September 15, 201412 yr The Vikings gave Adrian Peterson the weekend off for damage control. But now they’re falling back on due process. The team just released a statement from owners Zygi Wilf and Mark Wilf saying the All-Pro running back would fully participate in practices and meetings this week and is expected to play Sunday against the Saints. He was deactivated and not present last week after being indicted on child abuse charges in Texas stemming from what he claimed was disciplining his 4-year-old son with a switch. “Today’s decision was made after significant thought, discussion and consideration,” the statement read. “As evidenced by our decision to deactivate Adrian from yesterday’s game, this is clearly a very important issue. On Friday, we felt it was in the best interests of the organization to step back, evaluate the situation, and not rush to judgment given the seriousness of this matter. At that time, we made the decision that we felt was best for the Vikings and all parties involved. “To be clear, we take very seriously any matter that involves the welfare of a child. At this time, however, we believe this is a matter of due process and we should allow the legal system to proceed so we can come to the most effective conclusions and then determine the appropriate course of action. This is a difficult path to navigate, and our focus is on doing the right thing. Currently we believe we are at a juncture where the most appropriate next step is to allow the judicial process to move forward. We will continue to monitor the situation closely and support Adrian’s fulfillment of his legal responsibilities throughout this process.” It will be interesting to see if the Panthers follow suit with Greg Hardy today, after deactivating their domestic abuse defendant Sunday against the Lions. Vikings owner says Adrian Peterson will play this week | ProFootballTalk
September 15, 201412 yr Author More evidence to me the NFL doesn't give two hoots about women, children, or anyone for that matter when it gets in the way of the NFL making money or an NFL team winning games.
September 15, 201412 yr Wonder how many kids will wear their Peterson jerseys to the next home game????
September 15, 201412 yr Wonder how many kids will wear their Peterson jerseys to the next home game???? Probably most of them.
September 15, 201412 yr OK, let me spin it this way. What if you had an employee of your company that was in computer sales, for instance. He was your best employee, and arguably the best at his job nationwide. He's been accused of something that has to be handled by the judicial system and who knows how long that will take, or the findings therein. Would you let the guy do his thing, or would you can him because of the allegations? I understand it's not that cut and dried, but just playing devil's advocate here.
September 15, 201412 yr OK, let me spin it this way. What if you had an employee of your company that was in computer sales, for instance. He was your best employee, and arguably the best at his job nationwide. He's been accused of something that has to be handled by the judicial system and who knows how long that will take, or the findings therein. Would you let the guy do his thing, or would you can him because of the allegations? I understand it's not that cut and dried, but just playing devil's advocate here. Normally I would say you have to let the system do it's thing. In this case, you have pics and he isn't denying he did it. It's a tough one. My heart says kick his butt to the curb. My head says it not that simple.
September 15, 201412 yr Normally I would say you have to let the system do it's thing. In this case, you have pics and he isn't denying he did it. It's a tough one. My heart says kick his butt to the curb. My head says it not that simple. I feel exactly the same.
September 15, 201412 yr Author Agree Doc this is a special and tough case. Looking at the big picture (NFL as a whole) with the Ray Rice/Roger Goodell thing blowing up and this being of similar ilk I think we need to error on the side of caution and sit AP down. I think the larger issue is the NFL's inconsistent handling of player discipline issues and to be consistent I think they need to sit AP.
September 15, 201412 yr Let's see how Zimmer handles this. I'll have lost all respect for him if he lets AP touch the field Sunday. The Vikings and the NFL are a complete joke.
September 15, 201412 yr Author I want to hear what Zimmer has to say too. I would have at least some respect for him if he would just say we are trying to win football games with our given resources and until the NFL says otherwise AP is playing.
September 15, 201412 yr I want to hear what Zimmer has to say too. I would have at least some respect for him if he would just say we are trying to win football games with our given resources and until the NFL says otherwise AP is playing. And I fully believe that's what will transpire.
September 15, 201412 yr And I fully believe that's what will transpire. Probably so, and I'll be supremely disappointed. Zim always struck me as a guy with integrity and character. Would suck to find out he's just another low-class guy.
September 15, 201412 yr Author Zim strikes me as a strange bird. In other words, nothing would surprise me.
September 15, 201412 yr As of right now, the SportSNation poll has 67% of the country agreeing with the Vikings decision.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.