July 4, 201214 yr Author BTW show me one place in the rules of baseball where it says ball and strike calls are up to each individual umpire to determine, based on their physical attributes or any other allowance for them to change the strike zone.
July 4, 201214 yr ^ then let's call it rounders, get rid of fielders gloves, allow courtesy runners again, bring back the 44 oz bats, get rid of the DH, only allow 1 team from each league in the playoffs. After all that's how they used to do it....lol Another question I have is how accurate are the adjustments to the batter? Rafael Furcal is 5'8" and Richie Sexson was 6'8".
July 4, 201214 yr Author ESPN K zone adjust to each batter, so I'm sure if MLB put this in place they could ask ESPN how they do it...:lol:
July 4, 201214 yr ESPN K zone adjust to each batter, so I'm sure if MLB put this in place they could ask ESPN how they do it...:lol: So it would favor the Yankees and Red Sox?
July 4, 201214 yr The million dollar question would be, how accurate are the computers based on each type of pitch, to each individual batter?
July 4, 201214 yr Is the pitch tracker going to determine if the ball was tipped by the batter? Will the pitch tracker determine if there is catcher interference on a swing?
July 4, 201214 yr Is the pitch tracker going to determine if the ball was tipped by the batter? Will the pitch tracker determine if there is catcher interference on a swing? The only logical way to do it would be to keep and umpire back there for those things and calls at the plate. Also, to appeal on check swings and call balks. Still don't want to see it but that would make sense.
July 4, 201214 yr Author The million dollar question would be, how accurate are the computers based on each type of pitch, to each individual batter?The Cyclops system used in tennis is deemed to be something like 99% accurate, I'm sure baseball technology would be as good. But even at 90% accuracy it would be a marked improvement over humans trying to watch the plate, the ball, the batters knees and some point between his belt and his armpits all while trying not to blink. Is the pitch tracker going to determine if the ball was tipped by the batter? Will the pitch tracker determine if there is catcher interference on a swing? The only logical way to do it would be to keep and umpire back there for those things and calls at the plate. Also, to appeal on check swings and call balks. Still don't want to see it but that would make sense. Yep, you would still need te ump behind the plate, just take the hardest call in sports and make it more consistant. As the chart I posted earlier showed, Umpires routinely missed the call on 20% or more of called strikes.
July 4, 201214 yr The Cyclops system used in tennis is deemed to be something like 99% accurate, I'm sure baseball technology would be as good. But even at 90% accuracy it would be a marked improvement over humans trying to watch the plate, the ball, the batters knees and some point between his belt and his armpits all while trying not to blink. Yep, you would still need te ump behind the plate, just take the hardest call in sports and make it more consistant. As the chart I posted earlier showed, Umpires routinely missed the call on 20% or more of called strikes. In/Out in tennis seems like it would be a TON easier than balls/strikes.
July 4, 201214 yr Author In/Out in tennis seems like it would be a TON easier than balls/strikes. Agreed, ball is moving faster in tennis and curving a lot of the time, but the lines are clearly painted on the court. But the tech in Cyclops, K-Zone and that is used to evaluate Umpires by MLB works on similar technology, that is the only reason I used it as a comparison. BTW I know this is a moot arguement on my part as this is nowhere close to even being seriously discussed by MLB. But I get ticked off when a pitch is off the plate 6 inches and is called a strike, or a ball 3 inches in on the plate is called a ball.
July 4, 201214 yr Agreed, ball is moving faster in tennis and curving a lot of the time, but the lines are clearly painted on the court. But the tech in Cyclops, K-Zone and that is used to evaluate Umpires by MLB works on similar technology, that is the only reason I used it as a comparison. BTW I know this is a moot arguement on my part as this is nowhere close to even being seriously discussed by MLB. But I get ****ed off when a pitch is off the plate 6 inches and is called a strike, or a ball 3 inches in on the plate is called a ball. Trust me, I'm with you on the second paragraph. I still think the invisible fence collar is the best option.
July 4, 201214 yr Agreed, ball is moving faster in tennis and curving a lot of the time, but the lines are clearly painted on the court. But the tech in Cyclops, K-Zone and that is used to evaluate Umpires by MLB works on similar technology, that is the only reason I used it as a comparison. BTW I know this is a moot arguement on my part as this is nowhere close to even being seriously discussed by MLB. But I get ticked off when a pitch is off the plate 6 inches and is called a strike, or a ball 3 inches in on the plate is called a ball. Why doesn't tennis use their system for every call if it's so accurate?
July 4, 201214 yr Author Why doesn't tennis use their system for every call if it's so accurate?Seems like they do in some tournaments, you can hear a little whistle sound when the ball is hit out close to a line.
July 5, 201214 yr Seems like they do in some tournaments, you can hear a little whistle sound when the ball is hit out close to a line. They still use judges for Wimbledon. I dont know about anything else. I don't watch much tennis. Either way, using camera for that is much different because the lines don't move. The strike zone changes for every batter.
July 5, 201214 yr Author They still use judges for Wimbledon. I dont know about anything else. I don't watch much tennis. Either way, using camera for that is much different because the lines don't move. The strike zone changes for every batter. The system is there to back up the judges in tennis, or that is my understanding. I'm not suggesting getting rid of Umps, just fixing the most missed call in baseball. MLB already uses this system to grade out their umpires, so it must be working or the umpires union would go nuts!
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.