Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

White Open Carry vs. Black Open Carry

Featured Replies

And they conveniently end the video before we get to see the entire stop of the black man? Why? Does anyone have the full video?

 

Not sure where the second video was taken, but as others have said you can't judge the two videos and L.E.O's unless you know more and if they were from the same area.

 

I am not agreeing saying that the sheriff's deputy was in the right, I'm actually saying he was in the wrong. It's obvious, you have a man with a gun and a camera, a lady behind him recording as well, you know exactly what they are doing, IMO they went overboard. But again, we don't see the end result of the second video. I do nor agree with the L.E.O.s, but did they eventually let him go and give him his weapon back with no issues?

  • Author
1.) How do we know these were filmed by the same group? The first video has been going around the internet for a long time. I think someone just found the two videos and put them together.

 

With that said, Im certain you could find videos of white people open carrying being treated similar to the black guy and vice versa.

 

Also, open carrying a rifle is stupid.

 

Agreed that this would mean more if it were in the same city and same department.

 

Also, we don't know why police were responding. Did they get a call? What was the call?

 

 

Agreed that open carrying is completely stupid. I'd have been fine with them asking them to both lay on the ground. I just thought it was an interesting look, and even if someone called in for the black guy but not the white guy, it shows that sometimes black people kind of have it stacked against them because it's more likely that someone will call them in.

  • Author
The video of the confrontation with the white guy in the first link has been out for quite a while, in fact most (2nd Amendment and Open Carry proponents) recognize it as the perfect reaction from a police officer and I think it may actually be shown at some police academies when open carry is discussed.

 

Looks like someone just went looking for a couple of YouTube videos to display a point. As others said without knowing the situation or what "Eye Witnesses" may have reported to police you never know the entire story. The second one dose seem like an over reaction...but in hindsight the officer controlled the unknown situation...didn't go off...and waited for backup for the safety of everyone.

 

It's perfectly legal for me to carry an AR into Walmart, but if I don't think/expect someone to call me out or ask me about then I would be fooling my self.

 

For those that think the police should never stop or question someone walking around with an AR, wouldn't have been nice if an officer had been behind the theater in Colorado to question the guy walking with the AR and the Shotgun?

 

I never said that at all. I'm the guy who said they should both be asked to lay on the ground. I think it's stupid when people open carry just to say they do it and wish that there were stricter laws against open carrying something like an AR-15. It's one of those things where "just because you can", doesn't mean you "should".

  • Author
What about the white guy? :whistling:

 

 

Probably, "some stupid college kid walking around here with a gun because he can, and I don't think he's harmful, but can you all come check it out and see if there's something you can do about it... it's making me and my kids nervous".

 

:lol2:

 

Agreed that open carrying is completely stupid. I'd have been fine with them asking them to both lay on the ground. I just thought it was an interesting look, and even if someone called in for the black guy but not the white guy, it shows that sometimes black people kind of have it stacked against them because it's more likely that someone will call them in.

 

It really doesn't prove that at all. Not saying that's not the case, but your two videos prove nothing. Are these even filmed in the same state?

 

There's not enough information about the videos to draw the conclusions you are making.

  • Author
It really doesn't prove that at all. Not saying that's not the case, but your two videos prove nothing. Are these even filmed in the same state?

 

There's not enough information about the videos to draw the conclusions you are making.

 

Sorry, was responding to your and JD (and other's) posts at the same time and didn't quote them on the part about someone calling one in but not the other.

Perfect example of how we profess to have gun laws that protect rights of gun owners yet , as a society, we are completely uncomfortable with someone exercising those rights. Police are put in a really tough situation.

 

If you accost the guy...violating rights.

Let him go in the name of rights and he THEN shoots someone...police are killed in the court of public opinion.

 

Do police officers receive training as to what is legal and what is not? I mean actual training?

Agree that judgement of police action may need some additional background.

 

Also, there were factors beyond just the race aspect.

 

For example, lets make the 'white' subject a shaved head with swastika tattoos, dark sunglasses and a torn white supremacy t-shirt and lets see if get the somewhat friendly approach then.

 

Lets take the black subject and put him a light colored polo shirt, maybe remove the dreadlocks and maybe he gets a little less of an agressive reaction. I still think he will get a more aggressive reaction that the dorky white guy in the first scene but maybe a bit muted.

Perfect example of how we profess to have gun laws that protect rights of gun owners yet , as a society, we are completely uncomfortable with someone exercising those rights. Police are put in a really tough situation.

 

If you accost the guy...violating rights.

Let him go in the name of rights and he THEN shoots someone...police are killed in the court of public opinion.

 

Do police officers receive training as to what is legal and what is not? I mean actual training?

I asked this question to my next door neighbor, the State Police LT, he said they do.

Agree that judgement of police action may need some additional background.

 

Also, there were factors beyond just the race aspect.

 

For example, lets make the 'white' subject a shaved head with swastika tattoos, dark sunglasses and a torn white supremacy t-shirt and lets see if get the somewhat friendly approach then.

 

Lets take the black subject and put him a light colored polo shirt, maybe remove the dreadlocks and maybe he gets a little less of an agressive reaction. I still think he will get a more aggressive reaction that the dorky white guy in the first scene but maybe a bit muted.

 

Agree completely. This video purposely runs the racial stereo types. White guy - clean cut, dorky look. Black guy, corn rows and baggy pants. If the white guy looked like an Eminem want to be, I bet the police would have been more like the police for the black guy. Not saying that is right but probably true.

 

Someone also mentioned the differing locations. Some areas are simply more used to open carrying. Last month I was in a small town in Texas. I looked like the weirdo (moreso than usual) since I WAS NOT carrying a gun. In downtown Louisville or in the Highlands of Louisville, clean cut Bert wearing a tie with dress pants and a dress shirt would have the cops called on him in 5 seconds after stepping out of the car if I had a gun on my hip. Just the way it is.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.