Zeke Pike vs Patrick Towles

sportsfan41

Figured we could rekindle this one and see how it goes throughout the season. A lot of folks felt that Towles was capable of being just as good if not better than Pike. It's not even the start of the season and already Pike might not be a QB ever again. What are every ones thoughts? Try to keep it some what clean I'd like to see how this thread might progress throughout the season.

So what exactly are we comparing.

PT most likely starts the year as a backup (hopefully redshirts) and Pike isn't playing.

At this point I suppose we could go back to college potential and what we expect out of both players moving forward. The topic was rather entertaining for a solid year and a half and I realized it could still be interesting right now.

I know it's hypothetical but it would have been interesting to switch them on their respective high school teams. How much success would PT have had at Dixie? How successful would ZP have been at HHS?

Would HHS have won a title with ZP at the helm? How far would of PT taken Dixie? Point being.........I think football is the consummate team sport and QB's get to much blame when a team struggles and to much credit when they succeed.

I know it's hypothetical but it would have been interesting to switch them on their respective high school teams. How much success would PT have had at Dixie? How successful would ZP have been at HHS?

Would HHS have won a title with ZP at the helm? How far would of PT taken Dixie? Point being.........I think football is the consummate team sport and QB's get to much blame when a team struggles and to much credit when they succeed.

Fair questions and 100% agree on your point.

Overall , I thought PT was better to play the position of QB. He would not have had the individual success he had if he had been at Dixie.

Overall , I thought PT was better to play the position of QB. He would not have had the individual success he had if he had been at Dixie.

I would have to say I agree with both of you in that regard. Everything I saw out of PT though made it seem like he really understood how to read a play when it was happening or breaking down. Perhaps that was just great coaching which is why Pike was rated as a higher prospect but that is what really made me like PT as a solid college QB prospect.

Agreed. As good as PT was Highlands was so much more than PT. PT was a lot of fun to watch.

I would have to say I agree with both of you in that regard. Everything I saw out of PT though made it seem like he really understood how to read a play when it was happening or breaking down. Perhaps that was just great coaching which is why Pike was rated as a higher prospect but that is what really made me like PT as a solid college QB prospect.

Joker said that PT came in able to read defenses and run complicated offenses better than the majority of recruits. Coaching makes a difference.

Joker said that PT came in able to read defenses and run complicated offenses better than the majority of recruits. Coaching makes a difference.

I would certainly have to agree with that, coaching and maturity. Towles seemed to really understand the game, team, his role etc. I really think it will be interesting to see if PT get's a shot this season.

I would certainly have to agree with that, coaching and maturity. Towles seemed to really understand the game, team, his role etc. I really think it will be interesting to see if PT get's a shot this season.

UK QB coach said Smith is the leader. I expect him to be the opening day starter.

It would not shock me to see PT to get some reps but I think at the beginning the season Newton will be the official #2 if he's healthy.

UK QB coach said Smith is the leader. I expect him to be the opening day starter.

It would not shock me to see PT to get some reps but I think at the beginning the season Newton will be the official #2 if he's healthy.

Would only make sense, but I think it will be interesting to watch. If any thing I would say(sadly) it would give us a reason to watch.

PT should ask for a redshirt. It would benefit his career greatly.

I somewhat agree, but I think(could be way offbase) that he just wants to go through the motions and see what happens. If an injury occurred then I could see it, but otherwise I think he will go with the 4 year plan and go from there.

I somewhat agree, but I think(could be way offbase) that he just wants to go through the motions and see what happens. If an injury occurred then I could see it, but otherwise I think he will go with the 4 year plan and go from there.

I like it because he could earn his degree in 3 yrs. and have a double major or have started on a Masters degree. Big advantage from an educational standpoint.