Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Big men

Featured Replies

What are some high schools/coaches who are best utilizing their BIG men?

What are some high schools/coaches who are best utilizing their BIG men?

Boone County knows how to use Stockwell. Many high schools could learn from Boone. The guards actually pass to him.

I think Lafayette does a good job of getting the ball to Ross Jenkins down low. He's not an amazing post player but he's a strong high school post.

 

I've only seen South Laurel play once but they get the ball to big Caleb Taylor as well as anyone I've seen in the state.

When they have a big man, Brossart (Coach Code) does a great job.

  • Author
Boone County knows how to use Stockwell. Many high schools could learn from Boone. The guards actually pass to him.

 

Most guards have not been taught to pass and use their big men. Glad to hear Boone County knows how to get it done.

Mason county utilizes their big men fairly well. Dorian Henry occasionally will play a point-forward and Jake O'Mara is more of the bruiser down low with the occasional pick and pop, as well as Bradley Boone battling in the post.

Fern Creek has a 6'8" 300 pound plus Senior Center who never has played varsity BB until this season, but Coach Schooler inserted him into the lineup and makes sure the offense works inside to get him touches. In fact, the young man now is likely to get an offer somewhere to go to college at the D2 or D3 level. He literally went from never playing varsity basketball to likely playing college basketball.

 

I have never figured out why a coach would not make sure his big post players do not touch the ball, regardless of how good the guards and wings can score. It creates balance and it is unfair to expect a big post to run the floor only to rebound and play defense. Pretty soon the big who does not touch the ball on offense loses interest and who could blame them.

  • Author

I agree, GoHardITP! I don't like to see teams use a big man just as a body. I've seen them loose interest just like you say. My philosophy is basketball should be played "inside" then "out". Maybe I'm old school.

Yes, and the other big thing is the only way to make the other team's big man get tired is to make them play defense. You also can get the other team's big guy(s) in foul trouble and out of the game if you make an effort to get the ball into the post. If you never make the other team defend the post, the opposing team big man is given a free hall pass.

I think a lot of coaches , forget that working the inside helps open the out side. A big man that can score and know when to kick it back out is very dangers. I`d say most teams that have a high scoring big and a high scoring guard , that combo . Win a lot of games.

The art of feeding the post is no where to be found in todays game at all levels. Feeding the post today is either a lob off of a drive or a jump shot that misses. If bigs cant face up and drive then they are used as screeners, rebounders and rim protectors. :popcorn:

I have never figured out why a coach would not make sure his big post players do not touch the ball, regardless of how good the guards and wings can score. It creates balance and it is unfair to expect a big post to run the floor only to rebound and play defense. Pretty soon the big who does not touch the ball on offense loses interest and who could blame them.

Yup. :thumb:

I agree, GoHardITP! I don't like to see teams use a big man just as a body. I've seen them loose interest just like you say. My philosophy is basketball should be played "inside" then "out". Maybe I'm old school.

:thumb:

Yes, and the other big thing is the only way to make the other team's big man get tired is to make them play defense. You also can get the other team's big guy(s) in foul trouble and out of the game if you make an effort to get the ball into the post. If you never make the other team defend the post, the opposing team big man is given a free hall pass.

For sure!

I think a lot of coaches , forget that working the inside helps open the out side. A big man that can score and know when to kick it back out is very dangers. I`d say most teams that have a high scoring big and a high scoring guard , that combo . Win a lot of games.

Agree!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.