South Laurel 47 John Hardin 33

South Laurel avoids becoming the first defending champion to lose in the first round the next year since Lafayette, the 1953 champion, lost in the first round to Newport the next year.

There have been teams win the title and miss the Sweet 16 the next year, but none have won it and lost in the first round the next year since Lafayette in 1954

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd have never convinced me that John Hardin would score that low. Wow.

2 factors in that situation IMHO.

1. SL did play great defense, as did JH

2. JH began to force some up some shots when they were trailing, but they still had time to overcome the 2-6 point deficit in a good portion of the 3rd quarter and early in the 4th.

JH plays a bump you first, go get the ball second defense, and it works a lot of times. However, SL wouldn't be bumped today, they just shoved right back, that's what you have to do against this type of team. If you don't meet them with the same physical play, they will run over you. Walt Allen and co. ran over JH today.

I said it before the region started, SL was bored this season, nothing to gain until NOW!! I have seen all but two teams play this season, and SL is one of them. I watched them last year, and IMHO, they will repeat. Mark it down!

South is so good they can play what ever style is thrown at them. They can score so the high scoring game is good. They can play defense so the low scoring game is good for them too.

Proffitt showed that he is a money player, with his play today.

Where is the scoring at? The two winners from the Wednesday afternoon session have a combined 89 points. Graves had 42 and SL had 47. Not one team has hit 50 yet. It's kind of hard to believe.

Hopefully there will be more scoring during the rest of the tourney.