November 1, 201411 yr I am putting this in the football forum, since it was the talk about the Warren Central - Bowling Green football rivalry which made me think of this. It is my understanding that right now, the Franklin Circuit Court is hearing a case brought forth by the Warren County School District, challenging the decision by the Kentucky Commissioner of Education which allowed BG to continue accepting county students who are in the Warren County school district (despite Warren County not wanting to grant the contracts for this). I have heard from some sources who are close to Kentucky education that the state constitution clearly supports the county's position on this matter, and that it is anticipated that the circuit court will rule in favor of Warren County. A ruling in Warren County's favor would mean that, effective at the start of the 2015-2016 school year, potentially hundreds of students who are now enrolled in the BG school district would have to enroll in the Warren County schools, unless (1) those students' families move from the county into the city of BG, or (2) the Warren County school district grants contracts for some of these students to remain in the BG schools (which seems doubtful, since this is why the Warren County schools are pursuing this matter in the judicial system in the first place). What are people who live in BG/Warren County hearing about this right now? If the Franklin Circuit Court rules in favor of the Warren County schools (which, apparently, many people in the know believe will happen, and relatively soon), what impact will this have of the BG and Warren County athletic programs, especially football and basketball? I am hearing that this would impact several HUNDRED students, which seems like it would have major ramifications on the BG and Warren County football/basketball programs beginning this upcoming school year (the 2015-2016 academic year). It is my understanding that BG has a lot of underclassmen who are major contributors on the football team this year... any idea on how many of these kids could be shifted to Warren County schools next year if the courts rule in Warren County's favor?
November 1, 201411 yr Whoever you are hearing this from is not in the "know" as much as you think. Regardless of what decision is made in future won't affect kids already in city system. No judge is going to tell a family of a sophomore to switch school systems.
November 1, 201411 yr Author Whoever you are hearing this from is not in the "know" as much as you think. Regardless of what decision is made in future won't affect kids already in city system. No judge is going to tell a family of a sophomore to switch school systems. Why would you think that? If the courts hold the county school has the constitutional right to provide for these students' education (and to receive the monies that fund such education), why would you believe that it would not go into effect as of the 2014-2015 academic year? Also, I am wondering what people in BG/Warren County are saying in regards to this pending court decision. It is a huge deal and has major implications for county school districts across the state.
November 1, 201411 yr If i'm already in the BG system I either move to stay in or pay tuition. No way I switch schools if I don't want too.
November 1, 201411 yr If i'm already in the BG system I either move to stay in or pay tuition. No way I switch schools if I don't want too. What JB is saying is unless there is a move, the student may not have a choice. I am wondering if there is a move would an athlete have to sit out a year?
November 1, 201411 yr Author WhTever happens, I hope it works out for the best of all parties involved.
November 1, 201411 yr Author What JB is saying is unless there is a move, the student may not have a choice. I am wondering if there is a move would an athlete have to sit out a year?Well, I suppose a family could pay tuition out of pocket, without any state money.
November 1, 201411 yr I will say this, and only this, BG can't force Warren County to have any contract with them. If I were on the Board, I'd tell BGIS "you either go with my numbers or you're not going to get any of the money that follows out of district students." Instead, the Board decided to waste away money (which they don't have a lot of) on a legal battle.
November 1, 201411 yr No one that I know in BG is worried about any of this. People don't even talk about it anymore like they did about a year ago. It was a very polarizing issue for quite some time. There may even be a thread about it somewhere on BGP.
November 1, 201411 yr I haven't heard of an appeal but quite frankly why would it be any different result at this point from the several appeals that have been thoroughly rejected? So no impact at all I'd say.
November 1, 201411 yr I haven't heard of an appeal but quite frankly why would it be any different result at this point from the several appeals that have been thoroughly rejected? So no impact at all I'd say. I was thinking it is a non issue at this point.
November 1, 201411 yr I was thinking it is a non issue at this point. It's not that as far as Warren County is concerned. They have basically looked to exhaust every appeal possible and there's no guarantee that they won't start the cycle over again in the Spring. It's not that I don't think they have any logic or grounds in their argument but they have not proved their case at any point and seem to just be throwing money at the situation, perhaps hoping to simply outlast Bowling Green.
November 1, 201411 yr It's not that as far as Warren County is concerned. They have basically looked to exhaust every appeal possible and there's no guarantee that they won't start the cycle over again in the Spring. It's not that I don't think they have any logic or grounds in their argument but they have not proved their case at any point and seem to just be throwing money at the situation, perhaps hoping to simply outlast Bowling Green. That's why there will be some changes on the board very soon.
November 1, 201411 yr That's why there will be some changes on the board very soon. Honestly, I would be happy with that. But I don't see it. I just don't think the county at large has as much issue with the situation. Especially the Duvall/McMichael district. If I had to guess, the guy that will be in danger will be Basham in two years.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.