State Forces 17-Year Old Cancer Patient to Undergo Chemo

UKMustangFan

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 Year Old Cancer Patient Goes to Court Over Forced Chemo

Not sure what right the state has to force her to undergo Chemo. Sounds like both the patient and mother are in agreement to not receive treatment.

Thoughts?

The only way I'd be for the state forcing this would be if a parent asked for this ruling because the child is a minor.

If the child is a minor:

Should we let the parent decide with no exceptions?

No, I don't think so. However, if both the child and the parent are in agreement, I think we honor their wishes.

I'd also imagine it should be taken on a case by case basis. If the child was 10 years old, that's a different story. The girl is 17, in less than a year she can make this same decision no questions asked.

No, I don't think so. However, if both the child and the parent are in agreement, I think we honor their wishes.

I.

15 years old. Parents religion says they cannot take any medicine. Doctors say there's a 75% chance of survival with the medicine.

Who wins?

Can the state force a Jehovah Witness minor to receive a blood transfusion?

Absolutely not. I've had them deny blood countless times. Even in the most severe cases they don't get the transfusions.

Granted, this is because parents and all the family members are in agreement.

Enough with the hypothetical scenarios...Let's focus on this specific case. In your opinion is the state right or wrong to force her to undergo the Chemo?

I think it's wrong. A 17 year old is old enough to make the decision on his own.