April 3, 201412 yr You didn't answer my questions. The story is from the perspective of the "victim". He's wanting millions of dollars. Only a bafoon would expect to see him incriminate himself or give justification to the officers actions when he's giving his version of the story when not on the stand.
April 3, 201412 yr We don't know the whole story, all we know is what caused the problem to begin with. Just follow the rules, and there will be no problems. It's that simple. So if I'm walking across the street, and an officer approaches me and starts writing me a citation for jaywalking, if I complain about it, it's cool if he tazes me? I mean, if I would've just followed the rules...
April 3, 201412 yr The story is from the perspective of the "victim". He's wanting millions of dollars. Only a bafoon would expect to see him incriminate himself or give justification to the officers actions when he's giving his version of the story when not on the stand. Remove the whole incident from the question asked. Does carrying a beer into a pool area (where alcohol is restricted) warrant being beaten by cops?
April 3, 201412 yr Remove the whole incident from the question asked. Does carrying a beer into a pool area (where alcohol is restricted) warrant being beaten by cops? Apples and anchovies. It's the totality of the circumstances. Does shoplifting justify being tased? No. Does a shoplifter shoving a cop to get away from being apprehended warrant having force used? Possibly. With the facts that've been presented in the OP's article, no reasonable unbiased opinion can be made. Need the entire story before you can say what amount of force was needed.
April 3, 201412 yr The story is from the perspective of the "victim". He's wanting millions of dollars. Only a bafoon would expect to see him incriminate himself or give justification to the officers actions when he's giving his version of the story when not on the stand. Read the articles that are linked within the story. This case received a lot of media attention prior to Backe filing the civil suit. For what it's worth, my major issue isn't with how the situation with Backe was handled. It sounds like Backe was "late to the party" and it's difficult to determine one way or the other whether force was necessary at that point. My biggest issue is with the injury that the Bride's brother sustained: a head injury which warranted an aircare trip to the hospital. Police officers are responsible for protecting the public. I understand that they have a difficult and often-times thankless job, but this whole things wreaks to me.
April 3, 201412 yr We don't know the whole story, all we know is what caused the problem to begin with. Just follow the rules, and there will be no problems. It's that simple.That's a pretty simple statement. Here's another, Rosa Parks didn't follow the rules...
April 3, 201412 yr So if I'm walking across the street, and an officer approaches me and starts writing me a citation for jaywalking, if I complain about it, it's cool if he tazes me? I mean, if I would've just followed the rules... Show me where I said it was ok the police used excessive force.
April 3, 201412 yr Show me where I said it was ok the police used excessive force. You said you blamed the guy who took the beer into the pool...
April 3, 201412 yr Read the articles that are linked within the story. This case received a lot of media attention prior to Backe filing the civil suit. For what it's worth, my major issue isn't with how the situation with Backe was handled. It sounds like Backe was "late to the party" and it's difficult to determine one way or the other whether force was necessary at that point. My biggest issue is with the injury that the Bride's brother sustained: a head injury which warranted an aircare trip to the hospital. Police officers are responsible for protecting the public. I understand that they have a difficult and often-times thankless job, but this whole things wreaks to me. If all he did was take a beer into the pool area, then of course the force is excessive. I'm just inclined to want to hear the other side of the story. Not just the media or the victim unless they have video. I'm not going to persecute the officers just yet.
April 3, 201412 yr That's a pretty simple statement. Here's another, Rosa Parks didn't follow the rules... OK let me be more specific. If the guy had followed the rules about not having any open alcohol containers in the pool area. Is that better?
April 3, 201412 yr So if I'm walking across the street, and an officer approaches me and starts writing me a citation for jaywalking, if I complain about it, it's cool if he tazes me? I mean, if I would've just followed the rules... Depends on if you are wearing a Patriots jersey or not. If so, fair game.:up:
April 3, 201412 yr You said you blamed the guy who took the beer into the pool... I do blame him for starting the whole incident. Would the incident have taken place if he hadn't done that?
April 3, 201412 yr Can't take the story at face value. At what point did the resisting/fighting stop? Was it after the final strike or blow by the officer? What exactly were the injuries that resulted in being flown out? People have taken a gun shot would that is fatal but can continue to shoot it out or continue to fight. Just too many unknowns to form an opinion for me.
April 3, 201412 yr Can't take the story at face value. At what point did the resisting/fighting stop? Was it after the final strike or blow by the officer? What exactly were the injuries that resulted in being flown out? People have taken a gun shot would that is fatal but can continue to shoot it out or continue to fight. Just too many unknowns to form an opinion for me. Here's another article: Brandon Backe Files Suit Over Galveston Wedding Brawl A quote from the article: Many people were hurt during the incident. One member of the wedding party was taken by helicopter to the hospital with skull, face and torso injuries. Another quote from the article: At some point, an officer called for backup, and dozens of cops showed up at the resort. The lawsuit is full of accusations and descriptions of alleged police brutality. The lawsuit states that the officers abused wedding and hotel guests by beating, kicking and pepper-spraying them. Some of the plaintiffs claim they were Tasered, some say they were handcuffed and hit, and one man claims that an officer slammed his pregnant wife to the ground. When the man asked why, he says the cop punched him. As for Backe, he claims that he tried to calm some of the officers down. But when he did, he says, a policeman grabbed Backe, forced him to the ground and handcuffed the former big-leaguer, before proceeding to punch and kick him. Backe says he was dragged outside and put in a police car. If you're going to handcuff someone then continue to beat them, that's low.
April 3, 201412 yr I do blame him for starting the whole incident. Would the incident have taken place if he hadn't done that? Do you plan on answering my questions in post #12?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.