Girls sports - Why are private schools so much stronger than in boys sports?

I think we have discussed this to a point that we both understand each other well and agree with each other on several points. I agree with what you are saying. But for the urban and private schools, mostly in urban areas, these leagues/opportunities do not put a major hardship on the parents/players.

At the same point, EXCELLENT people to run the leagues and coach is very limited. Most time, you have to have the HS/MS coaches involved to adequately fill/run the league. During the season, that is an extremely difficult thing for the coaches at the HS/MS level to be involved in.

If you choose to participate in a league outside of the county, they may preclude you from participating in a league in another sport within the county. In urban areas you could go to softball practice at 4:00 and make your basketball game at 7:00. Not possible, if you are in a rural area.

Not to mention, having to do all of that means they are not at home spending time with their family and being the father/mother they should be. In rural counties, alot of times it becomes a choice between the two. It did for me and I got out.

I understand what you're saying...but again...that's a choice...

For the record, I can not tell you how many family meals (especially during baseball season) have consisted of concession stand food! :lol:

Luckily in Football, we always had a little tailgate meal after the games...:D Anyone want to know why the private schools tailgate better than the public schools? :D JUST KIDDING! NOT WANTING TO START ANOTHER DEBATE! :lol:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand what you're saying...but again...that's a choice...

For the record, I can not tell you how many family meals (especially during baseball season) have consisted of concession stand food! :lol:

Luckily in Football, we always had a little tailgate meal after the games...:D Anyone want to know why the private schools tailgate better than the public schools? :D JUST KIDDING! NOT WANTING TO START ANOTHER DEBATE! :lol:

Because they are RICH and can afford LOBSTER TAILS AND SIRLOIN. I am majorly kidding also.:lol:

The size of my belly shows too many McDonalds drive thru meals.

And I agree to an extent it is a choice. The difference between private/public. Private schools parents, everyone, are active in their child's education. SOME public school parents think education is 1)not necessary; 2)serve as babysitters.

Yet we are to take those parent's childrens and compete with you guys.

Because they are RICH and can afford LOBSTER TAILS AND SIRLOIN. I am majorly kidding also.:lol:

The size of my belly shows too many McDonalds drive thru meals.

And I agree to an extent it is a choice. The difference between private/public. Private schools parents, everyone, are active in their child's education. SOME public school parents think education is 1)not necessary; 2)serve as babysitters.

Yet we are to take those parent's childrens and compete with you guys.

I understand...

In the end, the crux of the whole problem is what we have let public education devolve into, by virtue of what devolving standards we hold individual responsibility to.

Does that make any sense?

I understand...

In the end, the crux of the whole problem is what we have let public education devolve into, by virtue of what devolving standards we hold individual responsibility to.

Does that make any sense?

For me, who has held many conversations with you on this matter, I understand it and agree with it.

Across the board in girls sports, private schools are traditionally very strong. Assumption, Notre Dame in volleyball, several schools in soccer, Lex Cath, Sacred Heart, Notre Dame, Mercy, CAL in basketball, etc, etc.

Why are girls' sports so much more dominated by private schools than boys sports are?

Guru started the thread on basketball and that is a great example. Basketball has been dominated the past 7-8 years by Sacred Heart and Lex Catholic.

I know you will be surprised to learn, I have some opinions but would like to hear others first.

I honestly don't have an answer on this.

I honestly don't have an answer on this.

I am speechless.

And I don't really either. Except, I wonder if academics don't play a part. Traditionally, girls athletes are WONDERFUL students. And thus, they look for schools that are perceived to be more challenging academic schools.

If you look in the record book for the KHSAA almost all girls b-ball records are held by public schools. In the last 43 girls state b-ball titles only 8 of those have been one by privates...of which 6 were won since 1999.

The over-all history is in favor of the public school. I can tell you that I was at Sacred Heart in the early 80's. I had sisters graduate before me and after me...besides 1976 we did not have the best teams...we had some very good athletes and some success but nothing close to what you saw from the publics.

I'm not real sure what my whole point of this post...just thought this stuff was interesting.

BEST post I have read. The job for the rec program is to provide a sport for everyone to play not build players. Yet, for most rural communities that is the only choice without driving an hour one way for a league.

Should there be separate champsionships for rural schools and urban schools?

Not trying to be a wiseacre, but the field will never truely be even. How could a team from say, Clay County, ever compete with urban/subruban schools?

Not to hijack this thread, but taking this to football, how can the rural counties compete with the urban/suburban schools?

Should there be separate champsionships for rural schools and urban schools?

Not trying to be a wiseacre, but the field will never truely be even. How could a team from say, Clay County, ever compete with urban/subruban schools?

There is some thread here in this forum that I propose what I feel would be the best way to handle this Prop 20 situation.

http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=86225

There is some thread here in this forum that I propose what I feel would be the best way to handle this Prop 20 situation.

http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=86225

I'm confused, does that address rural vs. urban/suburban? I agree with you that the rural counties are at a disadvantage as far as ease of competition and league participation, but I don't know how one would fix the problem.

Ladiesbballcoach, I had a question for you? Do you know how some of the public schools handle offseason basketball? The reason I ask is because I'd hedge a guess that for most the offseason isn't nearly as strenuous as say Lex Cath's or Sacred Heart's offseasons. I'd also guess it ranges from rural to urban areas and also the overall schools level of committment to the program.

While I know there can be lots of arguements about out of city players and what not for Lexington Catholic. A lot of people forget how well this program is run in the offseason. The school has really worked hard to provide their sports teams compitent Strength and Conditioning coaches to help their players get in the best shape. They also compete hard in AAU ball throughout the summer and the coaches are constantly working with the players during the times of the year they can practice to improve upon their skills.

Lex Cath's middle school program also does help players. Briana Green competed in it all but 8th grade and really improved her skills as well as Natalie Novosel. Shannon Novosel who graduated last year may be the greatest example of that middle school program really improving a player. She played with my sister in 6th and 7th grade and all she had was height. By 8th grade and her freshman year she had really developed around the basket though.

Obviously this would suggest certain schools can devote more time to their programs than others. Sadly, in most areas of this state, girls basketball is going to get forgotten behind boys football, baseball, or basketball. A truth about Lexington Catholic is that it has benefitted from the sad shape of girls basketball in Franklin Co. and Frankfort. If you can attend Lex Cath versus either of these programs, why wouldn't you? It has a lot to offer in the way of coaching, exposure, great competition, and ability to prepare you for college.

To be honest I don't know how programs like Sacred Heart, Assumption, Notre Dame, Mercy or others are run but I'd say I'm safe in assuming the schools devote more time than many public schools do to their sports obviously because boys sports don't play a role.

Some would work as hard. Some would do about half. Some would do nowhere near that amount.

During my time as varsity coach, we averaged about 60 games a summer for varsity and JV combined. We had shootarounds and offseason weight training.

What we do not have is a strength coach completed dedicated to guiding and supervising all of our athletes workout. That is left to me to do. BTW, Coach Todd introduced him at a coaching clinic and gave the workout to us that they do and the strength coach supervises. Freeing Coach Todd to do other things.

I did stea...I mean borrow the preseason conditioning program and parts of the workout. I did not have the time, since I had to do it myself because we do not have our own strength coach, or resources to do all of the strength training.

Ladiesbballcoach, I had a question for you? Do you know how some of the public schools handle offseason basketball? The reason I ask is because I'd hedge a guess that for most the offseason isn't nearly as strenuous as say Lex Cath's or Sacred Heart's offseasons. I'd also guess it ranges from rural to urban areas and also the overall schools level of committment to the program.

While I know there can be lots of arguements about out of city players and what not for Lexington Catholic. A lot of people forget how well this program is run in the offseason. The school has really worked hard to provide their sports teams compitent Strength and Conditioning coaches to help their players get in the best shape. They also compete hard in AAU ball throughout the summer and the coaches are constantly working with the players during the times of the year they can practice to improve upon their skills.

Lex Cath's middle school program also does help players. Briana Green competed in it all but 8th grade and really improved her skills as well as Natalie Novosel. Shannon Novosel who graduated last year may be the greatest example of that middle school program really improving a player. She played with my sister in 6th and 7th grade and all she had was height. By 8th grade and her freshman year she had really developed around the basket though.

Obviously this would suggest certain schools can devote more time to their programs than others. Sadly, in most areas of this state, girls basketball is going to get forgotten behind boys football, baseball, or basketball. A truth about Lexington Catholic is that it has benefitted from the sad shape of girls basketball in Franklin Co. and Frankfort. If you can attend Lex Cath versus either of these programs, why wouldn't you? It has a lot to offer in the way of coaching, exposure, great competition, and ability to prepare you for college.

To be honest I don't know how programs like Sacred Heart, Assumption, Notre Dame, Mercy or others are run but I'd say I'm safe in assuming the schools devote more time than many public schools do to their sports obviously because boys sports don't play a role.

I don't disagree with you that LC does a great job developing kids with their middle school programs both boys and girls. I do disagree with you about the girls basketball being in sad shape in Franklin County. That is obviously a perception that many from Lexington Catholic want to perpetuate. I know for a fact that many of the girls that grow up in Franklin County have developed their skills under parents and middle coaches in Franklin County. I personally know many of these people that have helped these kids. The fact of the matter is that they had solid fundamentals before the first LC coach ever entered the picture. What the schools in Frankfort need to do is fight to keep the local talent in Frankfort and challenge this negative perception that many in Lexington want to perpetuate.

I don't disagree with you that LC does a great job developing kids with their middle school programs both boys and girls. I do disagree with you about the girls basketball being in sad shape in Franklin County. That is obviously a perception that many from Lexington Catholic want to perpetuate. I know for a fact that many of the girls that grow up in Franklin County have developed their skills under parents and middle coaches in Franklin County. I personally know many of these people that have helped these kids. The fact of the matter is that they had solid fundamentals before the first LC coach ever entered the picture. What the schools in Frankfort need to do is fight to keep the local talent in Frankfort and challenge this negative perception that many in Lexington want to perpetuate.

Sorry if I was wrong, I will admit I personally haven't gotten a great look at the Franklin Co. program in awhile and was going off what some other people have said (which you are right, are from lexington, and many LCHS). I know Lex Cath does benefit from Good Shepard occassionally and the talent that comes out of that school. They compete against many of the parochials in Lexington in the parochial school bball league and have been solid the past few years. I believe a bigger hurt for Franklin can also just be its proximity to Lexington and the fact that some of that talent from there sees Lex Cath as perhaps a better way of really allowing them to showcase their talent and perhaps continue on to the next level of basketball. Whether that is accurate or not, it still is a perception many will see considering the comparison of Franklin's bball programs and their success, versus Catholic's. You're right, if Franklin wants to really change this trickle of talent to Lexington, they need to work to change this perception.\

I also apologize for saying sad shape, in hindsight, I probably mean more just the relative comparison between each program and the success difference. I had heard a rumor of unhappiness w/ the coach there I thought it was, which really affected the decision of where to go by Cash and one of the starters, I thought Davis but maybe Sickles. Course, rumors are rumors, and it was Catholic parents close to the program who said it. I also think im referring to Frankfort when speaking of that deal, not Franklin Co. High.

Some would work as hard. Some would do about half. Some would do nowhere near that amount.

During my time as varsity coach, we averaged about 60 games a summer for varsity and JV combined. We had shootarounds and offseason weight training.

What we do not have is a strength coach completed dedicated to guiding and supervising all of our athletes workout. That is left to me to do. BTW, Coach Todd introduced him at a coaching clinic and gave the workout to us that they do and the strength coach supervises. Freeing Coach Todd to do other things.

I did stea...I mean borrow the preseason conditioning program and parts of the workout. I did not have the time, since I had to do it myself because we do not have our own strength coach, or resources to do all of the strength training.

Haha, I understand what you mean about that. I know that both men who work w/ the girls and guys programs have good ties to the school and love working w/ the teams. It is definately a benefit the school has, to be able to have them come in and help. I know in football there, we didn't use that and occassionally it meant making the coaches have to work pretty hard to have to also focus on strength and conditioning w/ us.

I gotta say though, just as a compliment to you, that its great hearing about people who work hard to really help girls sports, ecspecially for a county school, they sometimes don't get nearly the attention they deserve in this state.