January 19, 201511 yr Free-agent pitcher Max Scherzer has agreed to a seven-year contract with the Washington Nationals, The Washington Post and CBS have reported. A source had earlier told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark that the Nationals wouldn't have the financial flexibility to sign the right-handed Scherzer unless they have a trade in place to move starter Jordan Zimmermann and possibly shortstop Ian Desmond. As of Saturday, the source told Stark, the Nationals did not have trades in place for Zimmermann or Desmond. Max Scherzer closing in on new multiyear contract - ESPN
January 19, 201511 yr MONDAY 10:40am: Scherzer will receive $210MM for seven years of work, but the contract has a very unusual structure, with Scherzer receiving $15MM per season for the next 14 years, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets. 9:22am: Scherzer’s deal “sounds like $200MM+, with significant deferrals,” Tyler Kepner of the New York Times tweets. Nationals To Sign Max Scherzer ? MLB Trade Rumors
January 19, 201511 yr This basically solidifies the fact that the Reds have NO CHANCE of re-signing Cueto, right?
January 19, 201511 yr Author This basically solidifies the fact that the Reds have NO CHANCE of re-signing Cueto, right? I believe you would be 210 percent accurate
January 19, 201511 yr This is an awful deal for the Nationals, IMO. Dude will be drawing $15M a year for at least 7 years once he's done playing. Year 1 of this deal will be his age 31 season.
January 19, 201511 yr Great deal for Scherzer. Was hoping he'd land in STL but not at those numbers. Glad the Cardinals passed
January 19, 201511 yr Glad the Cardinals passed Ditto for the Red Sox. I was afraid that they'd be in on Scherzer. He's a great pitcher but I don't think I'd want to be tied to his contract until he's 38.
January 19, 201511 yr Ditto for the Red Sox. I was afraid that they'd be in on Scherzer. He's a great pitcher but I don't think I'd want to be tied to his contract until he's 38. Tied to him until he's 44, right? They're paying him a salary for the next 14 years.
January 19, 201511 yr Tied to him until he's 44, right? They're paying him a salary for the next 14 years. That is correct
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.