Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Age limit in High School

Featured Replies

Im sorry but a year will not make a difference, im little, i fyou saw me i dont even look 18. Murray was looking at me until they lost there coach. I want to be able to carry soccer on in college thats my dream.My mindy is set on this. I am no different then any other player out there it should not matter i understand 2 o3 3 yrs,

 

I'm assuming WKY is like NKY in that many of the better soccer players play year-round on club teams. If so, you'll be seen. Do you have highlight tapes of your games? If so, put together a tape and send it out. If you're good enough, they'll check you out this summer and next spring.

 

This is just a roadblock for you. Its not the end of the road. Your coach should be able to help you out as well.

  • Replies 75
  • Views 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of setting a age limit at the high school level, maybe they should set limits for kids starting school so sports cannot be involved in the decision of the parents or school. Example would be : If you will turn 7 before August 1st, you must enroll in school for First grade and no older than 18 before August 1st to be in school for your senior year.

I'm assuming WKY is like NKY in that many of the better soccer players play year-round on club teams. If so, you'll be seen. Do you have highlight tapes of your games? If so, put together a tape and send it out. If you're good enough, they'll check you out this summer and next spring.

 

This is just a roadblock for you. Its not the end of the road. Your coach should be able to help you out as well.

 

Razz: I agree, it is a tough pill to swallow, but if you are truly good enough to earn a scholarship to play soccer at the next level, you can still get it even by not playing as a senior. I assume you will be playing club this spring and summer, that will get you probably more exposure than the high school season in the fall, because college coaches do not do as much recruiting in the fall because their season is in full swing also and they do not have the time. Keep your chin up and play hard this spring!

  • Author

Razz, if you look back in my post(#20) you'll see I stated that if we could change things for a chosen few I'm all for it. It's almost impossible to allow it though. The flood gates will be open so wide, I just can't explain to you what the effects would be and people running to the courts with cases. Let's say they did change it to July 1st. and then how long do you think that will last as the cut off date. It has to end somewhere. You aren't the first person this date has affected and won't be the last. You seem to be a very bright young lady and if playing soccer is what you want to do you'll make it. Don't look at this thing as just being against you it's against a lot of kids that play high school sports. If I was hearing this case as a judge you make a good case for yourself and it may work out for you, in the past there have been a few allowed to play over the age limit. I started this post to see how people felt about the age limit in high school it wasn't about you directly. I just used your case as an example of what can happen to certian kids. I hope you get to come to Murray State and play soccer. I'll make it a point to follow your story. You asked me if I was going there the answer is no, my son is going there to play football starting this fall. If you feel like I was attacking you I'm very, very, truely sorry if that is how you took it. I felt like this would be a good topic of discussion for the people out there about the age limit not you personally...................LTW.

Who has been allowed to play over the age limit? I've never heard of that?

Razz, yes, its unfortunate for you to be in this situation and it is sad to see a child not be able to do something they enjoy. However, IMO there have to be hard and fast rules. While I have no reason to doubt for a second that your parents held you back in order to make sure you were ready and capable to handle the academics, unfortunately there are those parents that are not doing it for the right reason. Secondly, even if EVERY parent did it for the reasons yours did, two thoughts come to mind. First, kids do not go to school to play sports. They go to be prepared for the world. Period. Yes, athletes can get scholarships but that has nothing to do with this. If you truly want to go to college, you'll go to college. Its that simple. If you are good enough to participate in collegiate athletics, you can still do that as well. The second thought deals with the issue of equity and fairness. My son was in the appropriate grade for his age yet he was on the back end of his age group. He was fortunate enough to start the first varsity football game of his sophomore year. He was a few days shy of his 15th birthday. In no way should he be on the field with kids that are already 19 years old. Its unsafe. That HAS to be a priority for the KHSAA. Now, in many sports it is not a safety issue but, rather, simply a "fairness" issue. Its not "fair" to have a 19 year old young man competing against a 15 year old kid.

 

So, back to your situation. Its unfortunate that you cannot play sports your senior season. I truly mean that. I loved my years of participating and cherish those memories. However, look at the big picture. You're a bright young lady who has done what's absolutely the most important thing you can do: succeed academically in high school and prepare yourself for a successful college education. Congratulations to you and thank your mom and dad for that.

 

Best wishes.

 

:thumb: And for the record...... I was not speaking to the girls specific situation. Just to the rules in general.

20 UNNNNN RRRREEEEEAAAALLLL That is a rediculous age for a high school kid, let alone an athlete. However, I think there should be a national age limit set for all states. Indiana has older age for school start up, therefore their 'holdbacks' must really be old. I think there should be a study of the surrounding states and go from there. The older the better for the athlete in most all cases. College coaches like 'maturity'. To me , a 20 year old , battling a 15 year old soph. is ludicrous. IMO the 15 year old is learning how to compete and the 20 year old is learning how to bully. I have a son that is 19 and is a sophomore in college and won't be 20 until he is a junior !

  • Author
Who has been allowed to play over the age limit? I've never heard of that?

Did you read the article, Artose Pinner was apparently over the age limit in 1997-1998 school year when he was playing at Hopkinsville HS. He was 19 years old almost 20 playing high school football. Birth date 01/05/78.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396062

 

I just now got your question? There have been players allow an extra year (under the age limit)I know of. (Boyle Co. player) I'll research the over the age limit thing again. I think it happen in volly-ball. Get back with you soon!!!!!

Did you read the article, Artose Pinner was apparently over the age limit in 1997-1998 school year when he was playing at Hopkinsville HS. He was 19 years old almost 20 playing high school football. Birth date 01/05/78.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396062

 

I just now got your question? There have been players allow an extra year (under the age limit)I know of. (Boyle Co. player) I'll research the over the age limit thing again. I think it happen in volly-ball. Get back with you soon!!!!!

 

According to the article in post #1, the school Pinner played for was penalized for him playing. Had the KHSAA known about it prior to the season, it would NOT have been allowed.

 

Check out the by-law:

 

http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/bylaw3.pdf

 

There is no room for any waivers. There is absolutely NO gray area in this rule.

  • Author

^ True , I just misread the question. I was not thinking clearly until I had posted it and yes had they known they wouldn't have allowed Pinner to play his senior year.

My son is a perfect example of why the rule should stay the same. His birthday is August 1, 1997, and he is in the second grade. His father is 6'8", and my son is 4'10" and 87 pounds with a men's size 8 shoe. He will be 18 at the beginning of his senior year in high school, and if he continues to grow at his current rate, will be a good-sized man against high school kids. It would be grossly unfair for him to be held back and play high school basketball or football at the age of 19 1/2 (by the middle of the basketball season.) Its unfortunate for people like Razz that get the ill effects of the rule, but I feel the rule should be held firm.

  • Author

The perfect birthday for high school sports.(KY) I know of one other kid born on Aug-1. One day eariler and it back with the rest of us. Good post and good luck with your son.

The perfect birthday for high school sports.(KY) I know of one other kid born on Aug-1. One day eariler and it back with the rest of us. Good post and good luck with your son.

Thanks!:thumb:

My son is a perfect example of why the rule should stay the same. His birthday is August 1, 1997, and he is in the second grade. His father is 6'8", and my son is 4'10" and 87 pounds with a men's size 8 shoe. He will be 18 at the beginning of his senior year in high school, and if he continues to grow at his current rate, will be a good-sized man against high school kids. It would be grossly unfair for him to be held back and play high school basketball or football at the age of 19 1/2 (by the middle of the basketball season.) Its unfortunate for people like Razz that get the ill effects of the rule, but I feel the rule should be held firm.

 

 

Then you started your son 1 year later than he was supposed to.

Law states if you turn 6 years old before OCT.1st you are to enroll

in kindergarten.If started at the correct age he would turn 17 in

August of his senior year.

The date should be Oct.1 same as age for academic year.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.