Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

8th Region Draw

Featured Replies

Has that coach been there long? What kind of size do they have? I remember Donta Smith in high school playing in Rupp and he was sensational. I can't remember where he went to college and didn't know he went pro, that's good stuff! The mighty 9th as you called it came close to winning state numerous times but couldn't close the deal. Maybe if the referees in 1978 would have seen Mr. Charles Hurts (sp?) hand up through the rim "blocking" a shot the 9th would have another one, but as it stands my Pioneers are still the only team to get one. The above statement about the 78 game was the worst officiating I had ever seen. As far as having good players come out of the 9th, I could go on for a while but i'll just mention one. Dave Cowens was a Newport Catholic grad I believe in 66 or so. He went on to become an NBA MVP and was named to the NBA top 50 of all time with guys like Jordan, Magic,etc,etc.

I am aware of all of that. I am just pointing out that SK fans need not look down their noses at the rest of the 8th region. :rolleyes:

Donta Smith played JUCO, was on his way to UL when the NBA came calling. Drafted late first or early second round by Atlanta Hawks. Now in NBA developmental league i believe.

Coach Drury has been at Anderson for awhile as Asst. and head coach( Mack The Knife can probably help us out on this one.) Anderson is not very big. Best player probably Dustin Aldridge 6'3 SR, C.J. Penny 6'3 FR is another player of note. They lost to Shelby by single digits in District final and had one point lead at half.

There is alot of luck involved in winning state title. In Shelby's case as you mentioned above. But Lady Luck smiled on SK in the 1981 33rd District Tournament .With SK facing elimination, Walton Verona had two point lead with seconds to go when a Walton player missed front end of one and one.

SK rebounded miss and Ponzer hits desperation shot to send game to OT. The rest is history. I guess that means the 8th region can add another state title to its list since SK now resides in 8th ;) .

  • Replies 50
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am aware of all of that. I am just pointing out that SK fans need not look down their noses at the rest of the 8th region. :rolleyes:

Donta Smith played JUCO, was on his way to UL when the NBA came calling. Drafted late first or early second round by Atlanta Hawks. Now in NBA developmental league i believe.

Coach Drury has been at Anderson for awhile as Asst. and head coach( Mack The Knife can probably help us out on this one.) Anderson is not very big. Best player probably Dustin Aldridge 6'3 SR, C.J. Penny 6'3 FR is another player of note. They lost to Shelby by single digits in District final and had one point lead at half.

There is alot of luck involved in winning state title. In Shelby's case as you mentioned above. But Lady Luck smiled on SK in the 1981 33rd District Tournament .With SK facing elimination, Walton Verona had two point lead with seconds to go when a Walton player missed front end of one and one.

SK rebounded miss and Ponzer hits desperation shot to send game to OT. The rest is history. I guess that means the 8th region can add another state title to its list since SK now resides in 8th ;) .

:thumb: Great post, I was there for that Walton game at Boone Co.. It's strange how history can be totally different with the blink of an eye.I think of that Walton team often and wish they would have have had an all A tourny back then. They would have had an excellent chance of winning it if they could have beaten Virgie. I just remember that Anderson kid from walton, he was a great player!

No I cant wait to see SK play and to be honest if comes down to SK and Shelby I will be pulling for SK. I just get tired of hearing this one guy complain about how week the 8th is and how great the 9th region is. I look forward to watching SK play, and hopefully GC will be playing them Friday nite.

I have complained about how weak the 32nd district is, but where can you quote me on saying the entire 8th region is weak???Shelby is well known around the state as the team to beat in the 8th!! I miss the annual games with Newport Catholic, Bishop Brossart, and Highlands. Sk moved to a very weak district which is seeded, meaning they had to play the other three teams twice. I don't know about you but I hate to sit and watch a 82-32 beating , even if it is my team on the winning side!! I wish they would have played Anderson. Shelby and a few other 8th region teams.

Shelby Co. should win the Region.

Shelby Co. should win the Region.

You never know that's why you play the game!

That is true. But it will take a heck of an effort on everybody else's part.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.