Question for all

Step one-Hire a coach

Step two- fire everyone else and start over from scratch

Step three- put a little more than 100 dollars into athletics.

It starts at the top. If the administration doesn't decide to support football then it is nearly impossible to move forward. Sure some teams with suspect support come through with a great group of athletes once every ten years and overcome those obstacles but this is not how you "build" a program.

For starters, they should:

1. Hire a coach who is young, enthusiastic, and hard working.

2. Set a realistic football budget.

3. Create a plan for facilities improvement.

4. Work on the feeder program.

5. Give the coach most of the say in hiring certified assistants and "paraprofessionals". (They do after all have to be good teachers as well)

6. Let the new coach be the facilitator of the program from top to bottom.

The grade school is a great feeder program. Could you imagine the team they would have went to the high school from Betsy Layne.

For Example: honaker brothers Pikeville

both Tyler Hamilton Prestonsburg and Pike Central

Justin Slone to South Floyd

Darrick Williams to South Floyd

Jonathan Blair to Prestonsburg

How do you keep the boy's from going up or down the road from Betsy Layne?

I guess that is the question.

It starts at the top. If the administration doesn't decide to support football then it is nearly impossible to move forward. Sure some teams with suspect support come through with a great group of athletes once every ten years and overcome those obstacles but this is not how you "build" a program.

For starters, they should:

1. Hire a coach who is young, enthusiastic, and hard working.

2. Set a realistic football budget.

3. Create a plan for facilities improvement.

4. Work on the feeder program.

5. Give the coach most of the say in hiring certified assistants and "paraprofessionals". (They do after all have to be good teachers as well)

6. Let the new coach be the facilitator of the program from top to bottom.

Finally we have someone who really understands how sports programs succeed and fail! I am so sick of listening to all this git us another coach junk! People who say that have no clue!

Finally we have someone who really understands how sports programs succeed and fail! I am so sick of listening to all this git us another coach junk! People who say that have no clue!

If those 6 things aren't done/provided for...it won't work.

Occasionally a particular school will have a strong group of athletes that'll fool fans into thinking a program's coming around. But that's nothing but fool's gold.

Get your feeder schools and little league programs involved as well and make sure they are running the same offense and defense as the high school team. That way the kids know the coaches basic system before they even get to high school. Also, the community must get involved (not just parents but alumni, faculty, and general supporters of the school). If you have a booster club make sure the president is energetic and creative. Ive heard alot over the years people say that when our football team needs something that we just get the doctors,lawyers,and mine operators to shell out the money but thats not true cause nobody works harder than our booster club.

Several of you have mentioned the fact that all levels of the program need to be on the same page...I couldn't agree with you more...I have seen first hand what can happen to a program if there is a gap somewhere in between...Good Luck completing the list that coacher mentioned, because I know that will help, and I also know that the kids from Betsy Lane WANT to win and will work hard...I hope things get ironed out and success finds you soon! :thumb: