Cigars Iternation Humidor special is back

coldweatherfan

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really a cigar guy -- though I do smoke a pipe from time to time -- but at that price I might have to try this out.

coldweatherfan, any notes on what I should look for among the 10 particular cigars that come in this package?

Not really a cigar guy -- though I do smoke a pipe from time to time -- but at that price I might have to try this out.

coldweatherfan, any notes on what I should look for among the 10 particular cigars that come in this package?

None of these will be flavored like a pipe tobacco. But a basic run down of each is

- Cohiba Red Dot Robusto (5x49) - Medium body, medium flavor, peanuts & carmel, smokes very evenly.

- Hoyo Excalibur Epicure (5.2x50) - Full rich body and flavor, leather, coffee, pepper, 4 tobacco blend

- La Gloria Cubana Serie R #5 (5.5x54) - Rich, full, creamy, nice spice, leather. Does tend to smoke unevenly

- Macanudo Hyde Park (5.5x49) - Mild, earthy, smokes well. For someone like me who likes the big flavor cigars it's pretty unremarkable, but most folks who like milder cigars swear by Macanudo.

- CAO Black Bengal (6x50) - Medium/full flavor, cedar, spice, vanilla, pepper. Typically a flawless smoke. one of CAO's very best.

- Punch Pita (6.1x50) - have not had, but Punch is well known and repected.

- Gurkha Triple Ligero Toro (6.2x50) - Big full flavor but still smooth, wood, spicy, chocolat. Be careful, ligero wrapper is very thin and will often break when cutting, use a punch or bullet cutter for best results.

- Torano Noventa Santiago (5x50) - Have not had this one. But I don't think I've ever had a bad Torano

- Garo Double Habano (4.7x52) - Not had, not really familiar with Garo.

- Padilla 1948 Ed. Limitada Robusto (5x50) - Medium, earthy, cocoa, smokes very well, but IMO is pretty unremarkable. Good lawn mower cigar. This never really caught on. Not full enough for us full guys and to strong for the mild guys. I do buy them when they are on special, because they smoke so well.

CWF I need to restock with some milds, any recommendations?

All good. All on the mild and mellow side. If I had to pick a best of the bunch it would be between the Perdomo and the Man o War. There are CI samplers that will have several of these. Be careful of the ones that contain the Gurkha Symphony. Most mild smokers do not think it's mild. Or just by a box of which ever one of these is on special.

Man o War Virtue

5 Vegas Gold

Macanudo Hyde Park

Perdomo Reserve Champaign

Gray cliff G2

Mark Twain No.1

Just placed my order. Really looking forward to this.

When you get it you'll have to set your hygrometer and condition the humi. Leave your cigars in the little pouch until you get these two things done.

Get a gallon of distilled water at kroger. Use it for everything. Do not use tap water, it invites mold.

Hygrometer. There are 2 methods.

1 - This is the more accurate method. Take a saucer or lid from a cottage cheese container, it needs to fit in a zip lock bag. Put a 2 teaspoons of table salt in a pile. Add enough distilled water to wet the pile. Put that in the ziplock. Prop the hygrometer on the edge of your saucer/lid so that it gets good circulation. Seal it up, and leave it sit overnight (at least 6 hours) if it does not read 75% humidity adjust the screw on the back so that it does.

2 - This is the quick and easy method. Wet a wash cloth and ring it out a bit. Just so it's not dripping. Wrap your hygrometer in the wash cloth and let sit for 2 hours. Should read 95% humidity, if not adjust the screw so that it does.

For the humidor.

Put your calibrated hygrometer in your humi. Take a new unscented sponge or a couple of paper towels and dampen it. Wipe the inside of the humidor to moisten it, but don't soak it. Sit a shot glass of distilled water in the humidor and close the lid. Will take anywhere from 12-48 hours should read 70% humidity.

Humidistat. Again 2 choices.

1 - The one that comes with it will come with instructions for how to use it. Basically add distilled water till it can't absorb any more. Wipe it off with a paper towel and put it in your humi.

2 - I prefer these. You can get them from CI or at Liquor Barn. One of these and a pint of cigar glycol will last a year easy. Just sit it in the humidor. It holds 70% humidity at 70 degrees. Fill to the fill line once a month.

humicare.jpg

Just saw this mild sampler for $29.95

CI's Mild & Mellow Sampler #4 - Cigars International

1 - Macanudo Hyde Park (5.5" x 49)

1 - CAO Gold Churchill (7" x 48)

1 - Oliva Connecticut Reserve Robusto (5" x 50)

1 - 5 Vegas Gold Double Nickel (5.5" x 55)

1 - Rocky Patel Connecticut Toro (6" x 52)

1 - Hoyo Excalibur Epicure (5.25" x 50)

1 - Alec Bradley American Classic Toro (6" x 50)

1 - La Gloria Cubana Artesanos Retro Club (5.75" x 47)

1 - Gran Habano Connecticut #1 Robusto (5" x 50)

1 - Gurkha Status Torpedo (6.5" x 52