Highlands 26 Lexington Catholic 16 (Frosh)

Guest Birdflu
Final 26-16 Baby birds. They sure don't look like freshmen! Big boys out there tonight.

Do you have any details? What exactly do you mean?

Jared Daugherty is a man! The size of these two teams was impressive. I only saw the second half. I didn't see HHS throw one pass. I did have a curious 3 year old with me who was trying to throw his ball on the field while I lost my mind. Hergott is going to be good. Reminds me of the first time I saw Towles. He is big, a little awkward, and still growing into his body. Bradford is for real on defense. He hit a guy so hard that my 3 year old even yelled oooooohhhhh! I hear he runs the ball too but didn't see it. Lex Cath had a pretty good couple of running backs. Run defense for birds got pushed around a little but it appeared that they were rotating some guys in there. Lots of penalties kept Lex Cath in it. I am not going to say any call was bad or questionable. They called what they saw. I really like how physical both teams played. It looked more like a JV game. Coach Jones will be getting some good kids next year.

Game was at 6 to my knowledge but I got there a little after 7. One additional note, Jac Collinsworth announced the game and it was creepy how much he sounded like Chris at times. He seemed awful comfortable in that booth up there. He even interacted with fans/parents when the parent of the holder made a comment about him not saying their kids name on the extra point, I don't know how he heard it because I barely did. Then he made an extra announcement just for them. It made their night. Very classy young Mr. Collinsworth!

Final was Highlands 27 Lex Cath 16.

I was glad to see HHS run dive right the entire second half on first and ten. They made first down after first down. Lex Cath had real trouble when HHS ran right at them and the birds did it all second half. Doughtery broke some nice runs with good blocking up front. Old fashioned football.

Final was Highlands 27 Lex Cath 16.

I was glad to see HHS run dive right the entire second half on first and ten. They made first down after first down. Lex Cath had real trouble when HHS ran right at them and the birds did it all second half. Doughtery broke some nice runs with good blocking up front. Old fashioned football.

That 40 yard TD he busted right up the middle and when he saw that hole as big as a Buick he took it to the house. He even got caught from behind and high-stepped it shaking off the defender into the end zone. That is a very special kid.

Here is the frosh roster for you

1 Brad Broering

2 Nick Kendall

4 Conner Kreeger

5 Jared Dougherty

7 Austin Hergott

9 Jordan Johnson

12 Ryan Conley

74 Tyler Robinson though I believe he is 71

19 Mitchell Cain

30 Conner Welsch

33 Will Backscheider

34 Eric Miller

36 Luke Lindeman

37 Brandon Bradford

39 Austin Horner

43 Hank Johnson, Jr.

44 Cody Stamper

45 Ben Ziegler

48 Trent Casebolt

49 Thomas Wood

50 Griffin McManus

51 Caleb Mullikin

53 Carson Haas

56 Jack Jager

58 Tanner Groneck

60 Nathan Raleigh

62 Dalton Mallery

63 Zach Beal

66 Hunter Henschen

67 Daniel Shearer

74 Bo Hebel

75 Brandon Lichtenberg

77 Evan Richardson

80 Ben Towles

83 Mark Richter

85 T.J. Sipple

87 Stephen Dauer

89 Austin Beal

93 Austin Mayhew

94 Joseph Dressman

97 Chandler New

Now on to the game. The baby Birds were impressive tonight especially in the 2nd half. Offensive line (Hebel, Robinson, Richardson, Jager and Haas) was opening some big holes and backs were able to exploit them. Thought Hergott handled himself much better this week at quarterback and did a nice job even though they did not have to throw much. Nice punt return by Mitchell Cain that set up the game clinching score as he returned it to the LexCath 10. Defense was really good most of the night and Brandon Bradford is a player in the middle. Others that impressed on defense were Conner Welsch, Ben Ziegler, Joe Dressman, Bo Hebel, Austin Beal and Conner Kreeger.

Team looked much better tonight as compared to last Saturday. Thought they played pretty well with Trinity but just seemed to be missing something last week.