Cal's suggestions for the NCAA

Jumper_Dad

The insurance thing I totally agree with, and actually find if hard to believe it's not that way now. If I had a son playing football at XYZ University and he blew out his knee in a game, I would fully expect the school would/should take care of that cost. After all, he's there sacrificing for them, it's the least they can do.

Access to lawyers? Are kids really getting in that much trouble or find themselves in situations that often where this is a concern? I'm 48 years old and have yet to ever find the need for a lawyer. I would take a guess that outside of a divorce/death/will situation, a large percentage of people have not been in need of a lawyer. Sorry, I don't find it enough of a concern for it to be a point of contention.

$3-5,000 per athlete? Ok, do the alternates on the girls golf team get the same as the all-American power forward? Do the Cornell (last out of 351 Div IA schools) basketball team members get the same as the UK basketball team members? How about NCAA Div III kids? Do they all get the same payout as well, or not? And if not, is then their time and effort worth less than a Div I players? It's just not a simple answer of "pay the kids $5,000".

Agree with if coach leaves player should be able to transfer without penalty. Schools might also be less inclined to fire a coach simply based on their perception of win/loss underperformance if they could possibly lose some or maybe even several of their student/athletes.

Free trip home I have no problem with. Plane ticket though? I think a bus ride in some cases is more than suitable.

He's talking about a policy against catastrophic injury that would keep them from being able to play pro ball, not health insurance. Same policy that some kids currently get when they are expected to be a sure fire draft pick in NBA or NFL.

Lawyer access was to help them with decision making when they are deciding on going pro or staying, not to get them out of getting busted with a dime bag.

Bus Ticket? Really? Would you want your kid put on a bus for three days if he needed to get home? Plane tickets in most cases can be purchased for not a lot more than the bus ticket and in almost every case save DAYS of of the trip.

I agree asking does this apply to every athlete or just the revenue generating sports? I would think Div II and III would be left out of any pay for play deal from the NCAA...there are a LOT of schools that could not afford to pay any amount as their athletic departments are already losing money.

I think Cal's prediction from a few years ago that a "New NCAA" would come about has a better chance of happening than ever before. He said he thought a new organization would come about basically consisting of the "BCS Conferences" and that all of the rules would be rewritten and the crazy stuff that is currently a NCAA violation would be removed.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If athletes got $1000 dollars more a month this wouldn't be as huge of an issue. Increase the stipend, and let them take out loans on future earnings. That part just makes too much sense that I don't thin the NCAA will ever do that.

You keep saying NCAA is getting rich. Who? Is it indviduals, conferences, presidents, coaches. Doesnt the money made go back to conferences? If so and they had no limitation from the NCAA big schools would be out of control. There is a reason for the NCAA.

What do you mean who? The people that run the show.

A % goes back to the conferences.

No, there really is no good reason for the NCAA's existence.

He's talking about a policy against catastrophic injury that would keep them from being able to play pro ball, not health insurance. Same policy that some kids currently get when they are expected to be a sure fire draft pick in NBA or NFL.

Lawyer access was to help them with decision making when they are deciding on going pro or staying, not to get them out of getting busted with a dime bag.

Bus Ticket? Really? Would you want your kid put on a bus for three days if he needed to get home? Plane tickets in most cases can be purchased for not a lot more than the bus ticket and in almost every case save DAYS of of the trip.

I agree asking does this apply to every athlete or just the revenue generating sports? I would think Div II and III would be left out of any pay for play deal from the NCAA...there are a LOT of schools that could not afford to pay any amount as their athletic departments are already losing money.

I think Cal's prediction from a few years ago that a "New NCAA" would come about has a better chance of happening than ever before. He said he thought a new organization would come about basically consisting of the "BCS Conferences" and that all of the rules would be rewritten and the crazy stuff that is currently a NCAA violation would be removed.

1st bolded. So only those worthy of possibly moving on to pro ball get this benefit? Personally I say that's bunk. I stand by my first statement, I think schools should cover the costs of injuries to it's athletes unless an individual would rather they not.

2nd bolded. So right now a kid can't approach a lawyer for legal advise on that issue? If not, then yes they should be able to. If saying the school should pay for it, I say no.

3rd bolded. Bus ticket? Ummm, yes, why not? Was good enough for me in my early 20's, it's good enough for some of them, especially if it's going to be free.

You realize how insanely expensive lawyers are? You really think these college, who have no income source, can afford to pay that?

If the guys we are talking about are actually good enough to consider turning pro early, which are the athletes he is talking about here evidently, they are about to start making a lot of money. There are plenty of lawyers out there willing to talk and work with them on a contingency basis I'm quite sure and willing to take payment with future earnings the kid may make. If he doesn't make it, lawyer doesn't get paid. It's the chance he takes.

If the guys we are talking about are actually good enough to consider turning pro early, which are the athletes he is talking about here evidently, they are about to start making a lot of money. There are plenty of lawyers out there willing to talk and work with them on a contingency basis I'm quite sure and willing to take payment with future earnings the kid may make. If he doesn't make it, lawyer doesn't get paid. It's the chance he takes.

Is that even allowed? I know in quite a few professional industries, contingency payments are forbidden.

Is that even allowed? I know in quite a few professional industries, contingency payments are forbidden.

Now that I do not know. But then they aren't allowed to even talk with them now, so it appears several things might have to change to make this a viable option.

1st bolded. So only those worthy of possibly moving on to pro ball get this benefit? Personally I say that's bunk. I stand by my first statement, I think schools should cover the costs of injuries to it's athletes unless an individual would rather they not.

2nd bolded. So right now a kid can't approach a lawyer for legal advise on that issue? If not, then yes they should be able to. If saying the school should pay for it, I say no.

3rd bolded. Bus ticket? Ummm, yes, why not? Was good enough for me in my early 20's, it's good enough for some of them, especially if it's going to be free.

Schools do cover the cost of injuries...this is a policy against future lost earnings for not being able to play a sport. This has nothing to do with their health care, it's a policy against lost future earnings that he say's the NCAA should pay for.

Kid can't approach a lawyer for free advice...it would be considered an extra benefit by the NCAA.

Bus ticket, "um sorry you momma is dying we can get you there next Friday...ask her to hang on" BTW your all for the schools/NCAA picking up the tab for everything else but not a $300 plane ticket?

Violate NCAA rules, if contingency was allowed then kids would be getting cars on contingency, loans and who knows what else...then how many would actually be able to pay it back by actually getting a pro contract. Schools would kill each other providing "Contingency" benefits that out bid the other schools...over all bad idea

Violate NCAA rules, if contingency was allowed then kids would be getting cars on contingency, loans and who knows what else...then how many would actually be able to pay it back by actually getting a pro contract. Schools would kill each other providing "Contingency" benefits that out bid the other schools...over all bad idea

That wasn't the discussion. The point was allowing particular kids who have the option of going pro to talk to a lawyer for advise. cars, loans, whatever is a completely unrelated topic/concern.

The trip home also was a "general" benefit for the athletes to have. If an "emergency" situation arises I think each school should be able to handle hose on a case by case basis. And yes, a bus ticket can be perfectly acceptable in many situations. From FL to CA? No. From GA to VA? Probably so. KY to NC? Why not. The day an athlete feels he's too good to accept a free bus ticket to travel a few hundred miles home is maybe the time that guys needs to check his ego or move on to the pros and get his own private jet.

What do you mean who? The people that run the show.

A % goes back to the conferences.

No, there really is no good reason for the NCAA's existence.

People are not getting rich. There has to be people that work. You have to have a governing body. If not the NCAA then who

Edited by dawgs83

People are not getting rich. There has to be people that works. You have to have a governing body. If not the NCAA then who

Higher up in the NCAA aren't getting rich?

Emmert made $1.7 million, according to NCAA tax return

NCAA President Mark Emmert was credited with nearly $1.7 million in compensation during the 2011 calendar year, according to the association's new federal tax return.

Chief Operating Officer Jim Isch earned $977,531, according to the return. In the 2010 calendar year, Isch earned $760,480.

That's a very old list as well. I'm sure it's much higher now.

9ncaa-daily-chart.gif

That wasn't the discussion. The point was allowing particular kids who have the option of going pro to talk to a lawyer for advise. cars, loans, whatever is a completely unrelated topic/concern.

The trip home also was a "general" benefit for the athletes to have. If an "emergency" situation arises I think each school should be able to handle hose on a case by case basis. And yes, a bus ticket can be perfectly acceptable in many situations. From FL to CA? No. From GA to VA? Probably so. KY to NC? Why not. The day an athlete feels he's too good to accept a free bus ticket to travel a few hundred miles home is maybe the time that guys needs to check his ego or move on to the pros and get his own private jet.

I don't think any said that they were too good for a bus ticket. My thought was that a bus ticket and a plane ticket didn't have much difference in the cost.