Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Does Prayer Really Work? I Say it .....

Featured Replies

  • Replies 53
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"And if I claim to be a wise man, well it surely means that I don't know"

 

[video=youtube;o3T7-VbfYLU]

I don't know. God killed an awful lot of children in Biblical times. It's not a stretch to imagine that Jesus(God the Son) is a chip off the ole block. Jesus did seem to be a bit more passive than the ole man , though.

 

Obviously.

You believe because you WANT to believe. I disbelieve because I MUST. What else in life do you take on blind faith? You want so badly to believe that pearly gates , golden streets, a mansion beside the King, and virgins galore(if you are a Muslim) await you on the other side. Most believe in things that they so desperately want to believe. We see it everyday. I felt so terribly sorry for those sweet folks you wanted to climb aboard Hale-Bopp to reach the next level. They didn't question Applewhite for a minute because they wanted that Nirvana so desperately. It's all so very sad.

 

And that is the saddest thing of all. I truly fee sorry for those who do not open their minds and hearts completely and yes, I know both believers and non believers share that trait. I will continue to pray for you.

 

I am also waiting for your answer as to the faith required in the everything from nothing big bang theory.

How wonderful that some were so fortunate to have been raised and indoctrinated under the correct religion, and how sad that some children spent their lives being raised and indoctrinated under the wrong religion.

 

Very few will have the opportunity to remove themselves from the misguided brainwashing that they were subjected to, to be saved and to ultimately see the truth.

 

The journey for them to the truth is possible, but filled with the mighty task of deprogramming and reprogramming them, while how lucky it has been for those raised under the correct religion, because truth has always been right there at their fingertips, and no deprogramming is necessary.

 

Lucky souls.

 

Geographical location, and ethnic family backgrounds sure seems to have benefited some more than others.

It is sad that there are many who believe that.

I don't have all, or anywhere near all the answers, and neither does anyone else.

 

:wave: U'h, I'm right here

 

Just joking I talk myself into circles sometimes.

Then explain the study in which people being secretly prayed for did better than those not being prayed for.

I recently read a book written by Dr. Richard P. Sloan titled "Blind Faith, The Unholy Alliance of Religion and Medicine", and he addresses many of the studies that have been done about the power of prayer in illnesses. His conclusion is that most of the studies he researched are flawed in ways that attempted to prove a belief that they already held. I won't go into details of the 267 page book but it was an interesting read. He was very critical of doctors in particular that did much of the studies that he researched, and said in some instances following some of their research as a proven fact can be dangerous, and deadly.

I recently read a book written by Dr. Richard P. Sloan titled "Blind Faith, The Unholy Alliance of Religion and Medicine", and he addresses many of the studies that have been done about the power of prayer in illnesses. His conclusion is that most of the studies he researched are flawed in ways that attempted to prove a belief that they already held. I won't go into details of the 267 page book but it was an interesting read. He was very critical of doctors in particular that did much of the studies that he researched, and said in some instances following some of their research as a proven fact can be dangerous, and deadly.

 

I read a speech he gave in which he himself makes an incorrect assumption about the study that I listed above. He says, "The problem with that kind of study is that it takes people who are already inclined to be religious, and compares them to people who are not inclined to be religious." But in this study the people had no idea they were being prayed for and were selected randomly for either group without consideration to their religious believing.

 

Dr. Sloan a a devout Atheist, would we expect him to think any other way? Especially when he is lining his pockets doing so.

Edited by Jumper_Dad

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.