August 15, 201313 yr Cop Records Police Chief Pushing Ticket Quotas, Boasting About Always Finding a Reason to Stop Someone - Hit & Run : Reason.com [Timothy] Brasuell, whose been with the BHPD since 2008, says in an effort to issue more tickets, [the police chief Don] McKinnon encouraged crooked cop behavior. The voice goes on to say in the recording [sic], "If i seen a vehicle, I could always find some reason to stop them even if I made them do something stupid." The voice, Brasuell says is McKinnon, goes on to describe his traffic stop method: "I wanna stop that car load of dumb edited in the car, I wanna stop it, but they are not going to do anything wrong. Hell, I'll get behind or the other lane and I'd start crowding them. Kinda dirty pool but i got two or three arrests out of it." The Police Officer who blew the whistle has been fired. In the video, he details how there were repercussions for not meeting your quota and rewards such as gift cards for coming in first or second place. Police Officer Accuses Chief of Encouraging Shady Traffic Stop Tactics - NWAhomepage.com Kudos for this cop doing the right thing. We need more like him. A lot more.
August 15, 201313 yr I know our LE folks say this doesn't exist. But to many studies show spikes of tickets issued in certain departments during different periods of a month. We are a results society and there are only so many ways to quantify police work.
August 15, 201313 yr Cop Records Police Chief Pushing Ticket Quotas, Boasting About Always Finding a Reason to Stop Someone - Hit & Run : Reason.com [Timothy] Brasuell, whose been with the BHPD since 2008, says in an effort to issue more tickets, [the police chief Don] McKinnon encouraged crooked cop behavior. The voice goes on to say in the recording [sic], "If i seen a vehicle, I could always find some reason to stop them even if I made them do something stupid." The voice, Brasuell says is McKinnon, goes on to describe his traffic stop method: "I wanna stop that car load of dumb edited in the car, I wanna stop it, but they are not going to do anything wrong. Hell, I'll get behind or the other lane and I'd start crowding them. Kinda dirty pool but i got two or three arrests out of it." The Police Officer who blew the whistle has been fired. In the video, he details how there were repercussions for not meeting your quota and rewards such as gift cards for coming in first or second place. Police Officer Accuses Chief of Encouraging Shady Traffic Stop Tactics - NWAhomepage.com Kudos for this cop doing the right thing. We need more like him. A lot more. The Chief should be fired for this one. Quotas are for dinosaurs in the business and have no place today.
August 16, 201313 yr I know our LE folks say this doesn't exist. But to many studies show spikes of tickets issued in certain departments during different periods of a month. We are a results society and there are only so many ways to quantify police work. Actually I don't think any of us LE folks will say things like that don't happen. I say kudos to the cop for turning his chief in and wish there were more of them out there willing to make these things public.
August 16, 201313 yr Police departments are to blame but a lot of the "quota" like behavior is linked to the State and Federal government pushing whatever program is in vogue and offering up money to aggressively enforce certain offenses.
August 16, 201313 yr Police departments are to blame but a lot of the "quota" like behavior is linked to the State and Federal government pushing whatever program is in vogue and offering up money to aggressively enforce certain offenses. Were you ever required to write a certain amount of tickets?
August 16, 201313 yr Stuff like quotas unfortunately is a by-product of current management strategies being taught across several industries. Everyone wants to see measurable results and when ever you have a number then the next year you have a number you have to beat. Whether it's traffic tickets, health code violations, sales results, customer contacts, return on investment or any other number that can be measured, today's young executives are being taught that it's the measurables that matter not the end result. Big picture isn't the focus anymore everyone is majoring in minors. It's not just a policing issue, it's like this in major corporations as well.
August 16, 201313 yr Were you ever required to write a certain amount of tickets? Not really but there was pressure on a lot of guys during any of the state/Fed programs to get out and do a lot of enforcement. It was never called a quota or given and exact number but it was a strong, strong push.
August 16, 201313 yr I know when applying for some of those State/Federal Targeted grants they want to know how much "Activity" is/was generated from those grants targeted enforcement focus.
August 16, 201313 yr Author The quotas are something that irk me but the police chief going over tactics on how to pull innocent people -- and bragging about the arrests after stopping them -- is beyond disgusting. I'm sure they end up getting the youth with those strategies. IMO, it doesn't stop here. I was pulled over in VA and I had something small hanging from my rear view mirror. Apparently it's illegal. There is no reason for that. Just another excuse to pull people over. The cop was cool about it however.
August 16, 201313 yr Author Guru or anybody that can answer: do you know how much money the city, town, or county gets from speeding/traffic tickets, DUI, etc that those violations were taken place in?
August 16, 201313 yr Guru or anybody that can answer: do you know how much money the city, town, or county gets from speeding/traffic tickets, DUI, etc that those violations were taken place in?I'm not 100% but I know that it is a very small percentage of the total of fines and court cost.
August 17, 201313 yr The quotas are something that irk me but the police chief going over tactics on how to pull innocent people -- and bragging about the arrests after stopping them -- is beyond disgusting. I'm sure they end up getting the youth with those strategies. IMO, it doesn't stop here. I was pulled over in VA and I had something small hanging from my rear view mirror. Apparently it's illegal. There is no reason for that. Just another excuse to pull people over. The cop was cool about it however. If it's illegal the police officer did nothing wrong. You should be upset about the law, not the person enforcing it.
August 17, 201313 yr Author If it's illegal the police officer did nothing wrong. You should be upset about the law, not the person enforcing it. That wasn't t why I was pulled over. I was speeding. He just pointed it out to me. And I'm way more upset that the law was put in place. But it doesn't say too much about the cop pulling me over because of fuzzy dice hanging from my rear view mirror*. *I really don't have fuzzy dice hanging from my rear view mirror.
August 17, 201313 yr That wasn't t why I was pulled over. I was speeding. He just pointed it out to me. And I'm way more upset that the law was put in place. But it doesn't say too much about the cop pulling me over because of fuzzy dice hanging from my rear view mirror*. *I really don't have fuzzy dice hanging from my rear view mirror. 1. I thought you were pulled over for speeding? 2. Did you get a citation for what ever was hanging from your mirror? 3. Do you think it is a bad law? You think it is bad that there is a law that states that you should have an unobstructed view through your windshield?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.