March 25, 201313 yr The head of the NCAA officials said that because his heel was not down that technically he was not in proper guarding position so the call should have been a block. He said this on CBS after the game. I thinbk that was a bad call but if Iowa had not missed I think 3 straight front ends i nthe last 4 minutes it pobably wouldn't have mattered anyway. I always feel you got to try to takecare of business and not put yourself in a position where a call by a human being decides a game. Becuase humans are going to make mistakes. Again, he's saying it "may not" have been correct because of the hovering heel issue. What official or human can watch in REAL TIME a)did the defender get to his spot legally b)did he get there before the feet came off the ground (rule says must be there before "airborne) c)did #1 foul him from the side AND d)was his foot while not touching the arc OVER the arc? Come on. Too much.
March 25, 201313 yr He's a solid player, but my God, Craft gets every call imaginable. He was moving, his feet weren't set, and he turned right before contact. Wasn't even close to a charge. If that's any other player but Craft, that's called a block. On top of that atrocious call, the rebound that went out of bounds with 30 seconds left, was CLEARLY off of Thomas, yet they gave the ball back to the Buckeyes. It's time for college to implement the rule the NBA has where they can go to the monitor to make sure they get the out of bounds calls right.
March 25, 201313 yr He's a solid player, but my God, Craft gets every call imaginable. He was moving, his feet weren't set, and he turned right before contact. Wasn't even close to a charge. If that's any other player but Craft, that's called a block. When you say "moving", it depends. Not all movement by the defender negates a charge. Feet were on the ground. That meets the requirement by rule. No rule that says you can't turn before contact. It's allowed.
March 25, 201313 yr When you say "moving", it depends. Not all movement by the defender negates a charge. Feet were on the ground. That meets the requirement by rule. No rule that says you can't turn before contact. It's allowed. Feet have to be set. If one of the feet is moving and isn't set, it's not a charge. His body was moving left to right, i.e. he was still sliding under him.
March 25, 201313 yr Feet have to be set. If one of the feet is moving and isn't set, it's not a charge. His body was moving left to right, i.e. he was still sliding under him. Feet do not have to be "still" when the contact is made. Myth. Body moving to the side would result in a block call in this particular case. Go the video at 0:13 and tell me where you see his body moving to the side. I do not.
March 25, 201313 yr Feet do not have to be "still" when the contact is made. Myth. Body moving to the side would result in a block call in this particular case. Go the video at 0:13 and tell me where you see his body moving to the side. I do not. I can't look at a video at work. I watched it numerous times last night, his upper body is moving left to right as contact is made. Either way, the more inexcusable call is giving Ohio State another possession when it was clearly Cyclones ball.
March 25, 201313 yr Feet do not have to be "still" when the contact is made. Myth. Body moving to the side would result in a block call in this particular case. Go the video at 0:13 and tell me where you see his body moving to the side. I do not. He leaned his upper body to his right, just before the contact is made. It is pretty clear if you watch closely, about the time that Thomas makes contact with the Iowa St. player.
March 25, 201313 yr He leaned his upper body to his right, just before the contact is made. It is pretty clear if you watch closely, about the time that Thomas makes contact with the Iowa St. player. I don't see him move to the right. I DO see his right shoulder turn inward a bit but that doesn't negate a charge call.
March 25, 201313 yr The Buckeyes were very lucky to pull this one out; I didn't care for the call at the end either. Craft and the rest of the team were rattled at best; I guess Craft became Craft in the final seconds.
March 25, 201313 yr As a Buckeye fan, I'm happy with the win. Do I wish they could've done it in a more convincing fashion? Sure. Do I think they were handed the game by the officials? No. If you want to go back and dissect each and every call made on the court in a game, it'd take you hours to do, and even still you wouldn't be able to be sure of the ultimate impact on the outcome of the game. A handcheck here, a push in the back there...where does it end? And what about all the no-calls, where there should've been a whistle and there wasn't? That was a bang-bang play that Buckeye fans would've called a charge, and that Iowa State fans (Buckeye haters) would've called a block. Even in slow motion I don't think it is blatently obvious. Now consider the fact that the official saw it ONCE, in real time, while trying to watch a half dozen other (or more) aspects of the game at the same time. Bottom line is this, in my book...the one play that cost Iowa State the game (or at least a chance to play for the win in OT) was Craft hitting the 3 at the end. That's the ONLY play they didn't have a chance to "recover" from. And the officials were not involved in that. So, to say they cost them the game is ludicrous.
March 25, 201313 yr Has anyone seen a close up or slow motion of the rebound that was lost by two Iowa State players thus giving the ball to Ohio State for the last possession? I was far away from the screen, and it may have been fine, but I am suspicious because an Ohio State player was crashing hard behind the two. That was a critical also call right or wrong.
March 25, 201313 yr Has anyone seen a close up or slow motion of the rebound that was lost by two Iowa State players thus giving the ball to Ohio State for the last possession? I was far away from the screen, and it may have been fine, but I am suspicious because an Ohio State player was crashing hard behind the two. That was a critical also call right or wrong. I watched so many games I can't remember this one. The only late OOB call I recall was in the Miami game.
March 26, 201313 yr Yep, it was off the Iowa St player and a good call. In regards to the charge call, that referee is watching that in real time and has a matter of seconds to make that call. If the official only glanced to see if he was out of the arc he probably saw his left foot which was clearly out of the arc. I agree with other posters that the arc this makes things harder on the officials. They can only see so much. I thought the loose ball foul on Shannon Scott at mid court was a terrible call that gave Iowa St two points from the free throw line.
March 26, 201313 yr ^What game were you watching?? The rebound was CLEARLY off the Ohio State player's hand.
March 27, 201313 yr Not the best pic but the OSU players hand is clearly behind the Iowa St players hand and the Iowa st players hand follows though to the baseline.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.