Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands's Spring Game

Featured Replies

I remember watching you guys practice, with admiration I might add. If you played for Duffy, you loved him. And the thing people forget, is if you could comply with Duffy's conditioning requirements, you were on the team. And if my nephew could do it, then just about any really determined player could do it. I truly believe the program had become a little "soft" under Coach Eicher ( a wonderful man by the way) and Duffy certainly toughened it up. I really question whether Mueller could run the intense and extremely time demanding program he does had he taken over right after Eicher. Just my opinion.

  • Replies 70
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
But--there is also a certain genetic limit to strength--which relates to speed.

 

Also--your statement about flexibility is wrong. The theory of muscle elasticity states that flexibility can actually have an adverse reaction on turnover/top end speed/quickness. (Again--thanks usatf level 3 certification). There are numerous athletes who have no flexibility at all--yet they are the fastest football players, runners, etc.

 

Not to mention--there is a huge movement against the practice of flexibility right now simply because people have found that the theory of increased muscle elasticity (when muscles/tendons feel a little tight/sore) actually has some merit--(this doesn't mean that flexibilty isn't practiced--it just isn't practiced conventionally).

 

 

How many people reach their genetic limit to size and speed? Very few, if any, work at their maximum potential for the maximum amount of years to reach their full capacity in size and speed.

 

SOME athletes may be fast without much flexibility, but to say that is true for all athletes is just as inaccurate. If a player's stride is limited by a lack of flexibility, he certainly isn't going to be as fast as he once was. Every athlete is different; I'll take my chances with my athletes being flexible.

 

A sore athlete due to weightlifting or training is not going to move as freely as one who is not sore. Again I'll take my chances with stretching for performance and injury prevention.

 

Medicine and the study of the human body is a PRACTICE, not a SCIENCE. People are going to have differing opinions.

Your numbers are probably about right BF. Contrary to what you think, I don't disagree with everything you post.....just the things that you are wrong on:D
Well, don't lose heart. I'm bound to be wrong one of these days.

 

Hang in there! :thumb:

  • Author
I really question whether Mueller could run the intense and extremely time demanding program he does had he taken over right after Eicher. Just my opinion.

 

Interesting comment; I never thought of how different the attitude in Ft. Thomas must have been then.

 

Could you enlighten us a little? How much time is required in Jan.-May and June-July before 2/3 a days?

How many people reach their genetic limit to size and speed? Very few, if any, work at their maximum potential for the maximum amount of years to reach their full capacity in size and speed.

 

SOME athletes may be fast without much flexibility, but to say that is true for all athletes is just as inaccurate. If a player's stride is limited by a lack of flexibility, he certainly isn't going to be as fast as he once was. Every athlete is different; I'll take my chances with my athletes being flexible.

 

A sore athlete due to weightlifting or training is not going to move as freely as one who is not sore. Again I'll take my chances with stretching for performance and injury prevention.

 

Medicine and the study of the human body is a PRACTICE, not a SCIENCE. People are going to have differing opinions.

 

 

Take your chances all you want . ... . . that is your issue--not mine. This is one of my jobs, this is what I do. If you want to go in your own direction--please, feel free.

 

But--you show your obvious lack of understanding with this sentence: "If a player's stride is limited by a lack of flexibility, he certainly isn't going to be as fast as he once was"

 

What you don't understand is that it doesn't matter if a "stride is limited by a lack of flexibility". Limit of stride would infer length of stride--which actually means SLOWER. The important part of the stride is turnover (how often ones feet hit the ground)--which has been scientifically proven NOT to be affected by tightness/lack of flexibility.

Well, don't lose heart. I'm bound to be wrong one of these days.

 

Hang in there! :thumb:[/quote

 

BF, you're the best my friend. I only argue with people I love (which means I must love a lot of people on here!). I am actually striving to be a kinder, gentler leatherneck this football season. Lets hope we don't have much to argue about because the Birds go undefeated this year. You have to believe to accomplish and I believe. Peace.

BF, you're the best my friend. I only argue with people I love (which means I must love a lot of people on here!). I am actually striving to be a kinder, gentler leatherneck this football season. Lets hope we don't have much to argue about because the Birds go undefeated this year. You have to believe to accomplish and I believe. Peace.
Kumbaya:cool:
  • Author
Take your chances all you want . ... . . that is your issue--not mine. This is one of my jobs, this is what I do. If you want to go in your own direction--please, feel free.

 

But--you show your obvious lack of understanding with this sentence: "If a player's stride is limited by a lack of flexibility, he certainly isn't going to be as fast as he once was"

 

What you don't understand is that it doesn't matter if a "stride is limited by a lack of flexibility". Limit of stride would infer length of stride--which actually means SLOWER. The important part of the stride is turnover (how often ones feet hit the ground)--which has been scientifically proven NOT to be affected by tightness/lack of flexibility.

 

You can act like you are all-knowing and the theories are absolute all you want, but human bodies react differently.

 

The way you are talking every 6'2 200 lb. athlete's body is the made the same way and reacts the same way to strength training and stretching. That is preposterous.

 

If an athlete maintains the same turnover and his stride is longer, he will get faster. And lengthening one's stride is certainly not going to automatically slow one's turnover down as you imply.

 

And for every scientific study you want to cite, I can find another scientist who will prove the opposite-(like scientists on are both sides of the argument of the effects of the holes in the ozone layer upon the Earth.)

Anybody have anything further to add about HHS Spring football??

 

I heard there were some pretty heavy blows laid out there by the Ashton kid. Any others worth mentioning?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.