Question about Warren County/BG

jbwill2

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL it is fun isn't it PP92.

It all comes down to show me the money regardless of what anyone thinks but that is IMHO.

What sad is it is costing both sides a lot of money to continue this fight.

Being able to watch from afar is refreshing. I know so many people who are very passionate about this issue on both sides. I have no answers. All I know is that I love my alma mater, Bowling Green High School and if I still lived in Bowling Green my kids would be going to Bowling Green Independent Schools regardless of what district I lived in and that's all there is to it. My parents paid the monthly cost for my sister and I to attend Bowling Green Independent Schools and I would do the same thing for my kids if I had to.

Anyone who wants to do so should be allowed to.

Carter you're quoting a bunch of stuff from the county website that has been defeated and proven factually untrue by 3 neutral parties already. Maybe you should try reading the findings of the KY state BOE and the Commissioner of Education instead of the propaganda of the plaintiff.

LOL it is fun isn't it PP92.

It all comes down to show me the money regardless of what anyone thinks but that is IMHO.

What sad is it is costing both sides a lot of money to continue this fight.

Since the financials seem to show that either side loses money on educating these students, I think it's pretty clear that it's not. It's why WCPS cannot demonstrably show a financial gain to taking these students back beyond vague promises of being able to hold them. Yes, the particular demographic that typically is transferring is considered to have less cost associated than others, but their are numerous logical fallacies in their arguments. The numbers only work if they don't have to build, or add positions, or add any overhead to the costs. It's simply not true, and it's why they got soundly defeated this year. I was willing to buy that they were simply unprepared (or incompetent) in 2013 for the fight - even though by all rights it should have been BG that had a tougher go since it was sprung on them late - but they had an entire year to make their argument this time around. And the hearing commissioner came down WAY harder this time.

The WCPS is unable to make their case because they simply won't state what it's really about. Mostly because of the PR hit they'd get and likely still not getting their way. It's about two school systems and a pool of students made up of predominantly middle to upper class children. Children that have involved parents. Children that often have grown up to become athletes. Children that have often grown up to be high performers. BG wants to keep them. WC wants them. End of story. And if the WCPS can use it as a hammer to choke the life out of the BGISD, so much the better from their side.

BTW, that is not to mean you can't be rich and turn out to be dumb and unathletic or that you can't be poor and a stud athlete.

Carter you're quoting a bunch of stuff from the county website that has been defeated and proven factually untrue by 3 neutral parties already. Maybe you should try reading the findings of the KY state BOE and the Commissioner of Education instead of the propaganda of the plaintiff.

You may be correct on that but my point was only to put out why the county is so upset about it and it comes down to the mighty dollar. The point above whether it is propaganda or not is the sticking point of where the county is going to keep going on this issue unfortunately. Quite honestly no one is winning on this issue until they reach an agreement. Even in the wins that BGISD has had they have still been ordered to go back to the table and workout a deal between the two of them. The next time for that meeting is Nov 24 and both sides are to report to KBE in December according to the last ruling. According to the news this morning the appeal was filed to preserve the work already done if an agreement can not be reached in the November 24 meeting between the two sides. I personally don't think an agreement will be reached then based on as you said the propaganda.

Being able to watch from afar is refreshing. I know so many people who are very passionate about this issue on both sides. I have no answers. All I know is that I love my alma mater, Bowling Green High School and if I still lived in Bowling Green my kids would be going to Bowling Green Independent Schools regardless of what district I lived in and that's all there is to it. My parents paid the monthly cost for my sister and I to attend Bowling Green Independent Schools and I would do the same thing for my kids if I had to.

Anyone who wants to do so should be allowed to.

So if 2,000 kids want to go to BGIS, then they should be accommodated?

That's why I call it "School Choice*".

Since the financials seem to show that either side loses money on educating these students, I think it's pretty clear that it's not. It's why WCPS cannot demonstrably show a financial gain to taking these students back beyond vague promises of being able to hold them. Yes, the particular demographic that typically is transferring is considered to have less cost associated than others, but their are numerous logical fallacies in their arguments. The numbers only work if they don't have to build, or add positions, or add any overhead to the costs. It's simply not true, and it's why they got soundly defeated this year. I was willing to buy that they were simply unprepared (or incompetent) in 2013 for the fight - even though by all rights it should have been BG that had a tougher go since it was sprung on them late - but they had an entire year to make their argument this time around. And the hearing commissioner came down WAY harder this time.

The WCPS is unable to make their case because they simply won't state what it's really about. Mostly because of the PR hit they'd get and likely still not getting their way. It's about two school systems and a pool of students made up of predominantly middle to upper class children. Children that have involved parents. Children that often have grown up to become athletes. Children that have often grown up to be high performers. BG wants to keep them. WC wants them. End of story. And if the WCPS can use it as a hammer to choke the life out of the BGISD, so much the better from their side.

BTW, that is not to mean you can't be rich and turn out to be dumb and unathletic or that you can't be poor and a stud athlete.

Test Scores!

I still haven't had my question answered. Do schools with higher test scores get more money from the State and Federal Government?

DragonFire,

You are probably closer to correct than any of us will ever know. But what I mean by the dollar is this if you take 100 students per year as WCPS wants then you are taking 100 students x 3,000 SEEK dollars per student or 300,000 dollars per year and shifting from the City to the County. If it were to go to 250 total students as the county suggested then that's 500 students by the 3,000 dollars or 1.5 million dollars that would be shifted from the City to the County. When it comes to what the state looks at in the financial statements it makes one look stronger than the other look weaker and that is what both boards are concerned about. If the city loses 1.5 million dollars on their financial statements in revenue it would impact their status and fund balances. To me that is the big concern of both sides not really about the cost of education to those students but to strengthen their financial appearance to the state. I am quite sure there are a lot of other items that goes in to this issue as you have pointed out.

What you are refusing to understand is that it takes more than SEEK money to educate a student. BGISD would save more than they lost in the short term and County would lose more than they gain. Every neutral party who has ruled on this understands this an Dragonfire wins the day. His post is so accurate its creepy.

So if 2,000 kids want to go to BGIS, then they should be accommodated?

That's why I call it "School Choice*".

That is exactly the agreement that local school systems have with each other (in this area). It was the agreement between WCPS and BGISD for many years until WCPS asked for a cap in 2001. "School choice" is available if you live in another local county and want to attend BGISD (or Warren County). BGISD has continued to support the idea of "any and all". So, all BGISD resident students who want to attend WCPS are allowed to do so.

Most of the BGISD non-resident students enter as they begin elementary school. They likely have family ties with the BG system, much like PP92 described. The loyalty and commitment of those folks speaks volumes for the type of education being produced by the BGISD. Mr. Clayton testified to the State Bd of Ed, that "perception" was the reason so many wanted to leave WCPS and go to BGISD. It is obvious he has misjudged the loyalty factor of so many Purple families.