New Whitley County coach...

I knew it was going to happen just did not know the time it would be announced. I had not seen anything in the local papers to support the rumors.

The new blood should be good for the Jackets. I hope they can get their basketball as competitive as the football program. I think the Williamsburg administration will do a statewide search and take their time selecting the new Coach. Seems like Whitley had a new Coach before the last season was even finished.

It was a quick hire when you consider their season has only been officially over 8-9 days.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew it was going to happen just did not know the time it would be announced. I had not seen anything in the local papers to support the rumors.

The new blood should be good for the Jackets. I hope they can get their basketball as competitive as the football program. I think the Williamsburg administration will do a statewide search and take their time selecting the new Coach. Seems like Whitley had a new Coach before the last season was even finished.

It basically became official yesterday {wednesday}.I,m pretty sure it will be a 30 day state wide search.

Guess this should be a new thread

I still cant see Whitley getting Deaton..letting his son stay at somerset and his Daughter go to Corbin. Deaton boy would be a good option QB and could be the difference in coming in 1st or 2nd as opposed to 3rd or 4th without him.......not sure what his daughter plays ut Whitleys girls team and facilities are at least equal to Corbins...I can kind of understand the boy staying if he is a senior but to bring the gil and send her to another school seems like a slap in the face.......I still have a feeling before it is all said and done Rich Prewitt will be on the side line.

It basically became official yesterday {wednesday}.I,m pretty sure it will be a 30 day state wide search.

Guess this should be a new thread

I still cant see Whitley getting Deaton..letting his son stay at somerset and his Daughter go to Corbin. Deaton boy would be a good option QB and could be the difference in coming in 1st or 2nd as opposed to 3rd or 4th without him.......not sure what his daughter plays ut Whitleys girls team and facilities are at least equal to Corbins...I can kind of understand the boy staying if he is a senior but to bring the gil and send her to another school seems like a slap in the face.......I still have a feeling before it is all said and done Rich Prewitt will be on the side line.

His daughter plays tennis and she was in the Corbin school system through the 5th grade, so I could understand her coming to Corbin(only the family knows for sure), but I would guess that she stays in S'set also.

I am hearing that his son will stay at Somerset, but that his daughter will come with him and enroll at Corbin.

The word around town is Son stays at somerset and daughter stays at Pulaski. This coming from a VERY close source.

:fight:

The only name that I have heard for months is Deaton. Is anyone else in the running?

I was told that Deaton was interested, then declined, then changed his mind and decided to take it. I think that Rich Prewitt was the back-up plan.

Deaton is a good coach, but then again so is Prewitt, so they couldn't go wrong with either one in my opinion. Whoever takes the job will have an uphill battle at Whitley while competing in the same district as South Laurel and Corbin. They must keep the best players out playing basketball, something that has been a problem at Whitley Co.

I would hope that Coach Guffy was not simply told over the phone that he was being replaced. I can not see any school offical doing something like that.

Good Luck to Coach Guffy I am sure you will be in a better situation in a short time.

I believe that the Deatons are divorced? Mother still teaches in the Corbin School system and lives or is moving to Corbin. I have heard that Mike and Ross will remain in the Somerset area until Ross graduates. I believe Ross would be a better passing QB than option QB...

I believe that the Deatons are divorced? Mother still teaches in the Corbin School system and lives or is moving to Corbin. I have heard that Mike and Ross will remain in the Somerset area until Ross graduates. I believe Ross would be a better passing QB than option QB...

With his size and foot speed, as well as arm strength, it would be a mistake to try and make him run option.

His daughter plays tennis and she was in the Corbin school system through the 5th grade, so I could understand her coming to Corbin(only the family knows for sure), but I would guess that she stays in S'set also.

She also golfs, I believe.

I heard he lives with his mother in the Somerset school district, and that is how he transfered from Pulaski to Somerset. I think he would be better off staying at Somerset, their system is good for him, plus they have a very good reciever back in John Cole. Being from Lynn Camp I would rather see him go to Whitley.:D

Thats what I would want as Super...a head basketball coach whos son plays at Somerset and daughter plays at Corbin.....When was Guffey informed..when was the job posted?

It has happened before. Remember that a certain Corbin coach who ended up playing at Corbin, was actually from Somerset, but ended up at Corbin when his dad took the Whitley County head football coaching job in the early 1980's. Whitley was so bad in football then that even the father wouldn't let his son play there at that time! No new precedents to be set here! :D