Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

St. Henry 2 Holy Cross 0

Featured Replies

First and fore most no need to welcome cbcs to BGP I have been here for quite some time. and just for the record I do not get my feelings hurt so need to throw that out there, but I have sat back and watched the threads all year, and feel it is time to voice my opinion. I have been able to make it out and watch a lot of games around NKY this year and have truly enjoyed watching what these kids do. Not team in particular just enjoy watching these boys put all their heart out on the field. Holy Cross has def. had their ups and downs this year as a program. You can see that in their record and the few games I have been to. I have sat back and watched a lot NKY top programs bash holy cross. Just in regional threads alone it has been all about how dirty Holy Cross is, and then as people post it goes from team to one player in particular. I have been able to watch almost every program in nky play this year, and every single program has at least one player who plays this way. Some programs are even a lot worse than this player. At what point and what level of soccer does this not happen. What are you more upset with, that he plays hard and wins calls or are you more upset that he is able to get inside the head of your kids, and take them out of their game. If you want to put the blame on anyone put it on the refs. if you all see so much of him being so dirty why cant the refs see it. Last night it finally happened. the refs as well as coaches know the style of play and there is always on every team going to be a player who tugs shirts gets extra physical in your eyes throws elbows. but why bash a program with a bunch of kids who go out and play their absolute heart out. talented not really, physical absolutely. from talking to holy cross coaches they train their boys hard to be in shape and not be afraid of the game turning physical. I have watched holy cross coach pull one of his best players out of a game and send him home for losing his cool and cursing on the field during a game. I also have had conversations with NCC and Coopers coaching staff about their programs and about the games they had against HC. I was lucky to be able and attend both of those games. NCC who was the only team to be able to beat HC by 4 goals. MCdonald said they play hard, they play with every bit of heart they have. He was impressed with the effort and no quit. Never once did he discuss any dirty play. Coopers coaching staff, never said anything negative about holy cross but was greatly impressed with the progress they have made from last year. as well as the fact they are not scared to go up against anyone despite the small size of the program. if you want to watch a straight up no physical soccer game and just see the fundamentals I invite you out to my 8 year old sons games. If that is what you want to watch. Soccer at any level from high School on up will never be what you expect, there is going to be "dirty play". I never saw any opposing player come out of an HC game that was hurt and not be able to return, but as I said I did not see all of their games. I was able to see the game last night. boys are boys emotions run high. do I condone pushing and acting vicious off the ball, absolutely not. He lost his cool and got carded which is what should have happened. and he didn't return to the game. From reading these blogs all year all I can do is congratulate HC on a well fought year. because it seems as though every team was expecting to cake walk all over HC. and from what I have seen all HC did was make every team earn their victory from start to finish. Good luck to all the teams finishing out the regionals. I look forward to watching Thursday nights games.

 

On a side note, as an avid deer hunter that buck that interrupted the game was a trophy. Beautiful Buck and would have looked great in my trophy room.

  • Replies 65
  • Views 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a different note, I think it's a pity that, even though the first round of regionals was being played at St. Henry's home field, neither the school principal or assistant principal thought it worthwhile to attend, even though their own boys soccer team were participating. It was nice to see several teachers there, in an unofficial capacity, to support the boys.

 

:popcorn:

even possibly Clyde

 

I've seen Clyde at a soccer game before....seriously. And, God willing, he may be a fixture at high school soccer games in the next few years. The soccer community of NKY better be ready!! :watching:

  • Author

" At what point and what level of soccer does this not happen. What are you more upset with, that he plays hard and wins calls or are you more upset that he is able to get inside the head of your kids, and take them out of their game. If you want to put the blame on anyone put it on the refs. if you all see so much of him being so dirty why cant the refs see it."

 

Sorry cbcs....couldn't quote everything....

 

I have seen one HC game......in it, they received 6 cards.......two for 3 fouls in a row.........another where the player purposely grabbed a player and ran his hand over his head to try to start something......another given when the two were tangled and on the ground the HC player grabbed his leg and started twisting........refs gave out 6 ......that is trying to control it......

 

" I never saw any opposing player come out of an HC game that was hurt and not be able to return, but as I said I did not see all of their games"

 

So it is ok to play this way until someone gets hurt?

Otb84, thanks for condensing that cbcs post a little. I wouldn't have the time or patience to read something that lengthy on here.

  • Author

One last point (I know....yeah right)....and although using a quote in this thread, I truly mean it as a general comment.....

 

cbcs "I have sat back and watched a lot NKY top programs bash holy cross. Just in regional threads alone it has been all about how dirty Holy Cross is, and then as people post it goes from team to one player in particular."

 

My general point.......reporting something that has happened does not qualify as "bashing" or picking on.

 

Also...other than in my reply describing a specific play in the cch/HC thread, I haven't seen one specific player mentioned. In my reply, it was as a direct answer to a HC post calling out a specific CCH player by number. My reply mentioned a HC player by number in describing the specific situation that occurred.

 

Other than that....only actions and situation were reported. No player was mentioned. If you diasagree with the actions and you can identify this player by the actions, then there may be an issue with the way the player is playing.......

I also have had conversations with NCC and Coopers coaching staff about their programs and about the games they had against HC. I was lucky to be able and attend both of those games. NCC who was the only team to be able to beat HC by 4 goals. MCdonald said they play hard, they play with every bit of heart they have. He was impressed with the effort and no quit. Never once did he discuss any dirty play. Coopers coaching staff, never said anything negative about holy cross but was greatly impressed with the progress they have made from last year. as well as the fact they are not scared to go up against anyone despite the small size of the program.

 

I chose not to quote everything either from cbcs....

 

Just like spectators have been told the ref cannot see everything... how about, neither can the coaches, or the fans. I am not sure that you are expressing their words in the right context either, maybe you are, I am just not sure.

 

They might not have outwardly said anything about dirty play, or even mentioned it. This does not mean they do/do not feel that way... you would not know this unless you specifically ask them that question... maybe you did, maybe you didn't, can't tell by your comments above.

 

I am still standing by what I saw on more than one instance in a HC match, I also feel that people should understand the difference between playing hard and intentionally doing things that fall outside of the rules.

First and foremost congrats to St Henry on the win, good luck with Boone Co. Second, congrats to Holy Cross on a great season and improving on their record from a year ago (2013 5-16-2 -- 2014 9-10-4). Hopefully Holy Cross can continue to improve and should be a contender in the region next year.

 

As far as the style of play by Holy Cross... I think that there is nothing wrong with physical play. Holy Cross plays a physical game, and let's face it, it is high school soccer. In the few games that I have seen Holy Cross play there has been nothing "dirty". What I have noticed is that Holy Cross may not have been up to speed with the game and their challenges were coming in late. A late challenge isn't always a dirty challenge. I have also noticed that Holy Cross' coach will let his boys play and when they are starting to become persistant he will sub them out to let them cool down. When a card is issued they sit on the pine for the rest of the game. I know the coaching staff does not encourage "dirty" play, but they do want their boys to play physical.

 

Again, good luck to St. Henry. Watch out for them long throws.

Again, good luck to St. Henry. Watch out for them long throws.

 

Welcome to BGP, Oregano!

What do you mean by long throws?

EyeJustWatch, my advice to you is if you're going to be offended or upset about what you read on soccer fora perhaps you should not read them. People on this blog aren't "taking the bait", they are expressing their own opinion of what they see on the field.

 

I disagree with this. I feel that EyeJustWatch has a valid point. Even though this an open blog, you still have to adhere to morals and respect of both the kids and spectators of the sport. I wonder if most of the people who post or reply on this blog would really have the gutts (for lack of the ability to use another word) to make these comments face to face OR Spectator to Player because you know the kids are reading this too! It takes NO effort to be nasty, judgmental, or to criticize children/parents/coaches from the annoynomus seat behind your keyboard. Honestly critiquing a soccer game and giving your perspective is one thing- arogantly finger pointing and being judgemental is another. It's a fine line that tends to be crossed. PLEASE, do us all a favor and keep your comments classy and respectful to all of us fans who enjoy the sport and enjoy discussing our opinions in positive environment. This is directed to MANY people, so please don't take it personal.

Fanofsports, you're entitled to disagree, that's your prerogative. I absolutely adhere to the rules of this forum, including adhering to the morals and respect aspect. I would have no problem whatsoever being upfront with the players and/or spectators. If I see a player going in on another player with a dirty undercut, or jab in the kidney, or late dangerous tackle, then that player or parent deserves to bear the brunt of the "critics".

You have got to remind yourself, this forum is mainly comprised of opinions, of what people see from wherever they are on the field or in the stands. Nothing is written in stone. If the kids who read this can identify themselves from the negative comments posted, perhaps they will dial back the dirty play a little. I do NOT agree with posting player names or numbers. I never have, and won't.

Welcome to BGP, Oregano!

What do you mean by long throws?

 

No need to reply to this question. I PM'd him with the answer.

  • Author

Fanosports.......

 

If I am not a players coach or parent, or asked for feedback from that player, I have no right to give my opinion to him or her. Same as yelling at a specific player from the stands.......

 

....but in a forum meant to discuss opinions and thoughts, it is absolutely the right place. I have stated on here before that I agree with W848 about not calling players out by numbers........UNLESS you are directly responding to someone calling out someone else. Reference my response a couple of posts back......

 

What needs to be said, is that this is the Bluegrass Preps Boys soccer forum.......not the "BlueGrass Preps every day is sunny, everyone gets a participation award, think only happy thoughts" forum.........Opinions and observations will be made. If you disagree with one, debate....bring facts, and hold people to their statements and make them provide proof. If proof is given, facts are presented, well, then it is what it is.....

Fanosports.......

 

If I am not a players coach or parent, or asked for feedback from that player, I have no right to give my opinion to him or her. Same as yelling at a specific player from the stands.......

 

....but in a forum meant to discuss opinions and thoughts, it is absolutely the right place. I have stated on here before that I agree with W848 about not calling players out by numbers........UNLESS you are directly responding to someone calling out someone else. Reference my response a couple of posts back......

 

What needs to be said, is that this is the Bluegrass Preps Boys soccer forum.......not the "BlueGrass Preps every day is sunny, everyone gets a participation award, think only happy thoughts" forum.........Opinions and observations will be made. If you disagree with one, debate....bring facts, and hold people to their statements and make them provide proof. If proof is given, facts are presented, well, then it is what it is.....

 

How often is "proof" given on a soccer forum with regard to play?

Fanosports.......

 

If I am not a players coach or parent, or asked for feedback from that player, I have no right to give my opinion to him or her. Same as yelling at a specific player from the stands.......

 

....but in a forum meant to discuss opinions and thoughts, it is absolutely the right place. I have stated on here before that I agree with W848 about not calling players out by numbers........UNLESS you are directly responding to someone calling out someone else. Reference my response a couple of posts back......

 

What needs to be said, is that this is the Bluegrass Preps Boys soccer forum.......not the "BlueGrass Preps every day is sunny, everyone gets a participation award, think only happy thoughts" forum.........Opinions and observations will be made. If you disagree with one, debate....bring facts, and hold people to their statements and make them provide proof. If proof is given, facts are presented, well, then it is what it is.....

 

How often is "proof" given on a soccer forum with regard to play?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.