June 12, 201214 yr Vladimir Guerrero appears to have decided to give up his comeback, Mike Wilner of Sportsnet 590 the FAN reports (on Twitter). The Blue Jays signed the 37-year-old to a minor league contract worth $1.3MM in the Major Leagues last month. Soon after joining the Blue Jays' organization, Guerrero hit four homers in four games at Class A Dunedin. He was then promoted to Triple-A Las Vegas, where he collected six hits, including two doubles, and no walks in 30 plate appearances. Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos has maintained that Guerrero won't necessarily make the club's active roster. Guerrero has 2,590 hits, 449 homers and a .318/.379/.553 line in 16 big league seasons. In 590 plate appearances with the Orioles last year, the nine-time All-Star posted a .290/.317/.416 line with 13 homers. He drew interest from the Diamondbacks, Indians and Marlins earlier this year. One of my all time favorite players growing up...I loved his stance and his cannon for an arm...Also loved all the Pine Tar on his Bat and Helmet and the fact that he didn't wear batting gloves... HOF worthy??? I think so, what about everyone else...
June 12, 201214 yr So he just gave up when he made it to AAA? He had a very good career but I don't think it's HOF worthy. Jon Heyman @JonHeymanCBS sounds like theres more to vladdy story. but he's doing well in minors, so it would be surprising if he gave up now. #jays Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal Vlad went 4-for-5 with a triple last night at AAA. He is batting .303/.314/.424 in 33 plate appearances with Las Vegas. Edited June 12, 201214 yr by HammerTime
June 12, 201214 yr Author So he just gave up when he made it to AAA? He had a very good career but I don't think it's HOF worthy. Jon Heyman @JonHeymanCBS sounds like theres more to vladdy story. but he's doing well in minors, so it would be surprising if he gave up now. #jays Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal Vlad went 4-for-5 with a triple last night at AAA. He is batting .303/.314/.424 in 33 plate appearances with Las Vegas. I agree its kind of bizarre...To me Vlad still has something left in the tank and he has been proving it during his comeback attempt in the Minors, the problem is he signed with a team in the Jays where it sounds like the GM isn't really sure that they have a need for Vlads services... His Defense in LF is pretty bad, he still has a decent arm though and apparently is still swinging the stick well...I wonder if he is able to continue playing with another team that actually has a ML opening...
June 12, 201214 yr Author Okay so I found this and the initial reports aren't true which makes more sense and also makes me happy, I hope he latches on with another team and I'm pretty confident he will...I'm glad that he can opt out of his contract with the Jays, Reds anyone The Reds have had their share of below average fielders in LF in the past...Could be a cheap attempt at an improvement without giving up prospects... USA Today Vladimir Guerrero is not retiring -- and not happy Vladimir Guerrero is retiring. Or not. Or he just wants to be promoted to the majors. The former AL MVP signed on with the Toronto Blue Jays last month and has been playing himself into shape in the minors, hitting .313 with four home runs in 11 games at Class A and AAA. First Blue Jays broadcaster Mike Wilner tweeted that Guerrero, 37, had decided to give up his comeback bid, but then the slugger's agent said not so fast. "Nothing could be further from the truth," Bean Stringfellow told Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal. "He is in great shape. He is hitting very well and running very well." Stringfellow did indicate Guerrero could opt out of his contract with the Blue Jays if he is not promoted to the big club soon, saying, "He has not done so. Not yet." So this sounds like Guerrero is getting impatient playing in Las Vegas and yearns for the bright lights of Toronto. Guerrero hit 13 home runs with 63 RBI and a .290 average in 562 at-bats for the Baltimore Oriole last season. For his career, he has 449 home runs, 1,496 RBI, 2,590 hits and a .318 average.
June 12, 201214 yr Vlad the Impaler in a Reds uniform?? If he's cheap...maybe. One of my favorites to watch.
June 12, 201214 yr Author Vlad the Impaler in a Reds uniform?? If he's cheap...maybe. One of my favorites to watch. Ageed...One of my favorites as well and I dont think he would cost much...He just wants to keep playing and wants to do it for a contender...I dont know what he has done to not warrant a job somewhere, Vlad hit last year and looks to still be hitting... He would look good imo in the Reds lineup but the biggest question is could the Reds live with his D in LF...I think I could, the Diamondbacks were apparently interested but didnt really have a need and they say he is in great shape which doesnt really surprise me...
June 12, 201214 yr I read an article about him not long ago about his child support he pays monthly, but also how well he done at saving his money.
June 12, 201214 yr Author I read an article about him not long ago about his child support he pays monthly, but also how well he done at saving his money. He has like 7 or 8 kids I think and pays 25K a month in child support...
June 12, 201214 yr Author Its Official the Jays have Officially released Vlad from his contract freeing him up to sign anywhere he pleases...
June 12, 201214 yr Author I think Vlad has a chance somewhere down the road at the HOF. Agreed I think his numbers certainly pass the look test...
June 12, 201214 yr He would make Jonny Gomes look like a Gold Glover....I'll pass unless he's brought in as a 5th OF'er.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.