Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dunbar over Trinity in Penalty Kicks

Featured Replies

So baseball must not take any time at all then, because they don't even have a clock. This must be the whole relativity theory of time that I don't understand.

  • Replies 30
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you arguing baseball has constant play time? Really?

Are you arguing baseball has constant play time? Really?

 

Oh, so soccer can only be compared to games with "constant play time". Which is what? Hockey? Or is it constant play time on a grass or turf field with 11 players per side with a ball and only one can use their hands. Then you're right, PKs are the only way possible to end the game. I can see why free throws was a ridiculous comparison. It didn't meet any of these requirements. Well except the ball.

I would think it will be fairly significant. The liability of something happening would be outrageous. I would think the fine would have to be high to help discourage.

If there is a fine - wouldn't that just reduce the cost that the KHSAA pays Dunbar to rent the facility. It is in the KHSAA's best interest to make the fine stiff, which all seems to point out one of the issue with using a HS facility as the venue. :D

 

As far as soccer PK's go, whether you like PK's as a way of deciding games or not, it is the established international way of deciding matches. I think I would lean towards being consistent with how the game is decided globally.

 

Uniform infractions seem to not be a big deal in any sport except in track and cross country - oh do I know how big of a deal they are in track and cross country. :D

Will Lampley fire the new soccer coach at Trinity for NOT winning the State Championship? Just asking. I know it is a very harsh question, but such behavior has happened in the past . . .

Will Lampley fire the new soccer coach at Trinity for NOT winning the State Championship? Just asking. I know it is a very harsh question, but such behavior has happened in the past . . .

 

With all of the respect you are due, you don't know your rump from a hot rock. Coach Lampley is a highly respected hall of fame athletic director that makes decisions on the basis of what is best for the young men playing sports at Trinity. If you want to look into how coaching decisions are made, stay closer to home.

As distasteful as I find PK's in ending a soccer match, it is the universally accepted way of ending games worldwide. I think any proposal to do it in some other fashion is silly. I could see a little longer OT or something of that nature but when all of that is over with, PK's should decide a winner/loser.

As distasteful as I find PK's in ending a soccer match, it is the universally accepted way of ending games worldwide. I think any proposal to do it in some other fashion is silly. I could see a little longer OT or something of that nature but when all of that is over with, PK's should decide a winner/loser.

 

I agree it's the universally accepted way, and it's not changing just because I don't like it, but deciding in some other fashion is not "silly." In fact, you partially addressed it in your comment. They could certainly have a longer OTs. Or keep playing OT till someone scores. Much as in basketball. I was at the NCAA record OT game. Seven OTs. Painful? Yes! But, still a better, yes less silly way, than a free throw shooting contest. Running clock or not, that is a perfect comparison to PKs.

  • Author

Here's an idea from me, "a football parent"........

 

Both teams get to pick one coach from the other team on the sidelines and have to run a full field "special K", "stop and go", whatever your call them.........

 

Winner takes it all........

I agree it's the universally accepted way, and it's not changing just because I don't like it, but deciding in some other fashion is not "silly." In fact, you partially addressed it in your comment. They could certainly have a longer OTs. Or keep playing OT till someone scores. Much as in basketball. I was at the NCAA record OT game. Seven OTs. Painful? Yes! But, still a better, yes less silly way, than a free throw shooting contest. Running clock or not, that is a perfect comparison to PKs.

 

Longer or more OT's is fine with me.......within reason. But if someone can't score then it should go to PK's like the rest of the entire WORLD does it. It's not a great way to end but it beats playing on endlessly. And I don't buy the comparison to a free throw shooting contest either. Anyone who thinks that probably has never participated in a PK shootout. I don't recall anyone ever shooting a free throw in bball while having someone in front of the net waiting to swat away any shot not perfectly placed.

Longer or more OT's is fine with me.......within reason. But if someone can't score then it should go to PK's like the rest of the entire WORLD does it. It's not a great way to end but it beats playing on endlessly. And I don't buy the comparison to a free throw shooting contest either. Anyone who thinks that probably has never participated in a PK shootout. I don't recall anyone ever shooting a free throw in bball while having someone in front of the net waiting to swat away any shot not perfectly placed.

 

OK, so you have a goalie. But, you're not kicking a soccer ball through a hole 18 inches wide, and 10 feet in the air. It's a different game. I thought you soccer guys new that. Running clock et. al.

 

I would venture to guess that the rate of success is comparable (unless you're cov cath) to free throw percentage. So again, is it EXACTLY the same? No. Never said it was exactly the same, but the comparison stands up pretty well. That is, unless one is incapable of drawing any parallels unless something matches perfectly.

And, you have probably never stood on the free throw line with the game on the line, if you think the stress and pressure are not similar.

We should just have field goal kicking contests. Its all the same right?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.