Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Northern Ky Teams in CUSL

Featured Replies

I've only been involved with NKSA and i've been happy so far. The question i have is with all of the club organizations how do the big ones evaluate and form teams year after year? My crazy idea of select/club is you have a tryout and rate the players from best to worst and form your teams every season with out the coaches being involved in the process At least not involved with their own age group so politics stay out of it. I noticed with NKSA some of the age groups had too much input from the current coaches on the teams being formed. I know you would like to keep a group together so they gel but if you keep the same players you won't improve as much as adding better skilled players that come along. Maybe my line of thought is way off. Could someone with more experience let me know how it works.

 

Thanks

 

I think your line of thinking is correct, but politics will always be involved.

  • Author
I've only been involved with NKSA and i've been happy so far. The question i have is with all of the club organizations how do the big ones evaluate and form teams year after year? My crazy idea of select/club is you have a tryout and rate the players from best to worst and form your teams every season with out the coaches being involved in the process At least not involved with their own age group so politics stay out of it. I noticed with NKSA some of the age groups had too much input from the current coaches on the teams being formed. I know you would like to keep a group together so they gel but if you keep the same players you won't improve as much as adding better skilled players that come along. Maybe my line of thought is way off. Could someone with more experience let me know how it works.

 

Thanks

 

I'll try to answer your question with both my opinion, but also how I know several of the Cincinnati clubs are handled, but the answer in every case at every club is ultimately "it depends".

 

At each age group, it starts with the top team (the "A" team, if you will). If you have a coach / coaches that the club believes in, that the club feels like is developing kids, they (individually and collectively as a team) are improving, they represent the club the right way, and they are giving people a positive experience while the son or daughter gets better, than they should absolutely be involved. A prominent club in northern Cincinnati will use the coach's opinion during evaluation as about 99% of the final decision, because they know what they have, what they need, and who will and won't fit in with the team. Good coaches, the whole picture, not just good X's and O's coaches, are really hard to come by, so you certainly don't want to jam kids down their throat that you don't think will fit or will derail momentum or the development of the other kids on the team. One of the best team in U11 in the city, from the Beechmont Soccer Club, have only changed one kid a year since U8, and they have improved like gang-busters, the kids have a great time, and the parents are having a great experience.

 

For the 2nd, 3rd, and so on teams from the club, it trickles down from there. In most cases those teams are formed and then coaches are selected, not vice versa, so the club and the top team's coaches will have had the most involvement. Derek Smith, when he was with Kings and coaching several of the top teams, handled it exactly like I've described. Were there politics with some of Derek's selections? Probably. Did some kids go to NKSA because they were dissatisfied with Derek? Yes. But by and large, he'd take the 9 or 10 or 12 he wanted, then he'd work the other teams from there.

 

The whole process of evaluating kids' ability to play based on a couple of nights of ball-skill drills and small numbered games can be a bit of a crap-shoot to begin with, so it will never be an exact science.

  • Author
I think your line of thinking is correct, but politics will always be involved.

 

The short version to my long answer....if I'd had seen your answer Nees I'd have saved myself a lot of time. :D

There was a point where getting into CUSL was a bigger deal. CUSL kept OE out for years, but I think with Buckeye expanding and every league fighting for teams, I would be surprised if CUSL has any requirements really.

  • Author
There was a point where getting into CUSL was a bigger deal. CUSL kept OE out for years, but I think with Buckeye expanding and every league fighting for teams, I would be surprised if CUSL has any requirements really.

 

They definitely do, because Ohio Elite is sponsoring Lakota Football Club effective this fall. Hadn't been the case back in the spring. Agree with your point though.

What is going on with the U13 NKY boys teams? None of them are having good fall seasons. Where is the talent going? I think Buckeye is dipping into the CUSL teams. The U13 boys only have 3 divisions. My son has played teams in Wilmington and in Dayton that were recently added. I also saw that Independence Soccer Club is now in CUSL.

  • Author
What is going on with the U13 NKY boys teams? None of them are having good fall seasons. Where is the talent going? I think Buckeye is dipping into the CUSL teams. The U13 boys only have 3 divisions. My son has played teams in Wilmington and in Dayton that were recently added. I also saw that Independence Soccer Club is now in CUSL.

 

I know the top NKSA U13 boys team is in Buckeye, but their 2nd and 3rd teams are still in CUSL -- with mixed results. Now that you mention it, that is a class that has historically not been as strong as the few above it and below it. Just one of those classes, I guess.

They definitely do, because Ohio Elite is sponsoring Lakota Football Club effective this fall. Hadn't been the case back in the spring. Agree with your point though.

 

That is not authorized! We have reached the limit for clubs that can use the acronym LFC in this region.

I know the top NKSA U13 boys team is in Buckeye, but their 2nd and 3rd teams are still in CUSL -- with mixed results. Now that you mention it, that is a class that has historically not been as strong as the few above it and below it. Just one of those classes, I guess.

 

Eiler's team is really good. They are also playing in the Kentucky Premier League.

Good luck to your son and his team the rest of the way. Good coaches and good trainers are really important at that level, and I know the head of NKSA is very happy with how that team has been managed. It seems like the changes at Kings over the last few years has given NKSA an opportunity to catch up a little, especially at the younger levels. I think it is healthy for NKY to have two strong programs, keeps both of them honest (so to speak).

 

Welcome to the site Z89, nice to have you and I hope you get even more involved in the months and years to come. Would love to see your input across all of our forums and topics as well!

 

Take care.

 

 

The NKSA Gunners ended up winning the second division U10 in CUSL this past weekend. They should be moving up to the first division next season. The boys had a good season. Props to our defense because they only gave up 7 goals in the league. I think that was one of the things the coaches were stressing this year was to be the best defensive team in the league and they accomplished that. The closet team to that gave up 14 goals.

  • Author
The NKSA Gunners ended up winning the second division U10 in CUSL this past weekend. They should be moving up to the first division next season. The boys had a good season. Props to our defense because they only gave up 7 goals in the league. I think that was one of the things the coaches were stressing this year was to be the best defensive team in the league and they accomplished that. The closet team to that gave up 14 goals.

 

Impressive stuff, congratulations to your son and his teammates. Nice to see young talent representing NKY so well, which was ultimately the point of this thread. The future should be bright for a number of area high schools that will be inheriting these kids in a few years.

......

 

With the fall wrapping up, here are the teams in a good position to be Champs of their divisions:

 

Boys:

 

U8 -- 3rd Division -- NKSA Surf

U9 -- 2nd Division -- KH Central Red 1

U9 -- 6th Division -- KH Select Rogers

U10 -- 2nd Division -- NKSA Gunners

U10 -- 3rd Division -- KH Central Red 2

 

Girls:

 

U8 -- 2nd Division -- KH Central Red 1

U9 -- 5th Division -- KH Central Red 3

U10 -- 4th Division -- KH Select Lightening

U10 -- 8th Division -- KH Select Wolff

U11 -- 1st Division -- KH Central Red 1

U11 -- 2nd Division -- KH Select Woeste

U11 -- 3rd Division -- KH Select Gessner

U12 -- 1st Division -- KH Running Thunder

U13 -- 2nd Division -- NKSA Schutt

U13 -- 3rd Division -- KH Red Hot's

U13 -- 4th Division -- NKSA Bailey

U13 -- 5th Division -- NKSA Bluejays

U14 -- 1st Division -- KH Select Mossinger

U14 -- 4th Division -- KH Select Schumacher

 

I'm sure there could be others that aren't in 1st and could jump up over the next two weeks, but thought this would provide a solid snapshot. A few 1st and a few 2nd division leaders, great to see our youngsters representing the area well with only about 10% of the market's population.

 

U12 -- KH Lightning Webb -- 5th Division

Girls turned in quite a season, performance and results. A few interesting facts:

 

• The team’s overall record was 14-1

• They won their CUSL division with 18 total points

• They outscored every team in the CUSL division with 21 total goals in league play

• They only gave up 6 goals in CUSL league play

• During the two weekend tournaments they scored an additional 37 goals

• During the same two weekends they only gave up 4 goals

• Combined, the Lightning Girls scored 58 goals while giving up only 10 goals the entire season (15 games)

• Above all they captured the spirit of teamwork, demonstrating what it means to work together and be successful at both ends of the field.

 

 

Following is a link to the news article on the team: Lightning strikes 3 times in Florence - #Share_Story

I've only been involved with NKSA and i've been happy so far. The question i have is with all of the club organizations how do the big ones evaluate and form teams year after year? My crazy idea of select/club is you have a tryout and rate the players from best to worst and form your teams every season with out the coaches being involved in the process At least not involved with their own age group so politics stay out of it. I noticed with NKSA some of the age groups had too much input from the current coaches on the teams being formed. I know you would like to keep a group together so they gel but if you keep the same players you won't improve as much as adding better skilled players that come along. Maybe my line of thought is way off. Could someone with more experience let me know how it works.

 

Thanks

 

Z89

your right on especially when you get to U13 and beyond. If the boys and girls are never challenged during tryouts they won't know what it's like to compete for a spot. I believe when they learn how to compete for a roster spot they will appreciate it more and work harder on field. At that level roster spots should never be guaranteed.

Z89

your right on especially when you get to U13 and beyond. If the boys and girls are never challenged during tryouts they won't know what it's like to compete for a spot. I believe when they learn how to compete for a roster spot they will appreciate it more and work harder on field. At that level roster spots should never be guaranteed.

 

Two years ago, NKSA decided to go to a full tryout for U-13 and up. Past coaches had evaluation input from their previous season, but the trainers and directors made the final roster. I believe that it is the same thing right now.

It looks like the spring divisions are set in CUSL with the scheduling meeting this weekend. Good luck to all teams this season!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.