Any Upsets?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is everyone so dead set on eliminating the first round of the playoffs? Let them play as many as they can. Why does it matter that the 4 v. 1 games are lopsided? Doesn't that happen in the first round of the basketball district tournament as well?

Entirely different animal.

Not with respect to the complaints I read about the first round games. The complaints I read mainly focus on the fact that they are not competitive, will have a running clock in the first half, neither team seems interested, they're not productive because the 4 seed has no chance, etc.

I have read only one comment regarding the 4v1 games being a safety concern. That was in the Beechwood v Bracken County thread. The mismatch in these games are more about ability, technique, coaching and execution than they are about one team being physically superior to the point of a safety concern.

Why is it so much a different animal vs. basketball?

1. Physically demands of football and basketball are completely different.

2. Basketball can play multiple games a week. Every additional game doesn't add an extra week.

3. Coaches of successful programs that I have spoken to don't consider the district tournament part of the playoffs. They say the playoffs start at the regionals where only 2 from each district advance.