustangs caught fire in this one and had seven players with multiple hits in the contest.

I think it was pretty cool how BB left Mutsch in to get a no-hitter versus a clearly overmatched Lloyd team. I mean, why throw him on the side if he needs work? Let him finish a no-hitter with a 22 run lead!

I think it was pretty cool how BB left Mutsch in to get a no-hitter versus a clearly overmatched Lloyd team. I mean, why throw him on the side if he needs work? Let him finish a no-hitter with a 22 run lead!

BB did all they could to not score against Lloyd... Get over it.

BB did all they could to not score against Lloyd... Get over it.

What does that have to do with leaving the pitcher in with a 22 run lead? I don't think I mentioned anything about them scoring, did I? Wait, let me check....nope, sure didn't.

There is no obligation by BB to remove their pitcher in a blowout. As long as they are not doing anything to "run up" the score, no complaints from me.

In most cases, I would agree. However, if you were at this game as I was, you would have seen that it may have been a good move. Not only was Lloyd overmatched at the plate, they didn't help themselves in the field either. While that isn't really Brossart's problem, I think it would have been a class move to put in someone else. I'm not suggesting they allow Lloyd to try to get back into the game, but it was obvious that they weren't going to touch Mutsch. From a fan's perspective, it just seemed like they left the kid in just to get his no-hitter.

In most cases, I would agree. However, if you were at this game as I was, you would have seen that it may have been a good move. Not only was Lloyd overmatched at the plate, they didn't help themselves in the field either. While that isn't really Brossart's problem, I think it would have been a class move to put in someone else. I'm not suggesting they allow Lloyd to try to get back into the game, but it was obvious that they weren't going to touch Mutsch. From a fan's perspective, it just seemed like they left the kid in just to get his no-hitter.

Brossart had already thrown three pitchers in a double header Wed. and two on Tues. and needed one on Monday... Brossart isn't Ryle, they don't have 20 pitchers...

No offense, but I think you are making a big deal out of something that most coaches would have done. Varsity coaches love an opportunity to only throw one pitcher, give him an opportunity for a complete game, gain some confidence, etc...

I'll bet Lloyd's coaches don't have any problem with this, nor would most fans IMO.

I'm just sorry to hear Lloyd's team is having this much trouble. Years ago, they were a team to reckon with. They have fallen upon some hard times the past few years.

No offense, but I think you are making a big deal out of something that most coaches would have done. Varsity coaches love an opportunity to only throw one pitcher, give him an opportunity for a complete game, gain some confidence, etc...

I'll bet Lloyd's coaches don't have any problem with this, nor would most fans IMO.

I'm just sorry to hear Lloyd's team is having this much trouble. Years ago, they were a team to reckon with. They have fallen upon some hard times the past few years.

Actually they did, they almost pulled their kids off the field in the 4th....:rolleyes:

In most cases, I would agree. However, if you were at this game as I was, you would have seen that it may have been a good move. Not only was Lloyd overmatched at the plate, t

This is the same Lloyd team that beat Conner earlier this season, correct? Its not like BB was going up against (and I mean no offense to any one) Heritage or St Pats. This is a traditionally strong baseball program we're talking about.

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, then. For the record, Brossart did not try to rub the win in Lloyd's face. They just couldn't help but get base hits. They did not try to steal, or take extra bases. I am pretty sure they did everything but just not swing at all. I am simply of the opinion that it seemed a bit much to keep a clearly over-powering pitcher in a game where he was obviously not needed.

As far as Lloyd is concerned, yes, they have been up and down a bunch this season...lately they've been more down than up. They are hopefully heading in the right direction. At present, they start three Freshman: behind the plate, at second, and in left. They are attempting to build something positive there. Look for them in the next few years to get it worked out.

Mutsch hadn't pitched since the previous Sunday vs Beechwood in the 9th/10th "A" Sectional vs Beechwood and the Mustangs weren't scheduled over the weekend.

He did his job for five innings (or however long the game went).

Reports are that Lloyd gave up defensively which led to the 22 runs being scored. I see no reason to pull Nate as a result.

A former Mustang basketball coach had a saying that probably applies here - If you don't like it, get better!

I didn't hear anyone complaining about who was pitching when we were shutout 12-zip at Henry Clay or 7-0 at Elder.

Coach Bob Rowe has earned his stripes as a class competitor over his many years of managing the Mustangs. It's kinda cheap to be questioning his motives in having a starting pitcher go the distance in any ballgame.

I doubt that Nate will even remember the Lloyd game next year at this time. If it wasn't a challenge he will want to forget it.

Mutsch hadn't pitched since the previous Sunday vs Beechwood in the 9th/10th "A" Sectional vs Beechwood and the Mustangs weren't scheduled over the weekend.

He did his job for five innings (or however long the game went).

Reports are that Lloyd gave up defensively which led to the 22 runs being scored. I see no reason to pull Nate as a result.

A former Mustang basketball coach had a saying that probably applies here - If you don't like it, get better!

I didn't hear anyone complaining about who was pitching when we were shutout 12-zip at Henry Clay or 7-0 at Elder.

Coach Bob Rowe has earned his stripes as a class competitor over his many years of managing the Mustangs. It's kinda cheap to be questioning his motives in having a starting pitcher go the distance in any ballgame.

I doubt that Nate will even remember the Lloyd game next year at this time. If it wasn't a challenge he will want to forget it.

Excellent post. Point taken.

That being said, "cheap" to me would be your last couple sentences...but that's just me.