Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bishop Brossart 10 Campbell County 0

Featured Replies

Agreed. Last time I watched a freshman game, he had players as base coaches. Get that guy some help! Are parents allowed to step up in these types of situations and help coach the bases?

I would think so, they have plenty of them that would step up I would think.

  • Replies 84
  • Views 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Last time I watched a freshman game, he had players as base coaches. Get that guy some help! Are parents allowed to step up in these types of situations and help coach the bases?

Absolutely no parents allowed. I asked to help and was told that Campbell County has to hire you and you've got to take some coarses. My understanding was that there were some other coaches that applied but I guess it ended there. Last year, I heard the varsity head coaches took care of all 3 teams and I guess they did so in the past as well. I personally think this is one of Campbell's problems as well, not having enough coaches. We were the only team I ever saw using players, but it was Coach Carrolls only option. Out of all the games I witnessed from varsity on down, it seemed like every team had more coaches than us.

If you look at Campbell's body of work this season, it has been their best in many, many years. They played a larger schedule against more difficult teams than the past. They played competitively in games against the top teams in NKY. Lost to Conner 5-1 (closer game than score indicates). Lost by one run to Highlands, Ryle, St. Henry, and NCC. Lost to Brossart by 2 earlier in the season. You definitely want to win those games, but shows that Campbell was competitive against good teams. Campbell's offense and pitching was very solid this year. So, in my opinion, Campbell had a good year and should celebrate that fact versus folks coming on BGP and making it sound like a complete disaster. The Camels have actually improved each of the last 4 years (each year better than the previous). Is that not what a coaching staff is supposed to do?

I agree that a coaching staff should improve the team, but maybe the players have just gotten better. The talent is there without a doubt. The thing is that Campbell is a big school compared to at least half of those that we lost to. When 5 seniors this year don't show up and younger kids are discouraged from showing up to try out, somethings got to give. I'm glad that there's all this talk going on here, but talk is cheap. I want to see some action and I want that talent that oozes from the Lady Camels tapped into. The potential is there, but when a program isn't getting the kids to come out, then what...that's why you'll hear parents say thank goodness for travel ball.

To answer your first statement about why I would say the 2 players didn't deserve All District. Well you get beat 10-0 and don't get me wrong, our field did not help her out on the mound at all. But about 3 errors came from the mound, with her falling down multiple times. Our catcher had 1 good hit???? And the second part of your Quotes was you were giving your awards, basically for batting .800 for the District. IMO you are one of the Problems with Stats. If you call a ball between the legs, or hit off a glove, etc. a hit, then you are one of the problems with Brossart's false Stats. Your team played Calvary and I'm sure there were a ton of errors, not Hits. There is a Difference.... And our team probably made about 7 to 10 errors, those aren't Hits either, I hope you are following me. As for our votes for All District, IMO was a popularity Vote. Not sure what yours was and really don't care, just hate seeing good players get the shaft when they are deserving. I rest my case.

 

You talk so much about stats and you say the pitcher had 3 errors !! HMMM I'm not sure if she had any really. Your asking a lot out of a pitcher to cover all bunts down first base side even if she picks them clean she wouldn't of gotten either out with who was running. There's a reason the bunts went towards first !! As far as our awards like a said in a earlier post could of picked at least a couple more players for all tournament team and Shack would of been one for sure she did a great job on the mound for us and she knows what she means to our team as a player and person. Like every team its starts in the circle ! We set TEAM goals at the beginning of the year ( not individual ) Nothing wrong for players to have individual goals but they have to understand individual goals don't happen without the help of your TEAM !!!!

 

10th region All A championship - check

Make a good run in at All A state (lost in semi finals ) - check

Be the one seed in our district - check

Win the 37th district - check

Win the 10th region championship - TBD

Absolutely no parents allowed. I asked to help and was told that Campbell County has to hire you and you've got to take some coarses. My understanding was that there were some other coaches that applied but I guess it ended there. Last year, I heard the varsity head coaches took care of all 3 teams and I guess they did so in the past as well. I personally think this is one of Campbell's problems as well, not having enough coaches. We were the only team I ever saw using players, but it was Coach Carrolls only option. Out of all the games I witnessed from varsity on down, it seemed like every team had more coaches than us.

 

I have to assume this is a liability issue first and foremost, so I can understand that. I would also believe that an assistant is not getting an $ to do it, so it has to be someone connected to the coach or team and willing to go through what they need to to coach.

 

Additional coaches should be primarily skill based and used more for practice than games.

 

Can't believe that all other schools can figure it out.....

I have to assume this is a liability issue first and foremost, so I can understand that. I would also believe that an assistant is not getting an $ to do it, so it has to be someone connected to the coach or team and willing to go through what they need to to coach.

 

Additional coaches should be primarily skill based and used more for practice than games.

 

Can't believe that all other schools can figure it out.....

We do have an assistant that shows up from time to time to help the freshman and I've seen her help jv. She's the girls basketball coach at Pendleton County high school and is best friends with the head Campbell county coaches daughter. She also, played basketball at Campbell county about 6 years ago. We have a total of 4 coaches to cover 3 teams which I believe is about 30 girls.

We do have an assistant that shows up from time to time to help the freshman and I've seen her help jv. She's the girls basketball coach at Pendleton County high school and is best friends with the head Campbell county coaches daughter. She also, played basketball at Campbell county about 6 years ago. We have a total of 4 coaches to cover 3 teams which I believe is about 30 girls.

 

I think the issue with Paige was that she was going back to school to get her teaching certificate and had limited time to be dedicated to softball.

To reply what Coach B posted in his last post, My Daughter knows how important she is to the Team. She was very happy to see the girls that were nominated on our team get the Awards. She has nothing else to prove as a Leader on Brossart. She has won numerous Awards, been Interviewed by the One and Only Ken Broo!! Is the only 4 year Starter as a Pitcher as far as I know at Brossart. And she may have broke the School Record for Shutouts this year, she has 13 currently. She loves her Teammates and has had a blast her 4 years of High School!! Oh, and I take that back, she has 1 more thing to prove, and that's going to the Big Dance!! I don't think Brossart has ever been to the Big One in Fast Pitch, I may be wrong. Go Stangs!!!:ylsuper:

I am just glad after 10 posts somebody finally spelled Dayne Merkley's name right.

As far as the rest of he posts the Camels as a team and as players just did not play well. I watched both ball games and I know I saw missed plays and errors by every Camel. Everything was off and if Scott didn't help them out with all the errors the Camels would never had made it to last nights game. We had kids running into each other on pop ups, overthrown balls, trouble fielding grounders, dropped fly balls, base running errors and we threw behind the runners at least 4 times. So the argument is who was the best of the "Bad News Bears"??? Really a little attempt at humor.

So I had to join BGP to make this post and didn't get the green light until now...which is probably a good thing.

 

My 13 year old daughter is an 8th grader and has caught for CCHS all season long (and whom at least two BGP talking heads felt was "undeserving" of the all tourney award). She batted five times in #8 spot over two games. Against Brossart she had two hard line drives up the middle (in a game where not many hits were had by CCHS) and she had a double against Scott that was a shot hit over the left fielder's head. She made multiple blocks behind the plate when the pitches were in the dirt. Am I bashing anyone for pitches being in the dirt or for errors made in the field by different players? Nope...because that's softball. Errors happen at all levels of play. It's how you bounce back from them that matters. After the Scott game my DD came home and practiced her blocking because some pitches got by her. She also hit off of the tee to get her swing down...but enough about this "undeserving" player.

 

What I won't do is hide behind a bogus screen name because I'm too weak to have my opinions known as my own and I refuse to be some mystery person who can pop off on BGP in anonymity. It takes a really small person to hide behind a username on a forum, but if you ever get tired of the ridiculous behavior--look me up. I'm a camel fan and will continue to be on the sidelines cheering for every one of our players (yours included) while you are trying to bash mine on BGP.

 

My daughter will continue to work hard and improve her game. God willing and with good health I hope that she can continue to play softball at CCHS for another four years after this season is over. But it isn't over yet.

 

Finish strong Camels!

I've never stated anything about coaches getting fired. I do believe we need more, but I have no voice when it comes to who coaches and who doesn't. When girls feelgood about tthemselves they tend to respond well....that's why I asked the questions I did about the girls and coaches. If you look at my thread about up and coming players...I put down Jessica Walsh and Becca Mitchell, which both ended up with awards/achievements. I've even mentioned McGrath, Orick, and Verst as being returning leaders. All you've got to do is look at last year's roster to see who didn't come out. If I was so against the coaches, I wouldn't let my daughter play. I mention about the seniors and younger players, b/c we need all the help we can. And yes it's about the girls, not the coaches or parents. We should be striving to help out all the players.

Edited by Randy Parker

  • Author

We did in 2002 but I can handle another one lol

To reply what Coach B posted in his last post, My Daughter knows how important she is to the Team. She was very happy to see the girls that were nominated on our team get the Awards. She has nothing else to prove as a Leader on Brossart. She has won numerous Awards, been Interviewed by the One and Only Ken Broo!! Is the only 4 year Starter as a Pitcher as far as I know at Brossart. And she may have broke the School Record for Shutouts this year, she has 13 currently. She loves her Teammates and has had a blast her 4 years of High School!! Oh, and I take that back, she has 1 more thing to prove, and that's going to the Big Dance!! I don't think Brossart has ever been to the Big One in Fast Pitch, I may be wrong. Go Stangs!!!:ylsuper:
  • Author

Picking all-tourney selections is a horrible chore for a coach. You want the athletes to be recognized but at the same time you promote (at least we do) teamwork all year then have to single out a select few for awards at the end. Bishop Brossart, based on this tourney and nothing else, probably had 5 very very worthy candidates if not more but there was only 3 spots. Suddenly, after you win or lose a big tourney game you have the tournament director standing there asking for your picks. You have less than 5 minutes to decide and try and remember what everyone has done in two games even before you have time to tally anything. You do the best you can. You take care of your players the best you can especially on awards based on the year and your team awards you give at the end of the season. Our coaches and players would give up every trophy or award they ever have gotten individually for a Region Title. The players who received the awards on both teams were deserving of these honors but there are always others who made great contributions to your success. This is a TEAM game an ultimately that's where the emphasis should be. Congratulations to the ladies on all four teams who were selected:thumb:

I almost laughed myself off the crapper when I read these:

 

#1 Metal man: "First thing that comes to my mind is how do the players feel? You ever heard the saying that if momma ain't happy, no one's happy...the production goes down in the household. If you want production from young impressionable women, they've got to be happy. I would love to ask each individual player if their happy outside of softball and inside of softball. I think that would shed some light."

 

#2 : Metal van: "I almost forgot, most importantly what about the coaches. Are they happy and uplifting when things get tough? Do they give tough love when needed, do they bond with the players and even the parents? How encouraging are the coaches when the wheels start to fall off and the softball world is crashing down on their player? All these things plus a ton more can make or break a team and I'm seeing a team that needs some repairs."

 

#3 : Metal man minivan: "I agree that a coaching staff should improve the team, but maybe the players have just gotten better. The talent is there without a doubt. The thing is that Campbell is a big school compared to at least half of those that we lost to. When 5 seniors this year don't show up and younger kids are discouraged from showing up to try out, somethings got to give. I'm glad that there's all this talk going on here, but talk is cheap. I want to see some action and I want that talent that oozes from the Lady Camels tapped into. The potential is there, but when a program isn't getting the kids to come out, then what..."

Edited by Randy Parker

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.