Johnson Central 43 Harlan County 14

dragon_slayer

I went to this game, for the purpose of adding Harlan County to my list of stadiums visited. Coal Miners' Memorial didn't disappoint - perhaps the nicest stadium in the state, if you factor in the beauty of the setting and surroundings. As for the game, it was complete domination by Johnson Central. The Golden Eagles are very good offensively and defensively. However, I was very disappointed in Harlan County. They've had solid clubs for several years, but this is not one of those seasons.

I don't know what you mean. They have a weak schedule so far. It is what it is.

If more teams were receptive to scheduling 2 year deals I'm sure it would be upgraded. They were supposed to play a JV game with Lexington Catholic Monday but they called and said they couldn't come. It was many individuals hope that this may lead to a future varsity meeting between the two. Now who knows where that one will be. Pulaski Co. wanted to play a one year deal only at their place and that goes against what we have tried to do. No sense of always having to be road warriors, takes a lot of money to send 3 yellow limos all over the state to play a game every year plus it makes it harder on the next years scheduling with many other teams going after long year agreements. The kids have a right to have a return game at their place. Ironton did not want to renew their contract after last seasons game. Bourbon said no. Fairland was the OVC champions last season in Ohio with everyone coming back, sans their Head Coach. Mastery was 10-2 last season in the same conference as Imhotep. Honestly it is hard to get a lot of teams to come down this way and play. With the lack of access to a major highway and a minimum of a 2.5 hour bus ride, people would rather play teams closer to them. Most teams their size play in the Lex Metro or NKY area where there are an abundance of teams similar in stature, enrollment wise. For the teams close by and willing to schedule a return game they play Belfry and Harlan Co. They have reached out to Prestonsburg and some of the stronger teams in lower classes to no avail. The PCC games were made when Coach Haddix was there. With him at Corbin they may be able to work something out. The Harlan Co. game was made after a state-semi showing, no one knew how they would turn out. I cannot emphasize the fact that being a large school in a small pond is difficult. I can also understand teams not wanting to schedule teams within their Region. Not like it has mattered in the past with Highlands and CCH but it is always tougher to defeat a team twice. Highlands is moving up as well as CCH while LexCath and Boyle are moving down. Boyle was an excellent game for them back in 09 and 10. We were on the losing side of both, one in a land slide and the other was a highly competitive game, but it really helped us out along the way. Boyle and LexCath will now be in the same class as Belfry so it may be wise for them to reach out to get their kids a preview of what they could face. Many WV and OH teams do not want to play due to how their playoff systems are organized and a loss could hurt their chances at a higher seed. This is difficult process. As someone that has tried to help find those teams through ListServ, many responses have been sent and inquiries have been posted. I know of one that was sent out last week seeking interest in Weeks 2 and 3 of next year but we have yet to get a response. Next season we pick up an extra district foe and that drops a potential open date, confining the already tight schedule at the end of the year with district play. By no means am I saying we are world beaters. I stated earlier this year that with the youth of this football team they would be one year away from being really solid. The younger guys have picked up the slack from the departed and have exceeded expectations, regardless of their schedule. This years D starts 1 freshman, 6 sophs, 3 juniors and 1 senior. The offense starts 4 seniors, 5 juniors and 2 sophomores, with 2 sophs getting alternating reps with 2 seniors. I'm stand firm on my assertion that this team is still one year away from being special, independent of the class reorganization. By special, do I mean take CCH or Highlands to the woodshed? No, just meaning they will be able to compete for a full 48 minutes against those types of foes. I know it is a round about way of the point I was trying to make about the schedule, but if other teams are able to schedule how they seem fit, why always slam JC for standing firm on their principles of a 2 year contract. They play those that agree to play them and that is what it is.

If more teams were receptive to scheduling 2 year deals I'm sure it would be upgraded. They were supposed to play a JV game with Lexington Catholic Monday but they called and said they couldn't come. It was many individuals hope that this may lead to a future varsity meeting between the two. Now who knows where that one will be. Pulaski Co. wanted to play a one year deal only at their place and that goes against what we have tried to do. No sense of always having to be road warriors, takes a lot of money to send 3 yellow limos all over the state to play a game every year plus it makes it harder on the next years scheduling with many other teams going after long year agreements. The kids have a right to have a return game at their place. Ironton did not want to renew their contract after last seasons game. Bourbon said no. Fairland was the OVC champions last season in Ohio with everyone coming back, sans their Head Coach. Mastery was 10-2 last season in the same conference as Imhotep. Honestly it is hard to get a lot of teams to come down this way and play. With the lack of access to a major highway and a minimum of a 2.5 hour bus ride, people would rather play teams closer to them. Most teams their size play in the Lex Metro or NKY area where there are an abundance of teams similar in stature, enrollment wise. For the teams close by and willing to schedule a return game they play Belfry and Harlan Co. They have reached out to Prestonsburg and some of the stronger teams in lower classes to no avail. The PCC games were made when Coach Haddix was there. With him at Corbin they may be able to work something out. The Harlan Co. game was made after a state-semi showing, no one knew how they would turn out. I cannot emphasize the fact that being a large school in a small pond is difficult. I can also understand teams not wanting to schedule teams within their Region. Not like it has mattered in the past with Highlands and CCH but it is always tougher to defeat a team twice. Highlands is moving up as well as CCH while LexCath and Boyle are moving down. Boyle was an excellent game for them back in 09 and 10. We were on the losing side of both, one in a land slide and the other was a highly competitive game, but it really helped us out along the way. Boyle and LexCath will now be in the same class as Belfry so it may be wise for them to reach out to get their kids a preview of what they could face. Many WV and OH teams do not want to play due to how their playoff systems are organized and a loss could hurt their chances at a higher seed. This is difficult process. As someone that has tried to help find those teams through ListServ, many responses have been sent and inquiries have been posted. I know of one that was sent out last week seeking interest in Weeks 2 and 3 of next year but we have yet to get a response. Next season we pick up an extra district foe and that drops a potential open date, confining the already tight schedule at the end of the year with district play. By no means am I saying we are world beaters. I stated earlier this year that with the youth of this football team they would be one year away from being really solid. The younger guys have picked up the slack from the departed and have exceeded expectations, regardless of their schedule. This years D starts 1 freshman, 6 sophs, 3 juniors and 1 senior. The offense starts 4 seniors, 5 juniors and 2 sophomores, with 2 sophs getting alternating reps with 2 seniors. I'm stand firm on my assertion that this team is still one year away from being special, independent of the class reorganization. By special, do I mean take CCH or Highlands to the woodshed? No, just meaning they will be able to compete for a full 48 minutes against those types of foes. I know it is a round about way of the point I was trying to make about the schedule, but if other teams are able to schedule how they seem fit, why always slam JC for standing firm on their principles of a 2 year contract. They play those that agree to play them and that is what it is.

This may be the longest paragraph I have ever read. I did read it from my phone though, so it may look longer than it appeared.

I will have to read it a couple more times to be sure, but from the jist of it, I gather that teams do not want to play JC? If so, why not?

This may be the longest paragraph I have ever read. I did read it from my phone though, so it may look longer than it appeared.

I will have to read it a couple more times to be sure, but from the jist of it, I gather that teams do not want to play JC? If so, why not?

It is a fairly long paragraph and I added no structure to it. If that is the longest paragraph that you have read then you must not have read Dante's "The Devine Comedy." I had to read that for a college class back in the day and it really helped me appreciate Greek Mythology. Really good story, makes you think a lot to seek a higher meaning than just the text itself. But for my long post, yeah, I could have wrote the previous in a 1-3-1 format(Introduction-3 body paragraphs-Conclusion) but for the sake of saving a few minutes I chose not to. I think I gave several valid reasons why, the stickler I believe is the 2 year agreement with most teams. Other than those, the rarity of the offensive scheme we run are about all that I can come up with. Why would some teams choose to play a JC style team when that would be the only time that season they would face it?

From what I have read and heard, here is why no one will play JC

They run the score up on teams when given the opportunity

Many feel the coach has no class and no one likes him

The travel distance

Very physical

Travel distance

Just what I hear, not what I know