Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What are the absolute must a HS freshman must be doing to prepare for a college?

Featured Replies

Pre-ACTs are taken prior to start of Freshman year so that a player can prepare for the academic game. Training and a clear understanding of what a player will be measured on helps set the same expectation for next level baseball. Now they know what they need to do and can set the appropriate goals to get them there,. Needs to start in middle school IMO. The guy that says "they are only freshman" will be in for a huge surprise when his player shows up to his/or her first college baseball camp as a Junior.

Academics is the key to it all. It doesn't matter if you are D1 caliber player or not. If your grades are not up to par you may be wasting your time. We all know a majority of baseball only receives 25%. A scholarship at that % is good but you and your parents are on the hook for the rest. As been stated, their freshman year is the most important.

no axe to grind.and i'm not going to get into a big pissing match on here. nobody wins that!!! not going to make it personal [because geneticly,i can't compete...lol!!!] i was taking issue with the comment that was made about what the parents look like,AND it having something to do with how that kid will perform. really, there are exceptions to the rule,but when your looking at it that deep.....i think you should dial it down a notch. but,if that is the opinion...go for it!!! not stomping on a kids dreams,but i also believe in not b.s.' ing a kid who isn't going to have a shot to play any further than high school. welcome to the real world!!! as far as academics......number one before anything else. i don't know where you guy's got the ideal i didn't care about that. enough of the give and take. 12 days till we can start practicing. good luck to all.

p.s. NEVER said preparing for college was a DUMB ideal. don't know where you got that. later.

lol!!!!........you guy's,what the.......you got to be.......are you frigg'in kidding......never mind!!! i just can't believe you put THAT much thought into this subject. your talking about FRESHMEN!!! the whole look at what their parents look like thing.......wtf!!! but,if that's what you think works,good for you. lets not take this TO seriously gentlemen. it's high school!!!! i hope all the college scouts are checking out the HOT moms though. ...lol!!

later gators!!!

 

All I can say is wow!! You have absolutely no clue...:ohbrother:

rjs4470...totally agree with the bottom line statement. when you come right down to it,it's all about the academics. athletic scholarships for baseball are mostly partial rides. even at d1. make grades and play the game the right way will do more for you in the long run than anything else. ....well, besides having talent!!! ....lol!!!

Academics is the quickest ticket to college for the vast majority. That's a no brainer. You can have the genetics and no doubt it is a factor in athletics, but many things can cause that to derail. A serious injury that takes away the genetic advantage you have happens, sadly, all too frequently. Making poor decisions which you can never seem to over come and sometimes just make worse is another. Stupid lasts a long time in some of us. Most of us on here would have loved to played at the highest level in a sport we love, however, the better you are prepared to attain the highest level in the vocation you choose is most important. Academics is the constant through all of that.

 

Every kid, I mean, every kid, should have academics be their primary job. If you are good enough athletically and that is an opportunity to get there, great and I am happy for you. More kids get partial or full time academic schollys than athletic by a huge ratio. Go to any senior honors night at any high school and academic schollys outnumber athletics by a great margin.

 

All four of my kids played athletics and two of them well. Not one got a penny for athletic scholarships and shouldn't have, but one got a full academic scholarship to EKU, one a partial academic (about 60%) to Morehead, one a partial to WKU (about 25%) and the one a partial (about 25%) to Sullivan Culinary Institute. Still cost me money, but as you can see, not as much as it could have. Sullivan Culinary School costs 36K for 18 months, they have a high 90 placement rate, also. Athletics helped them in many ways, but so did studying, teacher support, family support, cultural experiences we provided or the school provided. I feel truly blessed and fortunate by this. A quality guidance and career counselor that knows the ropes in acquiring scholarships is probably the most valuable person in the high school to your pocketbook and providing opportunites for your child to succeed.

 

Well rounded students with good grades and involvement in all avenues of the school and community, research will support over and over, is the key to successful adult life.

Since we are on the academic kick, which I agree with 100% for those of you that have done it already at what age did your kids first take the ACT? I s there a magic # to look for? My son is getting looks at D1 level, and you are. spot on, mostly at the level of tuition at state schools in Ohio, i.e. they take care of tuition, I have everything else. It's early, so no academic money is known yet. I think that will be there from a GPA standpoint, but have heard conflicting numbers on the ACT side. Vary from school to school?

Since we are on the academic kick, which I agree with 100% for those of you that have done it already at what age did your kids first take the ACT? I s there a magic # to look for? My son is getting looks at D1 level, and you are. spot on, mostly at the level of tuition at state schools in Ohio, i.e. they take care of tuition, I have everything else. It's early, so no academic money is known yet. I think that will be there from a GPA standpoint, but have heard conflicting numbers on the ACT side. Vary from school to school?

 

I think it really depends on the school your son would like to attend and what their academic standards for scholarships. Different schools have different requirements. My kid took the ACT at the end of their sophomore year to get a gauge on what areas to improve in.

Grades are the most important factor. D1 schools seldom, if ever, give full rides for baseball scholarships. Get the grades and it opens doors to a lot more options. I have a feeling someone in this thread could be very disappointed in 4 years.

Grades are the most important factor. D1 schools seldom, if ever, give full rides for baseball scholarships. Get the grades and it opens doors to a lot more options. I have a feeling someone in this thread could be very disappointed in 4 years.

 

Please don't take this the wrong way, but was the last sentence truly necessary? Not sure anyone is disagreeing on the grades piece. The fact that D1 schools do not offer full rides in baseball has been discussed ad nauseum, I can assure you we all know that. But, still, why is it that every wants to throw the negative stuff in? I promise you that every D1 college athlete has had many people tell them to give up on it, it will never happen, too long are the odds. It's my job as a parent to ensure all contingencies are in place. He is getting a great education at a great high school, I have no doubt his test scores are going to be great. What I refuse to do is crush what has been one of his goals since he was 8 years old, and that he has sacrificed so much for. When many kids are out with their friends on Friday night, he is at the indoor facility banging baseballs, and that is by his own choice. When his friends are going to Kings Island and the pool in the summer, he is on the road with his summer team playing baseball. He gets it, and I could not be more proud of him. If he quit tomorrow, I would be good with it, it's been a great ride, and I promise you kid would not regret one second of all the hours he has put in, nor would I. Hours in a car, singing at the top of our lungs. All the friends we have made. Priceless. You don't get that from sitting in a library, and it is very possible to have excellent grades and play sports.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but was the last sentence truly necessary? Not sure anyone is disagreeing on the grades piece. The fact that D1 schools do not offer full rides in baseball has been discussed ad nauseum, I can assure you we all know that. But, still, why is it that every wants to throw the negative stuff in? I promise you that every D1 college athlete has had many people tell them to give up on it, it will never happen, too long are the odds. It's my job as a parent to ensure all contingencies are in place. He is getting a great education at a great high school, I have no doubt his test scores are going to be great. What I refuse to do is crush what has been one of his goals since he was 8 years old, and that he has sacrificed so much for. When many kids are out with their friends on Friday night, he is at the indoor facility banging baseballs, and that is by his own choice. When his friends are going to Kings Island and the pool in the summer, he is on the road with his summer team playing baseball. He gets it, and I could not be more proud of him. If he quit tomorrow, I would be good with it, it's been a great ride, and I promise you kid would not regret one second of all the hours he has put in, nor would I. Hours in a car, singing at the top of our lungs. All the friends we have made. Priceless. You don't get that from sitting in a library, and it is very possible to have excellent grades and play sports.

Did I strike a nerve? Not sure I was referencing any of your posts? Glad your son has enjoyed his decision to follow his dream and I hope it works out for him/you? Just trying to say don't forget the grades, they help you get money from schools and some schools will overlook you with poor grades. There are very few that make it to the next level. I know a lot of folks who had the "next coming" and told me their son would have their choice of D1 schools to attend only to find out little Johhny was just another very good HS player. Best Wishes!

As mentioned previously, students have the opportunity to take the ACT at the end of their sophomore year. Someone mentioned to me that it was the month of June after his/her sophomore year. I look at this as a practice ACT that will identify areas to work on in preparation for the real thing. Take it and take it often..!!!

As mentioned previously, students have the opportunity to take the ACT at the end of their sophomore year. Someone mentioned to me that it was the month of June after his/her sophomore year. I look at this as a practice ACT that will identify areas to work on in preparation for the real thing. Take it and take it often..!!!

 

Some students have taken it as early as 7th grade and have taken it many times after that. I believe the more times its taken, the better.

1.The Odds are Against You – There are about 138,000 athletic scholarships available for Division I and Division II sports. Take that number into consideration when we know that more than 1 million boys play high school football (competing for about 19,500 football scholarships) and that nearly 603,000 girls compete in track and field (competing for about 4,500 scholarships).

2.Most times the scholarship money isn’t as much is you may think - The average athletic scholarship is about $10,400 according to a 2008 New York Times article. Yes, that’s 5 years ago but you get the picture. Also remember that full rides in Division 1 are only given to football, men’s and women’s basketball, and women’s volleyball. At the Division 1 level the sports that receive full rides are called ”Head Count” sports. At the Division 2 level scholarships are blended with academic scholarships, endowments. and more. If you exclude football and men’s basketball, the average scholarship drops considerably.

3.Most scholarships are sliced and diced - The NCAA tells colleges how many athletic scholarships each sport can offer in Division I and Division II. To squeeze out the maximum benefit, coaches routinely split up these scholarships. A lot of times for smaller revenue producing sports like soccer, the 10 scholarships that may have to extend to recruits are split 15-20 ways to get more students on campus and more players in the program.

4.It takes effort to be discovered - College coaches probably won’t know a high school athlete exists unless they are a mega-superstar and that not many of us or our children. Teenagers need a strategy and a way to get in front college coaches to get a scholarship. College coaches need to know their their positions, sport statistics, and coach contacts, among other things.

5.Video, Social Media, and Consultants can help improve your chances - Athletes need to compile seven or eight minutes of their best stuff in an action video and distribute it on social media and online athletic profile services that college coaches use to get more information on athletes, like SportsWorx. A athletic scholarship consultant, like College Athlete Prep is very important to help you on your way also.

6.Scholarships aren’t always for 4 years - Athletic scholarships must be renewed each year and at the coach’s discretion. The main goal should always be to receive a degree.

7.Don’t Discount Division III - Division III schools give merit awards for academics and other accomplishments and in some cases is the best way for many athletes to win receive a scholarship. May merit grants from Division III schools cut the price of tuition by 50%.

 

 

Pulled this info from Collegethleteprep.com

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.