Simon Kenton 63 Oldham 55

I watched Grant play SK three times and Shelby two times. Clearly the best two teams in the region. Shelby is the most athletic team I have seen in the eighth region including the state champs of Shelby in 78 and the great Scott County teams in the late 90's. What is overlooked though is that they are skilled as well. They shoot the ball well and the guards do a nice job distributing to the big men.

The key for SK will be making shots from the perimeter. It is difficult to get much going from the inside because of the size and athleticism of Shelby's post players. Even if Hester breaks down the defense and gets to the rim he will be challenged on the shot and if he dishes Shelby has more than one interior player who will challenge the SK player receiving the ball. Shelby is susceptible to the ball fake.

I think SK will handle the pressure from Shelby when it comes. Shelby uses the press to score in bunches. However, unlike Scott County's red heat or LexCath's 2-2-1 press Shelby will abandon the press if SK starts breaking it down.

Officiating could play a big role especially on the glass. If the refs let em play on the offensive glass SK will have to do a great job of blocking out. Shelby has 3-4 kids that will play above the rim.

I think most of us here in Brave country would like to see the 32nd district prevail. Good luck pioneers. You have the team that could beat the Rockets.

Let's not go overboard here. Shelby is a good team in Ky., this year. To compare them in any way, shape, or form, to the Scott County teams of the late 90's borders on absurd.

In 98 Scott County won a loaded Sweet 16. In 99 they played a strong state schedule, and strong National schedule. Lost two games, to the same team state champ Ballard. Also beat them twice. They were ranked as high as fourth or fifth in the Nation.

Shelby is good, they are very talented. They aren't in the same ballpark as those Scott County teams.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not go overboard here. Shelby is a good team in Ky., this year. To compare them in any way, shape, or form, to the Scott County teams of the late 90's borders on absurd.

In 98 Scott County won a loaded Sweet 16. In 99 they played a strong state schedule, and strong National schedule. Lost two games, to the same team state champ Ballard. Also beat them twice. They were ranked as high as fourth or fifth in the Nation.

Shelby is good, they are very talented. They aren't in the same ballpark as those Scott County teams.

:thumb:

No one mentioned it since everyone eventually knew you would. Oldham was outmatched by SK no matter what the circumstances were. Without any serious backcourt at Oldham, SK had the advantage from start to finish. It does not matter if its injuries or so called "coaches decision", other teams face those issues too. Just don't diminish SK's win to hype your players or make excuses.

Sandman read my post. I did not say that Shelby had a better team than Scott County in the late 90's. I said they were more athletic. There is a real difference. Look at Adam Morrison, JJ Redick, Gerry McNamara, Chris Lofton as guys with more skill than athleticism but I would take any of them to start a team. I stand by my post that Shelby this year is more athletic than Scott in the late 90's.

Sandman read my post. I did not say that Shelby had a better team than Scott County in the late 90's. I said they were more athletic. There is a real difference. Look at Adam Morrison, JJ Redick, Gerry McNamara, Chris Lofton as guys with more skill than athleticism but I would take any of them to start a team. I stand by my post that Shelby this year is more athletic than Scott in the late 90's.

I did read your post, and I had a feeling this would be your response to my post. It had to be, since it's really the only arguement you can make.

I think those Scott County teams were more athletic. BTW, Lofton was a D-I prospect in TWO sports, he's a bit more athletic than people give him credit for.;)