Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Game clock rule

Featured Replies

I have seen this discussed in the past on here but I kinda wanted to drag it back up to see what the official ruling on it is. Very rarely during regular season do you see a game clock in a high school football game, but you do see one at the state championships and it is followed to a T. My question is why do the refs in regular season games not follow this to a T, most of the time its all over the place. I have been told its to allow for "the flow of the game", which doesn't seem fair if a team is coming in with the intention of slowing a game down. What are your thoughts??

I feel like I must be missing something from your post.

 

I see game clocks utilized all the time during regular season games. Some older facilities aren't equipped with actual 25 second clocks but the refs keep it manually. Delay of game penalties are common, at least as common as in the past IMO.

 

I can't imagine any official dismissing the rules in favor of "the flow of the game" and I would imagine any official who publicly stated that would be disciplined harshly.

The school may not have a clock on the field but the officials keep it. I know one of our coaches on the sideline is responsible to keep an eye on the time and yell out to the QB when they are under 5 seconds. I saw delay of game called several times last year in our area.

Very rarely during regular season do you see a game clock in a high school football game

 

I've never been to a game that didn't have a "game clock." Were you meaning a "play clock?" If you meant play clock, yes it's followed at the state championship games. During the regular season, it's kept on the field by the officials. It's difficult to say if it's strictly followed on the field or if the officials allow an extra second or two, however, there are plenty of delay of game penalties.

Officials who keep the play clock on the field are wildly inconsistent. They "keep the time" by counting, without the aid of a stop watch. I regularly see teams that are given 5 - 10 extra seconds before each play.

Officials who keep the play clock on the field are wildly inconsistent. They "keep the time" by counting, without the aid of a stop watch. I regularly see teams that are given 5 - 10 extra seconds before each play.

 

Backjudge by rule has to have a stopwatch to keep delay of game time.

  • Author
Officials who keep the play clock on the field are wildly inconsistent. They "keep the time" by counting, without the aid of a stop watch. I regularly see teams that are given 5 - 10 extra seconds before each play.

 

Yes, this is what I am talking about, "wildly inconsistent" and yes I was talking about the 25 second play clock, sorry about that. I have seen officials allow up to 40 secs in a play. I rarely ever see a play clock at any stadium, so it leaves a lot of leg room to that official. I have seen a few penalties for delay of game for sure, but there could have been tons more. I am just saying if your team is more of a quick scoring team and you can score fast and are used to doing so, then a team rolls in that has the game plan to slow it down, which happens all the time, and they start to notice that the refs are allowing 30-35 secs per play, that is a huge advantage to that team. It pretty much takes away plays from the other team.

  • Author
Backjudge by rule has to have a stopwatch to keep delay of game time.

 

Yep, a lot of backjudges have a buzzer that goes off after the time, but I have seen them just put their hand over it.

Most of the games that I've been to over the last several years did in fact have a play clock mounted in both end zones.

 

Only issue I ever saw was one crew refused to use them, caused several penalties due to QB's looking at play clock. Several times delay of game was called with seconds left on the play clock. Not sure why refs did this.

Most of the games that I've been to over the last several years did in fact have a play clock mounted in both end zones.

 

Only issue I ever saw was one crew refused to use them, caused several penalties due to QB's looking at play clock. Several times delay of game was called with seconds left on the play clock. Not sure why refs did this.

 

My main issue is the differences between officials' choice when blowing the ball ready for play.

My main issue is the differences between officials' choice when blowing the ball ready for play.

I agree,

I've seen "Homer" officials take "FOR EVER" to blow the ball ready, giving offense extra 5-15 seconds to get play off. Saw a game one night where Home team playing with the lead was taking between 40-60 seconds off of the clock on each play. Ran 6 or 7 plays and took nearly 6 minutes off of the clock.

 

Things like this often tilt a game more than throwing flags and a lot less people notice poor clock management by the officials. I have see some horrific clocks in middle school football.

I agree,

I've seen "Homer" officials take "FOR EVER" to blow the ball ready, giving offense extra 5-15 seconds to get play off. Saw a game one night where Home team playing with the lead was taking between 40-60 seconds off of the clock on each play. Ran 6 or 7 plays and took nearly 6 minutes off of the clock.

 

Things like this often tilt a game more than throwing flags and a lot less people notice poor clock management by the officials. I have see some horrific clocks in middle school football.

 

That is on the officials crew and shouldnt happen period. an extra 5 seconds maybe more than that no.

 

At middle school and lower levels (in games that are with big margins, or when teams are trying to sub in the B team kids) I can see a little more leeway. (not 60 seconds worth though)

Do officials at games where there isn't a physically present game clock become lenient? Sure probably do. It's a problem but unless the state of Kentucky can pay for all schools to get some I don't see it changing.

That is on the officials crew and shouldnt happen period. an extra 5 seconds maybe more than that no.

 

At middle school and lower levels (in games that are with big margins, or when teams are trying to sub in the B team kids) I can see a little more leeway. (not 60 seconds worth though)

Yeah you would hope in middle school it would only happen then, but I've seen it happen in conf championship game several years ago, protecting a lead for the home team.
Yes, this is what I am talking about, "wildly inconsistent" and yes I was talking about the 25 second play clock, sorry about that. I have seen officials allow up to 40 secs in a play. I rarely ever see a play clock at any stadium, so it leaves a lot of leg room to that official. I have seen a few penalties for delay of game for sure, but there could have been tons more.

 

Are you timing the refs? Are you waiting till the ball is set to start timing?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.