New Whitley County coach...

Would it be bad to be a newly hired administrator and not have your children enrolled in the school system? Not in my opinion, if they live with their mother in another town it is not an issue. I think alot of Coaches let their children finish school in locations other than where they are coaching....Good Luck to Coach Deaton, he has won at every stop.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has happened before. Remember that a certain Corbin coach who ended up playing at Corbin, was actually from Somerset, but ended up at Corbin when his dad took the Whitley County head football coaching job in the early 1980's. Whitley was so bad in football then that even the father wouldn't let his son play there at that time! No new precedents to be set here! :D

I agree..but Steve had played 2 or 3 years at Corbin before big Jackie took the Whitley job and it was Steves senior year.If the son stays at Somerset for senior year no big deal but to bring daughter with you and send her to another school seems alittle out of line.

I agree..but Steve had played 2 or 3 years at Corbin before big Jackie took the Whitley job and it was Steves senior year.If the son stays at Somerset for senior year no big deal but to bring daughter with you and send her to another school seems alittle out of line.

I agree. I think that the kids should go to the school the parent is at.

The times that I saw Whitley County play over the past two years (5) I thought Guffey was doing it right. His kids played hard and showed a will to win. He gave all he could every game on the side lines and you need to remember a coach can only put a player in a position to make plays, the coach can't make the plays for them. If that were the case I think Whitley would have been a State Champion.

Handling "resignations" badly seems to becoming a habit at Whitley County, I wonder what Judgeone's take on this would be, he was adiment in his defense of Mike Campbell, and the poor handling of his situation.

To the new coach (and it looks like Mike Deaton) Good Luck and hope you have great sucess, but don't forget how this was handled, it could be you in three years.

Coach Guffy was not the right man for Whitley and this fact has been evident for at least two years. Had Whitley shown some improvement over the season, Guffy may have been able to keep his job, the truth is however, Whitley did not show significant improvement over the course of the season. The blowout lossess at home in February to relatively weak teams (Russell County, Clinton County, Madison Southern) sealed his fate. Trailing Corbin 40-14 at halftime did not help either.

In addition to the varsity's woe's the JV team was 1-10. Lots of hope had been placed in the freshman and sophmore class as these kids had performed well in the past. 1-10 JV and 5-22 varsity does not exactly spell optimism. As 4chs stated, Guffy had not been able to retain the better basketball players coming in from the middle school. For whatever reason, only one middle school starter remained on the team in the 10th, 11th ,and 12th grades. Two of the best three freshman had already left the team and a third had decided not to play for Guffy next season. All three of these freshmen were two year starters at the middle school. All three were very physicaly mature, heldback kids that could play. No team can compete without retaining their top talent from their feeder program and for unknown reasons this was a problem for Guffy.

As for knowing his fate, he has known for some time that he would not be back and has been rumored to be looking for another job. It would be hard to blame him under the circumstances. Guffy is a good guy and he will find a place that fits his persona much better than Whitley. I personally wish him the best and hope that he has tremendous success in the future.

I follow Madison Central but I want to know how you can consider Southern a weak team. Because they lost to Henry Clay by 12 Lafayette by 5 at Woodford by 6 Tates Creek by 12 beat Clay Co by 21 beat Allen County by 1 beat Bowling Green by 12 Anderson by 15 and lost to Madison Central by 9. They won 17 games and lost 11 7 of which were to teams that had been ranked at one point. The year before they won 19 games and won 9 in the region, which happens to be pretty good the 11th!! They played horrible at Whitley but were up 27 in the third quarter. Southern was about a 25 point favorite till kids started swinging at the Southern kids. How are they weak, hardly anyone in the 11th is weak, maybe 2 or 3 teams, and they play a bunch of fine teams. GO MCHS

Crumjr

Woa, slow down. I meant nothing by my comment. Southern had a nice team not a dominate team. I was simply referring to a string of home games Whitley had in February in which they were blown out. Southern indeed had their way with Whitley. Had the brawl not occurred Southern would have won by at least 30. I think they were up by 27 at the end of three. Whitley lost several games in a row by whopping scores.

What I am hearing from reliable people is that Mike is going to Whitley and if he backs out, Rich has it. His daughter is going to come with him and go to Corbin where her close friends go. Ross is staying with Karen in Somerset (he about came to Corbin last year).

I can see Lonnie being a little upset with Mike being the coach at Whitley County and sending his daughter to Corbin. If it means getting a coach as great as Deaton, I'm sure Lonnie can deal with it. Also if you remember, South Laurels former football coach Randy Leger lived up in Swiss Colony (NL District) and his daughter Taryn was a cheerleader at North even though he coached at South.

Where he sends his children to school is his business. I think most rational people can understand his daughter's desire to recontinue her education at Corbin especially if she has been basically reared in the Corbin School system.

On a cautionary note, I will also say that issues like this are fodder for gossip and ridicule. The Whitley job has great potential but there are undeniably some slippery slopes with regard to the perceptions of the Whitley faithful. To be successful, the new coach is going to have to win the confidense of the community.

Where he sends his children to school is his business. I think most rational people can understand his daughter's desire to recontinue her education at Corbin especially if she has been basically reared in the Corbin School system.

On a cautionary note, I will also say that issues like this are fodder for gossip and ridicule. The Whitley job has great potential but there are undeniably some slippery slopes with regard to the perceptions of the Whitley faithful. To be successful, the new coach is going to have to win the confidense of the community.

Deaton will be successful at Whitley IMO, just give him time. But winning over the community maybe a little harder, thats a tough crowd out there and a BIG community.

If indeed, Mike Deaton is the new coach and according to the paper(Corbin Times), it will be announced Tuesday, with his past history in the 13th region he should have no problem winning confidence of the community. As I remember him at Corbin High School, it was not the commnity that had problems with him but parents who thought their sons were better players than Mr. Deaton did. With time, as I recall, that ironed itself out too.

With winning comes confidence.

On the issue of his daughter or son not attending Whitley County, well I am sure that surrounding schools are breathing a sigh of relief, *wink* It is hard to encourage potential student/athletes to attend Whitley when you own don't go there.

The talent is there but this will be a BIG challenge. The kids have zero confidence in themselves. They need to lift some weights too. Plus they have district teams like SL and Corbin to deal with.

Well, good luck to the next coach and the players next season. They will all need alot of support. There are alot of bad vibes around WC basketball. Alot of it is coming from the parents too.

The incoming 8th graders may have a couple key players to next years team. We gotta win more games next year. 6-21????? Thats not good.

The talent is there but this will be a BIG challenge. The kids have zero confidence in themselves. They need to lift some weights too. Plus they have district teams like SL and Corbin to deal with.

Well, good luck to the next coach and the players next season. They will all need alot of support. There are alot of bad vibes around WC basketball. Alot of it is coming from the parents too.

The incoming 8th graders may have a couple key players to next years team. We gotta win more games next year. 6-21????? Thats not good.

There is something that I have wondered about after talking to(and having others who have talked to them relay this) some parents of current Whitley 8th & 9th graders, why do so many of them expect their kids to receive extensive varsity minutes as freshman? Could this be part of the problem why they do not retain their young players? A couple of the current 8th graders are considering enrolling somewhere else next year because Whitley has so many young players back that their kids will not play much varsity. What is wrong with waiting for your turn and developing at the freshman and JV level?

Is this is a problem at a lot of schools?