Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why do basketball injuries draw so much more attention than football injuries?

Featured Replies

  • Author
You would think with the amount of attention this is getting that Ware would be dying or something. While incredibly gruesome and devastating, at the end of the day, dude broke his leg. Just my opinion, but it seems the amount of attention is a bit overkill.

 

I have never seen anything like it. Makes me feel bad because I am not still grieving over his injury. It has been wall-to-wall interviews, promotional campaigns, Today Show, GMA, calls from the First Lady, Joe Theisman, etc. I am not sure what I am missing about this situation? I guess had he done it in the layup line nobody would care?

I have never seen anything like it. Makes me feel bad because I am not still grieving over his injury. It has been wall-to-wall interviews, promotional campaigns, Today Show, GMA, calls from the First Lady, Joe Theismann, etc. I am not sure what I am missing about this situation?

 

Agreed. I have been dying to say something about all of this attention to the young, paralyzed Kevin Ware and even stayed out of the Duke/UL postgame thread because I didn't want to appear like a bitter and sore loser(which I was/am but still...) because I quit grieving over him as soon as the ball was put back in play after he was removed from the court.

 

 

:poop: happens.

I'm pretty sure that in football crazy So Carolina the Lattimore injury got a lot more publicity than it did here.

 

Had Nerlens or Ware played at San Jose St or Slippery Rock no one in Kentucky would have paid much attention to it. Outside of discussions of Kentucky Basketball Nerlen's injury was dropped soon after he was hurt by everyone out side of Kentucky. Ware's injury is getting so much press due to the stage that it happened on and the gruesomeness of the injury.

 

RGIII injury has been dissected and reviewed from every angle and every decision that his doctor has made since kindergarten has been put under a microscope. We now get breaking news reports when he is able to accomplish something new in his rehab.

 

How about Adrian Petersen's injury, it was all over the news for months.

 

Focus on injuries come down to two things, Stature/Celebrity of the player and the stage on which they get injured. If the Ware injury happened during the SEC Championship game or the Superbowl it would blow up all over the press. If this injury happened to Peyton Manning during 7 on 7 drills in his back yard it would get the same coverage.

 

IMO this is not a football versus basketball issue.

  • Author
I'm pretty sure that in football crazy So Carolina the Lattimore injury got a lot more publicity than it did here.

 

Had Nerlens or Ware played at San Jose St or Slippery Rock no one in Kentucky would have paid much attention to it. Outside of discussions of Kentucky Basketball Nerlen's injury was dropped soon after he was hurt by everyone out side of Kentucky. Ware's injury is getting so much press due to the stage that it happened on and the gruesomeness of the injury.

 

RGIII injury has been dissected and reviewed from every angle and every decision that his doctor has made since kindergarten has been put under a microscope. We now get breaking news reports when he is able to accomplish something new in his rehab.

 

How about Adrian Petersen's injury, it was all over the news for months.

 

Focus on injuries come down to two things, Stature/Celebrity of the player and the stage on which they get injured. If the Ware injury happened during the SEC Championship game or the Superbowl it would blow up all over the press. If this injury happened to Peyton Manning during 7 on 7 drills in his back yard it would get the same coverage.

 

IMO this is not a football versus basketball issue.

 

None of those injuries have come close to comparing to the national attention this is getting. Maybe within the sport's world or within fan bases sure, but none on the national stage where it is one of the lead stories on national new's telecasts.

Good question. I'd say they are equal yet different. With Theisman we saw the leg break but it was covered up by pants and even with today's technology I'm not sure what we would have been able to see other than his leg bending and breaking like we know it shouldn't. With Ware it took a second before we realized what happened. I thought Tyler Thornton had something in his eye. No clue what happened to Ware until I saw the replay and then I realized he broke his leg immediately after seeing it. It wasn't until the next day that we got to see the bone sticking out of his leg and then it was easier to see why the players and coaches acted why they did. Leg uncovered and gruesomeness for days. Seeing both I'd go with Ware is worse than Theisman but not by much and only because his was more visible.

 

Same here. I thought he had something in his eye. Also, at first, Thornton actually covered up Ware on the screen, but I saw the guys on Louisville's bench act in a way like a big play had just happened, then about that time is when Kellogg and Nantz chimed in.

  • Author
Same here. I thought he had something in his eye. Also, at first, Thornton actually covered up Ware on the screen, but I saw the guys on Louisville's bench act in a way like a big play had just happened, then about that time is when Kellogg and Nantz chimed in.

I seriously wonder if I would have thrown up had I been as close as his teammates or Pitino. I have a pretty good stomach for those type things but this one may have sent me over the edge.

None of those injuries have come close to comparing to the national attention this is getting. Maybe within the sport's world or within fan bases sure, but none on the national stage where it is one of the lead stories on national new's telecasts.

That was my point, it happened on a national stage in front of millions of live TV viewers. Had this happened on a Monday night at Pitt it would not get this kind of attention...it has nothing to do with being football or basketball, only with the stage that it happened on or the stature of the player...not Basketball vs Football.

This.

 

But, I'd also argue that football injuries get more than their fare share of the spotlight. Take concussions for example. You aren't going to find anybody out there who is a more of fan for the 'concussion awareness' and what not, however, I wish the media would focus on the overwhelming majority out there who have played/playing who haven't had any type of head injury, too.

 

To me, this is a car crash vs. plane crash type deal. Thousands of car crashes happen everyday, and very few are talked about. When a plane crashes, not only is it on the news, but it's on the news for what seems like a month. If the media talked about the thousands of planes that land safely everyday, like they do the small percentage that crash, you wouldn't have near as many people who are afraid to fly.

 

Planes doing what they are supposed to do is not news. Things that aren't supposed to happen — plane crashes, for example — are newsworthy.

You would think with the amount of attention this is getting that Ware would be dying or something. While incredibly gruesome and devastating, at the end of the day, dude broke his leg. Just my opinion, but it seems the amount of attention is a bit overkill.

 

I don't think it's overkill given the magnitude of the game, the audience watching it, the gruesome video & photo, the team's emotional reaction to the injury, the team's response on the court, and the fact that Louisville is the #1 overall team...

  • Author
Planes doing what they are supposed to do is not news. Things that aren't supposed to happen — plane crashes, for example — are newsworthy.

 

And ultimately I guess that is what it comes down to.

I am personally shocked at the news stations not showing the injury of Ware. During the game they did not reshow it and I was watching a clip today and the fuzzed it out during the replay ! Really? It was not even a close up. Censorship has gone overboard like the person who whined about the pic thread that had the warning. Give a heads up to what's about to happen. Cover you eyes. I've seen the thiesman break 100 times. Probably never see the Ware injury again.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.