April 19, 201511 yr State seizes 11-year-old, arrests his mother after he defends medical marijuana during a school presentation - The Washington Post No charges filed. Child didn't seem to be harmed. Exercise Constitutionally protected speech against government policies (the actual reason for this right) and have your child taken - by the government. Overreach - yes, Orwellian in nature - yes. Dangerous action - yes.
April 19, 201511 yr Lose your kids because of your stance on an issue. WOW.... I read it more like--the kid lost his mom for his stance on an issue.
April 19, 201511 yr I read it more like--the kid lost his mom for his stance on an issue. Either way is upsetting. Without an investigation into the child's welfare. He should not be yanked on a knee jerk reaction. That's like I don't like who you voted for, or you didn't pay your taxes, so goodbye to your kids kind of stuff. How far does this type of control go? I'm 100% anti drug. But look how far have our rights been eroded and control slowly handed over to someone else. It's sad we follow like sheep to the slaughter. America is asleep and we as Free Americans need to wake up and stop the overreach that occurs daily. I'm afraid of what the future holds for my kids.
April 19, 201511 yr ^I agree. My point is that they act like they are out to punish the mom by taking her child. But the kid was punished by losing his mom.
April 19, 201511 yr This drug raid could lead to bigger things. Maybe next they will bust a bunch of cancer patients. Sounds to me that that the police in this Kansas town don't have a lot of real work to do.
April 19, 201511 yr I'm pretty sure the first post isn't entirely correct. From what I gather, basically... The kid disagreed with some anti-drug information at school. At some point, police and social services went to the house and contacted the mother. After she denied consent to search her home, they applied for and obtained a search warrant. During the search, marijuana in plant, oil, joint, gel and capsule form and drug paraphernalia were found, according to the warrant. Medicinal marijuana advocate, Shona Banda, to learn if she will retain custody of her son | Local News | gctelegram.com So they didn't take the kid based on nothing more than what he said at school. And according to what I've read, she was arrested.
April 20, 201511 yr I'm pretty sure the first post isn't entirely correct. From what I gather, basically... The kid disagreed with some anti-drug information at school. At some point, police and social services went to the house and contacted the mother. After she denied consent to search her home, they applied for and obtained a search warrant. Medicinal marijuana advocate, Shona Banda, to learn if she will retain custody of her son | Local News | gctelegram.com So they didn't take the kid based on nothing more than what he said at school. And according to what I've read, she was arrested. Before they searched the home did the police not speak to the child without his parents present or did I misread it? Also what did they obtain the warrant on?
April 20, 201511 yr Before they searched the home did the police not speak to the child without his parents present or did I misread it? Also what did they obtain the warrant on? I'm 99% sure the parents do not have to be present for the police and social services to speak to them.
April 21, 201511 yr I'm 99% sure the parents do not have to be present for the police and social services to speak to them. I think you are right.
April 21, 201511 yr Before they searched the home did the police not speak to the child without his parents present or did I misread it? Also what did they obtain the warrant on? They obtained a search warrant for the house. That would have been signed by a judge, right? I'm not saying it was right or wrong to take the child, just saying there was more to the story.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.