Williamsburg Job

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Hicks is at Greenup Co., they finished 19-11 and won their district and were 4 points away from playing in the region finals. Rumor has it that the higher ups at Greenup want him gone. He is Billy Hicks nephew. He might be a person of interest for the job at Williamsburg.

Names of interest from this area:

1. Vernon, either of the three would be great hires. I think Mark is the most likely of the three to consider the position.

2. Woods (either of the two) local boys who win where ever they are. Not sure Williamsburg can afford either of them. I can not see these guys in the class room.

3. Guffy, a young coach with a lot of energy and a point to prove. Could be a great hire. Nothing like scorn to motivate a man.

4. West, was very successful at Williamsburg. Maybe enough of the old faces have changed to allow his return.

5. Prewitt, a good basketball coach living within the city limits. He would be a great hire, but I cannot see him leaving the county.

6. Evans, did not have great success at Whitley, but he has had success in the past. Would probably be a good hire.

7. Jim Rains, has always coached girls but is a very good basketball coach. If he would accept the job, he would be an ideal hire.

8.Mike Crowley a Williamsburg native with good coaching skills.

Just a few names that would fit nicely with the Williamsburg program. What do you think Southern?

Names of interest from this area:

1. Vernon, either of the three would be great hires. I think Mark is the most likely of the three to consider the position.

2. Woods (either of the two) local boys who win where ever they are. Not sure Williamsburg can afford either of them. I can not see these guys in the class room.

3. Guffy, a young coach with a lot of energy and a point to prove. Could be a great hire. Nothing like scorn to motivate a man.

4. West, was very successful at Williamsburg. Maybe enough of the old faces have changed to allow his return.

5. Prewitt, a good basketball coach living within the city limits. He would be a great hire, but I cannot see him leaving the county.

6. Evans, did not have great success at Whitley, but he has had success in the past. Would probably be a good hire.

7. Jim Rains, has always coached girls but is a very good basketball coach. If he would accept the job, he would be an ideal hire.

8.Mike Crowley a Williamsburg native with good coaching skills.

Just a few names that would fit nicely with the Williamsburg program. What do you think Southern?

1-Mark is looking for a college, Brent is a possiblity. Both are oustanding young men.

2-Interesting but I agree with you.

3-Guffy as a assistant sounds good, waits his turn.

4-Coach West may move on to clear waters, but something tells me not on the Cumberland River. Great basketball mind. The old faces are gone, who knows.

5-Rich has shown a little interest actually, but not likely. I think he really wanted the Whitley job.

6-Evans is a solid coach, I think KC is in his future in the next year or two.

7-Jim Rains is about done, will finish up in the near future.

8-A name I had forgot about.

The job has just been posted lets see who bites.

I did not see it myself but a certain Supt from a school of Orange and White was reported to be wining and dining a certain Coach at the Sweet 16 today.

Any of the Coaches listed above would be better than where the Jackets have been for the past several seasons. The big hire at Whitley has to put some pressure on the Administration to do this right......Can you imagine a district with three head Coaches who have all coached teams to the sweet 16 with one of them having a state title and the others winning games at that level.

Maybe, I am in the minority, but I think the Williamsburg job holds a lot of potential and could be a very good job for the right fit. The boosters at Williamsburg are a good natured, fun loving group. Nobody in the state has a more loyal following than Williamsburg. Williamsburg is a small school, but there are always a few good ball players in their system. There may not be enough talent to contend for the regional title every season, but there is always enough talent to put a winning team on the floor. Every six to eight years, Williamsburg has enough talent to compete for the regional title. The Williamsburg fan base understands the cyclic nature of athletics in a small school and would be supportive to a good coach in the off seasons. Williamsburg is a very good school and would be a nice place for a coach with young kids to eduacte his children. Williamsburg is a nice place to live with easy access to the interstate and the Knoxville and Lexington areas which would allow a big city coach to be able to go to dinner and enjoy the cultural activities at UT or UK. I am just saying that Williamsburg is not one of thoses isolated little burgs that a lot of college graduates fear or dread. I think Williamasburg would ba a fantastic place for a young coach to start his career or for an older coach to end his career. If the administration is willing to look hard enough and concentrate on selling the town, school and residents, I think they can make a very good hire without having to offer $85, 000 a season to their basketball coach.