Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Division IA high school recruits

Featured Replies

Does anyone know the percentage of D1-A scholarship players that came from private/independent high schools as opposed to public schools? Out of 120 teams they are allowed 85 roster scholars per year i believe.

When did people start referring to independent schools as "Non-public"? This has happened several times this year. Independent schools ARE public.

When did people start referring to independent schools as "Non-public"? This has happened several times this year. Independent schools ARE public.

 

Absolutely agree Ram.

When did people start referring to independent schools as "Non-public"? This has happened several times this year. Independent schools ARE public.

 

No kidding! This drives me crazy!

  • Author
When did people start referring to independent schools as "Non-public"? This has happened several times this year. Independent schools ARE public.

 

Independent schools allow you to attend a school that is out of the restricted boundaries that some high schools have to abide by and independent schools have tuition fees...I think ...Please correct me if I'm wrong. If i'm correct, that's very similar to private schools. I live in the Boone County school district and I was approached about my son possibly attending BW, and was told I would not have to move.

Independent schools allow you to attend a school that is out of the restricted boundaries that some high schools have to abide by and independent schools have tuition fees...I think ...Please correct me if I'm wrong. If i'm correct, that's very similar to private schools. I live in the Boone County school district and I was approached about my son possibly attending BW, and was told I would not have to move.

 

Okay okay. We'll give you the benefit of the doubt because you live in Boone. The answer is that most all public schools have open enrollment (can accept other students). County or independent. Some districts make rules that restrict them from accepting kids outside their district. Boone is one of those districts that restricts itself. Almost every other school in nky can be attended by anyone willing to pay tuition, unless they are locked down by over crowding.

  • Author
Okay okay. We'll give you the benefit of the doubt because you live in Boone. The answer is that most all public schools have open enrollment (can accept other students). County or independent. Some districts make rules that restrict them from accepting kids outside their district. Boone is one of those districts that restricts itself. Almost every other school in nky can be attended by anyone willing to pay tuition, unless they are locked down by over crowding.

 

Thanks, that makes since. Boone is still stuck in the dark ages. So actually the Boone district should be considered private! :confused:

Thanks, that makes since. Boone is still stuck in the dark ages. So actually the Boone district should be considered private! :confused:

Exactely, and that is why earlier in the year I said the same thing and compared Indeependent and private schools as close to the same and public schools different. I was corrected but they still are similar in many ways and that is because I am going by boone Co's public school rules etc. They are in the dark ages and I also was comparing to Beechwood and Highlands, I went to BW and know how they do ask kids to go there and you don't have to move to do so. They allow so many slots a year for out of district kids etc. and you do have to take a test etc. to be accepted. But it is still different from the way our school district does it.

 

That is why I listed private and independent as the same even though they aren't entirely but when compared to Boone Co. they are miles apart in how they handle this.

 

During the years we were involved with BCPWFL there would always be conversations with other parents who were debating wether to send their kid to Beechwood or Cov Cath etc. even though they lived in Boone Co. The schools wold "invite" many kids, usually the very good athletes to think about going to BW or CCH for HS. I do know that we personally had to think hard about it, especially being a BW grad. The main reason we stayed put is our son had all hhis friends going to Boone schools. I do know at least a half dozen or so friends of my son and former teammates in the BCPWFL who did go to either BW or CCH.

I also know one of his teammates this year on his HS football team that at the time was also talking about going to one of those schools, I'm very glad he didn't because he was one of our best linemen this year and always been a great football player. He had a great HS career and I know if his dad reads this he will now who I am talking about. He was such a great player that the team wouldn't of had the success they had this year without him. So I am very glad he chose to stay in BC for his high school career.

Its hard to find a consolidated list.

 

The current Rivals 250 class of 2013 has 3 Kentucky players on it - 2 from Trinity and 1 from Apollo.

 

Yahoo Sports: Rivals.com Ranking - Rivals.com Rivals250 2013

 

Going back in time using the link above.

 

2012 - No Kentucky players in 250

2011 - Lamar Dawson (Boyle Co.)

2010 - No Kentucky players

2009 - Justin Green (Male)

 

Players on the 2013 250 are #114 James Quick (Trinity), #171 Hunter Bivin (Apollo), #215 Jason Hatcher (Trinity)

 

So at this level - 3 public, 2 private over 4 years.

I don't think it matters if the kid goes to public or private school. What matters is getting their name out there at combines etc. If he is good enough it is the combines and camps that he gets exposed to, not the games during high school season. They will go to schools during the season ONCE they are discovered at camps, not the other way around.

Thanks, that makes since. Boone is still stuck in the dark ages. So actually the Boone district should be considered private! :confused:

In my area, all schools have open enrollment, six county schools and four independent and there is no tuition for any school. The ADA money follows the students to the school they attend.

  • Author
I don't think it matters if the kid goes to public or private school. What matters is getting their name out there at combines etc. If he is good enough it is the combines and camps that he gets exposed to, not the games during high school season. They will go to schools during the season ONCE they are discovered at camps, not the other way around.

 

My question was in reference to state title winning teams actually. Does an athlete have an advantage when playing for a school such as Trinity/Highlands/NCC or St. X over the Ryle, Cooper Conner type teams?

My question was in reference to state title winning teams actually. Does an athlete have an advantage when playing for a school such as Trinity/Highlands/NCC or St. X over the Ryle, Cooper Conner type teams?

 

What is most important to you or your son? Being on a championship team, player development, playing time or continuing the relationships he has in youth sports in high school? The answer is different depending upon your priorities.

 

I am in agreement with Hellbird that from a college recruitment perspective, choice of school is irrelevent as the most significant recruiting activity takes place at camps and combines.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.