Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Too much caffeine in food has FDA worried, considering regulations

Featured Replies

3:00 am and can't sleep so I agree with all of you on this topic! :lol2:

Doesn't it come down on the parents responsibility to monitor what their kids are eating/drinking? Weren't we all, or at least most, killing Bloomberg for his large soda ban? What's the difference?

 

Yes. As a parent who had to figure what the big can with the M on it was when it first came out or what Red-Bull was all about we started to manage these better. And I am not calling for any regulation or ban at all.

 

But someone - the FDA or someone - should do studies to get a lot more information on the long term effects of kids taking what I would call 'artificially infused' drinks that have considerably higher content of certain stimulants or 'performance' enhancing substances in them.

 

I think the Bloomberg soda ban is one of the worst oversteps in government authority ever!

I try to avoid all caffeine. As long the packaging says the product has caffeine in it, I don't feel any further regulation is necessary.

Doesn't it come down on the parents responsibility to monitor what their kids are eating/drinking? Weren't we all, or at least most, killing Bloomberg for his large soda ban? What's the difference?

 

I think the issue is, and I believe Bluegrass was alluding to this as well, is that it becomes much harder to regulate/oversee what your kids (or even myself) are taking if more and more things have caffeine added to them, which I agree with. Personally, I know...or at least I think I do for the most part, what has caffeine in it, and I can intake or avoid those things as needed. If I have to check and make sure my Friday night stay at home movie microwave popcorn doesn't have caffeine in it, then its starting to get more than annoying.

Doesn't it come down on the parents responsibility to monitor what their kids are eating/drinking? Weren't we all, or at least most, killing Bloomberg for his large soda ban? What's the difference?

 

I try to avoid all caffeine. As long the packaging says the product has caffeine in it, I don't feel any further regulation is necessary.

These!

 

Pretty sure caffieine amount is listed on all packaging.

 

As an adult if I want to consume it, then I will consume it.

 

As a parent if I don't want my kids to consume it, they won't consume it.

 

Don't need a nanny state.

I think the issue is, and I believe Bluegrass was alluding to this as well, is that it becomes much harder to regulate/oversee what your kids (or even myself) are taking if more and more things have caffeine added to them, which I agree with. Personally, I know...or at least I think I do for the most part, what has caffeine in it, and I can intake or avoid those things as needed. If I have to check and make sure my Friday night stay at home movie microwave popcorn doesn't have caffeine in it, then its starting to get more than annoying.

 

Just because something is more than annoying, is no reason to have a government agency regulate it.

Just because something is more than annoying, is no reason to have a government agency regulate it.

 

I didn't say I agree with new government regulation necessarily, too much as it is...but when things start getting out of control or getting crazy it definitely starts to bring things under more scrutiny which can lead to talk of regulation or new law.

I didn't say I agree with new government regulation necessarily, too much as it is...but when things start getting out of control or getting crazy it definitely starts to bring things under more scrutiny which can lead to talk of regulation or new law.

 

What does that mean? You're a politician, aren't you? :D

Hopefully we can agree that artificially infused mass marketed high-caffeine drinks are at least somewhat more appropriate for the government to study instead of why lesbians have a tendency to be overweight.

Hopefully we can agree that artificially infused mass marketed high-caffeine drinks are at least somewhat more appropriate for the government to study instead of why lesbians have a tendency to be overweight.

 

Yes, more appropriate to study, but they're not talking about studies, they are talking regulations based on what they have found to this point. The FDA believes that children might be harmed, indicating inconclusive findings. Labelling of contents is already required. At that point it is up to the parent of the child, to determine what goes into their child's body, not the FDA, or any government agency, by placing regulations on it.

 

It takes an average of 12 years to get a drug through the FDA and approved that could save the life of someone or make somebody's life easier, today. The FDA doesn't allow people to risk their own lives by signing off on drugs under evaluation to save their own lives, either. Yet, how many drugs have they approved that have been recalled, because they approved a bad drug? Life is a craps-shoot and there is nothing that can prevent it from being a craps-shoot, I don't care how much government attempts to regulate it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.