Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What I learned today...

Featured Replies

I always disliked Jack Arnold, Kevin's Dad from The Wonder Years. I was 10 when the show started and I thought that he was too angry and too cranky. I watched Season 1 Episode 3 and I saw myself in Jack Arnold. I don't know if that is good or bad, but the similarity in our jobs makes me feel his pain. Who else has let work make them less of a father or a husband than they wanted to be? I feel like I am not who I should be as a Dad or a husband and a lot of it comes from putting too much into work.

Edited by mexitucky

I'm with you. Many times I wonder if I do enough as a father. Work takes so much out of me, plus winter isn't the most active months of the year. I took a big step this weekend bonding with my sick little 2 yr old.

I'm with you. Many times I wonder if I do enough as a father. Work takes so much out of me, plus winter isn't the most active months of the year. I took a big step this weekend bonding with my sick little 2 yr old.

 

For some reason, I was the parent that stayed with the children when they were sick. May have been because it was always less problematic for me to take off work.

 

Especially with daughter - we even had our "sick movie" that we would watch, She got the couch, I got the recliner, and we would watch 101 Dalmatians. Sometimes all night.

Work made me less of a Son than I wanted to be, but I was pretty lucky work wise that it didn't interfere with being a dad much.

I always disliked Jack Arnold, Kevin's Dad from The Wonder Years. I was 10 when the show started and I thought that he was too angry and too cranky. I watched Season 1 Episode 3 and I saw myself in Jack Arnold. I don't know if that is good or bad, but the similarity in our jobs makes me feel his pain. Who else has let work make them less of a father or a husband than they wanted to be? I feel like I am not who I should be as a Dad or a husband and a lot of it comes from putting too much into work.

 

Great news, one, you came to the conclusion now versus 20 years from now when it is too late to have the impact you seek. Two, challenge yourself each week to do something to nurture the Father figure you want to be and simply do it.

 

Also know I think a lot of Dads/Husbanda including myself have been where you are at. They key is acting on this awareness and altering schedule and behavior to put your kid/s/wife first. Set aside an 1-3 hours a week for just you and your wife/ kid/s. There's no accident you shared this...I came to this same awareness during the holidays after spending more time with my family. I'm picking up my son and we're going to work out for an hour three times a week until baseball season starts this winter.

 

Today we're shooting hoops and just talking about life in general from 5-6p. Looking forward to getting whooped in a couple games of 1-1 up to 10. I think I can take him in horse though...:lol2: The wife and I start a bi-monthly date night this week as well.

 

Set some realistic, attainable goals, and have fun. Believing in your success! :thumb:

Great news, one, you came to the conclusion now versus 20 years from now when it is too late to have the impact you seek. Two, challenge yourself each week to do something to nurture the Father figure you want to be and simply do it.

 

Also know I think a lot of Dads/Husbanda including myself have been where you are at. They key is acting on this awareness and altering schedule and behavior to put your kid/s/wife first. Set aside an 1-3 hours a week for just you and your wife/ kid/s. There's no accident you shared this...I came to this same awareness during the holidays after spending more time with my family. I'm picking up my son and we're going to work out for an hour three times a week until baseball season starts this winter.

 

Today we're shooting hoops and just talking about life in general from 5-6p. Looking forward to getting whooped in a couple games of 1-1 up to 10. I think I can take him in horse though...:lol2: The wife and I start a bi-monthly date night this week as well.

 

Set some realistic, attainable goals, and have fun. Believing in your success! :thumb:

 

Agree with pretty much everything here. Just don't get caught up in the "scheduling aspect".

It gets harder and harder as your kids get older also. Having 13 and 22 yo, it seems our time with them revolves more around their schedules than ours.

 

Several years ago when we first moved back to Kentucky my mother-in-law set aside every Thursday afternoon for the entire family to come together for dinner. What ever else was going on this was "Her time" and we all came together on Thursday with empty schedules, that way no one was eating and running. Thursday became family time. As my son is about to get married and move out on his own, my wife has decided that we are going to start this tradition back up with our family.

 

You make time for what's important to you.

 

When it comes to kids, Time=Love. We all remember doing stuff with our parents when we were kids, how many of us remember more than a few Birthday or Christmas Presents...but you remember playing ball with your dad or checkers with your mom...time is what's important.

I always disliked Jack Arnold, Kevin's Dad from The Wonder Years. I was 10 when the show started and I thought that he was too angry and too cranky. I watched Season 1 Episode 3 and I saw myself in Jack Arnold. I don't know if that is good or bad, but the similarity in our jobs makes me feel his pain. Who else has let work make them less of a father or a husband than they wanted to be? I feel like I am not who I should be as a Dad or a husband and a lot of it comes from putting too much into work.

I know Dan Lauria personally. He is of course the actor who played Jack Arnold. He is, without a doubt, one of the absolute nicest guys you will ever meet.

 

I met him while the Wonder Years was still being filmed. I was in a made for tv movie with him and got to share a trailer with him on the set along with Reginald VelJohnson. Danwas one of those people that would bend over backwards for you. He and Fred Savage formed a father son type of relationship during the taping of that show and he really looked out for Fred. The stories he would tell kept us in stitches between takes.

 

Super nice guy who would come to our house during the filming of the movie (I lived in SC at the time and that is where the movie was being filmed). He and Reginald and me and one other actor were inseparable for the 2 months we were there. Dan's family of course was back home so we kind of adopted him and Reginald so they would stay at our house more than at the hotel they were staying at during the shoot. Absolute great guy and totally different than the character he played. Last I heard from him he was estactic as he was playing Vince Lombardi on Broadway. It's been several years, probably close to ten since we last kept in touch.

 

sorry To ramble, but you caught me off guard when you brought up one of my alltime favorite people.

 

ok, back to the topic...sorry for derailing it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.