Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Collins 2013

Featured Replies

Let me first start off by saying that I have bitten my tongue for 4 years for Collins not getting the respect they were due on this site. Highlands is a great team and program with a lot of tradition, State Championships, and victories and deserves all the respect and accolades that a team of that caliber are due. However, last night's victory was NOT an upset as many of you have suggested, the BETTER team won! The framework for the 2013 Titans was started last year after the humbling 47-0 loss to Highlands in the 2012 Class 4A Championship. Collins was a junior/sophomore lead team and were awestruck from being on the big stage. Also, Highlands made plays and the Titans did not, the Bluebirds deserved to win, the Titans didn't. After the loss Coach Lucas and the coaching staff sat down to discuss what we needed to do to get to Highlands' level, obviously the first thing was to play more kids and 2-platoon if we could. Collins had 19 out of 22 starters coming back off of last years team and a ton of freshmen and sophomores that we knew could play for us on Friday nights and be successful. Secondly, we knew that we had to put many of our better athletes on the defensive side of the ball where we gave up a ton of points last year. However, with a squad of only 59, we also knew that we had to be able to play kids on both sides of the ball. Unlike Highlands and many of the more established programs, we don't have a 100+ kids to pick and choose from to decide who plays on offense and who plays on defense, so we had to have crossover players. We also don't have 12-15 coaches that many of the larger programs have where we can split the coaching staffs to only coach offense or defense. Collins has 9 coaches and many of them coach both offense and defense to the same kids so we don't loose anything when we have to put a #2 or #3 kid in the game. And being able to play the crossover athletes gives us the flexibility to play many more kids on a Friday night. By my count Collins played 32 kids last night, many on both sides of the ball that allowed them to stay fresh and not wear down like last year. Highlands I would imagine played around 45 kids, that is what they more or less averaged throughout the season, so the numbers were not near as skewed as last year. Finally, Coach Lucas and the staff knew we had to keep up with Highlands and not get down by 2 or 3 scores to beat them. Coach Lucas has told the kids since last year no matter if the score is 3-2 or 62-63, we would beat Highlands this year, the Titans just needed to make plays and play the next play with everything they had and they would win. Highlands made big plays last night, we knew they would. Some of their big plays were from outstanding efforts by their athletes, some were from missed assignments by the Titans. Regardless of what happened, we just couldn't give up. We knew the Titans would make big plays last night and we did, even our backup QB with the final dagger! But more than anything we knew that we had to get 4, 5 of more stops on the great Highlands offense in order to win the game, by my count we got at least 6 maybe more. With that many stops we knew the Titans would win and we did. Highlands had averaged 51+ points a game this season, they got 34; they had been giving up 20+ points a game, the Titans earned 37. Collins had been averaging 41+ a game, we got 37; we have been giving up 13+ a game, Highlands got 34. Collins won the game and the point differential! Finally for those of you who have dogged Collins for being a lesser team because of our losses to Simon Kenton and Central Hardin, let me say that they were both very good if not outstanding 6A teams that had a combined season winning record of 23-3. Both of the Titans losses were in the last seconds, 23-21 to Simon Kenton with 20+ seconds to go on a 20+ yard field goal and 36-32 to Central Hardin when Lawson Page's last second TD strike to Nathan Sames from 19 yards out was knocked down by a Central Hardin defender. Also in the Central Hardin game ones of Collins best athletes, Dre Farris went out with an injury early in the 1st quarter, never to return. Throughout the 4 year Collins history, we live by the Titan5: 1. Do the Right Thing, 2. Work Hard, 3. Overcome Adversity, 4. Find A Way, and 5. Finish Strong. The 2013 Titans did that Last night in Bowling Green against a VERY good Highlands Bluebirds team, and because of that they are the 2013 Class 4A State Champions!!! A victory, NOT and upset!

Once again, congrats to the Titans. Very exciting game to watch, and looking forward to this rivalry in the coming years.

So what should Highlands fans post in this thread? You called them out and I was wondering what you were getting at. As I have said several times previously, these teams were evenly matched and it all came down to the final play of the game that was going to be a big disappointment for one team or the other and this time it was for Highlands. Too many on here wanting to try and put Highlands down because they lost on the last play of the State Title game. If that pass is knocked down or dropped then what? Football is a game of inches and last night Collins was on the winning side of those plain and simple. Neither team dominated the other as many on here would like to think.

Actually Collins was the better team yesterday and not because of the last play. They were clearly the better team throught the entire game and to say otherwise and to suggest they were both even is discredit to Collins.

 

HHS a very good team, but Collins was better long before the 4th qtr yesterday.

Actually Collins was the better team yesterday and not because of the last play. They were clearly the better team throught the entire game and to say otherwise and to suggest they were both even is discredit to Collins.

 

HHS a very good team, but Collins was better long before the 4th qtr yesterday.

 

Are you saying Collins played bad because it shouldn't have been that close or did HHS play above their level. Because if they were clearly that much better, I'm surprised the score was so close and came down to the last play. So which is it, Collins didn't play well or HHS played above their head? What a reduculous statement! I'm just glad the birds kept it so close then.

 

And if HHS knocks down that last pass, would you have considered it an upset I guess?

 

Again, questioning you, not the fact they kicked our tails. They looked pretty even to me. Those kids seemed to play harder at the end to make the plays. It was an awesome game.

 

That's as dumb as saying Cooper would have helped HHS prepare. Again, a running clock doesn't help either team.

Actually Collins was the better team yesterday and not because of the last play. They were clearly the better team throught the entire game and to say otherwise and to suggest they were both even is discredit to Collins.

 

HHS a very good team, but Collins was better long before the 4th qtr yesterday.

 

...and I thought you said it was all coaching. And before that it was the passing. You say you don't come on here to bash, but you change your story to bash whatever thread you're in.

 

For the record, I don't have anyone that plays football. I have girls and their Bball season started weeks ago. Other than congratulating Collins, my only beef is with the ones coming on here to intent illy bash HHS. I've moved on from the game and I'm an HHS fan. Why can't you move on?? Because you love controversy and love to bash. You act like I'm the only one on here that you get into it with. There are several that I've seen you go to battle with(must be your personality) and them prove you wrong. You just divert and move to the next topic instead of admitting. "Yeah, he got me there. Where else can I start trouble?"

Are you saying Collins played bad because it shouldn't have been that close or did HHS play above their level. Because if they were clearly that much better, I'm surprised the score was so close and came down to the last play. So which is it, Collins didn't play well or HHS played above their head?

 

And if HHS knocks down that last pass, would you have considered it an upset I guess?

 

Again, questioning you, not the fact they kicked our tails. They looked pretty even to me. Those kids seemed to play harder at the end to make the plays. It was an awesome game.

 

That's as dumb as saying Cooper would have helped HHS prepare. Again, a running clock doesn't help either team.

OMG give it up already RCC!!!!! YEs Collins outplayed HHS the entire game, what don't you understannd about that? Your comment about Cooper at the end of your post is your own stupid postts you told me last year so do me a favor and give it up already, using your own stupid logic yes Cooper would of helped you al prepare better because we were a passing team this year so once again your arrogance about HHS can help every team prepare for the playoffs buyt no team canhelp HHs so ignorant and arrogant it makes me want to puke.

 

I really wish you could be more llike Sweeperboy or stinkboy because they show class, something youu need to take lessons from. now do me a favor and move on, don't you have softball playoffs to try and get into....oh i forgot all softball teams make the playoffs.

OMG give it up already RCC!!!!! YEs Collins outplayed HHS the entire game, what don't you understannd about that? Your comment about Cooper at the end of your post is your own stupid postts you told me last year so do me a favor and give it up already, using your own stupid logic yes Cooper would of helped you al prepare better because we were a passing team this year so once again your arrogance about HHS can help every team prepare for the playoffs buyt no team canhelp HHs so ignorant and arrogant it makes me want to puke.

 

I really wish you could be more llike Sweeperboy or stinkboy because they show class, something youu need to take lessons from. now do me a favor and move on, don't you have softball playoffs to try and get into....oh i forgot all softball teams make the playoffs.

 

Yes. We are practicing. And yes we'll make the playoffs. Jealous? I'm not sweep or stinky. But guess what, they have said the same thing many times. Again with your facts! And I told you I'd say it if I were a Dayton Greendevils fan. I also told you I'd say it to every 5 and 6 a school. And I've also told you it doesn't have to be HHS. So it has nothing to do with being an "arrogant HHS fan". It has to do with challenging all of Nky to play thought so to get better. You think I'm the only one that thinks that? You think only HHS fans think that? You're more naive than I thought. You have a beef with me because after your loss last year on a board talking about how Nky teams can get over the hump, I mentioned that that's teams need to start taking advantage of playing the good competition that they have available right in their backyard to prepare them better for the state runs. You got your feelings hurt thinking I was calling Cooper out when I was generalizing about the entire area. That's what all this is about. You reading something and taking it personal rather than understanding what the message was. Just because we were discussing what needs to happen in Nky on a cooper thread doesn't mean I was bashing cooper. I rooted my tail off for them last year. I thought it was a great story. Go back and re-read those posts. Look at it as a general statement and not a cooper attack. I think it will help you bury the hatchet with me.

And again RCC you show you have no clue about Cooper. Please show me last year how they didn't challenge themselves with a tough schedule to prepare for the post season.

 

If you had a clue what you were talking about I would actually give you some credit, but the fact you again show you don't know what you're talking about makes me laugh at you again. Your still coming across arrogant with the scheduling crap. So RCC why didn't highlands schedule Cooper? Did they achedule any state final team last year during this season? So don't give me that crap. The fact is Cooper had a great out of district schedule last year which prepared them to make the run they did. If you had a clue you would have known that instead of continuing to stick your foot in your mouth.

Oh and RCC you did call cooper out last year. You didn't say NKY teams needed to play Highlands, you said "if Cooper would of ayes Highlands they would of been able to beat BG"

 

That isn't talking about NKY teams, it was talking about Cooper specifically.

Oh and RCC you did call cooper out last year. You didn't say NKY teams needed to play Highlands, you said "if Cooper would of ayes Highlands they would of been able to beat BG"

 

That isn't talking about NKY teams, it was talking about Cooper specifically.

 

you better go look that up.

you better go look that up.
i don't need to. I remember it like it was yesterday. Also the fact that yesterday you even confirmed it by saying you told me that also after our loss last year.
  • Author

My thread was to draw attention to the fact that outside the loyal Collins faithful very few people considered the Titans to be a 4A State Champion contender. I have the upmost respect to Highlands, Coach Mueller and his staff, and the entire Bluebird community, what they have done over the course of their history and their 22 State Championship seasons has been amazing. I apologize if I have offended any of the HHS faithful. Go Titans, Go Bluebirds!!!

And we were right! Just like I said last year, your team would have been more prepared. Not sure why you keep referring to last year all the time though. All your posts have "when we came in second LAST YEAR" in them. It's over! Move on! I know I won't be saying that about this HHS team next year. "Remember when we came in second last year?" Ha Ha

That is what you said yesterday to confirm the remark you made last year. Do you want me to also show you your 2nd post in that thread where you once again came across with arrogance to teams that don't have a state title like Cooper also?

My thread was to draw attention to the fact that outside the loyal Collins faithful very few people considered the Titans to be a 4A State Champion contender. I have the upmost respect to Highlands, Coach Mueller and his staff, and the entire Bluebird community, what they have done over the course of their history and their 22 State Championship seasons has been amazing. I apologize if I have offended any of the HHS faithful. Go Titans, Go Bluebirds!!!

Quite honestly, I have not paid a lot of attention to HS football last few years. Follow on here a little, and score on Friday night news. Didn't even know where Collins hailed from. I did catch the last quarter on the internet. Classic game. Huge moment for the backup QB as well as the whole Collins squad. Congrats on a great season. As a passive Highlands fan I embrace that there is great competition in Highlands class. Hasn't always been the case. Again congratulations!!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.