Everything posted by dinoradja
-
Your Regions All Time Basketball Team
Sounds fine to me, based on my short history here I had to check though.
-
Your Regions All Time Basketball Team
Then I ask that rule apply to everyone, not just when I say something but when they say things to me as well.
-
What's the best team ever from your region?
Like I said, I apologize for the incorrect post.
-
Your Regions All Time Basketball Team
Yes, I guess you would have to be surprised about what I have watched. Movies and tapes were abudantly available even in the 1960's, not just during the "O.J." era that we live in now. Pick your players, pick your teams but please check your attitude and remarks, they are boring and bring nothing relevant to the discussion.
-
What's the best team ever from your region?
I thought Ashland won in 1960 and was runner up in 1961, I apologize if I was incorrect.
-
Your Regions All Time Basketball Team
Yes, you must be confused because I never once said that I saw Conley play in person. However, maybe someone could see tape and make a decision, there are many ways to have "personal knowledge". I never saw Babe Ruth play in person but I can make an educated decision of how I would rank him among the baseball greats. Do not go on about "lack of real personal knowledge" when you don't know me, it makes you look like you know very little of which you speak. I am not trying to make this personal, but I would like for you to not misquote my posts and make it sound like I said things that I obviously did not. I don't think that is asking too much of the "Kingfish".
-
Your Regions All Time Basketball Team
Ervin Stepp alone lit up many a net, the rest of these guys were incredible in their own right as well. Put all of these guys on the court at the same time and the nets may have lasted 10 minutes, if they were lucky! :ylsuper:
-
Your Regions All Time Basketball Team
I did not say that I saw Conley play in person, I said I was going on personal knowledge. Please read my post again if there is any confusion.
-
Your Regions All Time Basketball Team
I am going on personal knowledge, yes. And as far as discounting Conley's contributions on the championship team, I would say that his fellow players may have a different opinion about discounting his importance. Players today may be more athletic and stronger but does that mean they shoot the ball better, pass better, handle the ball better or in general play the game better? You have your criteria, I have mine and that is fine. I have no doubt your mind will not change on this as I am sure that mine opinion is still the same for the same reasons as I stated in my earlier post.
-
Your Regions All Time Basketball Team
Mayo had a great career while at Rose Hill but when he left after his 8th grade year that completed his "body of work" there. Based on that time period and the player that he was when he left, not after, I would put Conley and Hall ahead for their total works. Conley won a state championship and was a runner up the next year and Jeff Hall finished with a great career as well. I am not going to go over the rest of the players because I know more about these two than probably most of the others. But just basing it on body of work within the 16th Region and not in other states I have to say that while he had a great two years here I personally would not put him among the all time players because of what they did over a longer period and O.J. when he left was not the player that Hall and Conley were when they left high school. And I am not being partisan, just using criteria that I believe to be valid and fair.
-
Your School's All-Time Starting 5
Just one more example of how that going D1, while being something to be proud of, still does not always equate being a better player than someone who did not go to a D1 school and I am very sure that you know this local player. Ty Barnes did not go to a NCAA school but I think that you would have to admit that he is a better player than the players that you felt I have slighted. And I guess I am not currently a "paid expert" but at one time I did make my living in the spectrum of sports media so I do feel that I know more than a little about what I am talking about.
-
What's the best team ever from your region?
The Ashland Tomcat team that won the State Championship, I believe it was in 1960. Best team ever from the 16th Region.
-
The Most Underrated Players in Your School's History
Raceland: Bob Braden for sure. Not even 6"3 and averaged double figure rebounds his junior and senior year.
-
Your Regions All Time Basketball Team
16th Region based on players I have seen play ( in no order ) Jeff Hall Steve Skaggs Rocky Adkins Don Rigsby Mark Watkins Marty Thomas Chuck Cantrell Jeff Tipton Mike Scott Jeff Tipton had one of the most incredible state tournament games his senior year. In the double overtime loss to Covington Holmes lead by Dicky Beal, Jeff had 41 points and 19 rebounds. And Mike Scott had a great state tourney too although Greenup as a team was over matched I remember Mike having some stats almost as good as what Jeff Tipton had.
-
Your School's All-Time Starting 5
You being from the area makes it hard to believe that you are not familiar with my players but I will inform you about them the best that I can. Chris Jones went to the University of Kentucky as a walk on. Mark Watkins went to a college in Tennessee, Milligan I believe where he played for Ron Reed. Roberts, Synstricker and Ryan Watkins I am not sure what they did after high school as far as playing sports is concerned. And yes, Rick Hensley was a very good player and if you want to start your own Russell list with him then that is wonderful, I have finished making my list and am very happy with it.
-
Your School's All-Time Starting 5
I don't believe that because one is going to play D1 that automatically means that they are better than someone who did not play D1. I would humbly submit that Dennis Rodman and Walter Payton did not play D1 and I would take them over Walter Berry ( who was NCAA player of the year ) and Archie Griffin ( who won two Heisman Trophies ). And as far as all state goes there are several all state teams, some that said player made and some that he did not. You obviously have personal reasons for how you feel, mine are non-biased like I said so I am very comfortable with my reasons for the picks I made and I feel that I would not replace any of my picks with Vanhoose, Hensley or Howell because they were not as good as the players I picked. Nothing personal.
-
Best Players?School History
When it comes to Ferguson of Elliot County and what position he would play at the next level I think that depends on whether he plays at a D1 or NAIA school. At a D1 I would see him at the two and I feel his ball handling will be good enough to play at the two and if he plays at the NAIA level, and if he did that I could see him at a good NAIA team like Georgetown, he could play the two or a wing position like a three. His athletic ability is a good asset and his shooting will improve each year in high school. I want to make it clear that I am not taking anything away from Ethan, Evan or Knipp ( I think that is the big kids name ) I just think that the combination of athletic ability and basketball ability that Ferguson has is superior to that of the other kids and that is no knock on them, just a compliement to Ferguson.
-
Your School's All-Time Starting 5
Like I said, that is my list for Russell and I am very, very comfortable with it. The 16th Region is much weaker than it was during the time of the players that I listed and in that day and age someone who will turn 20 soon after graduating from high school was far from the normal event that it is today and I will submit that someone that age has a decided advantage physically and emotionally over someone 15 or 16 years old. If you don't like my list or reasoning then simply submit your own but I don't know who you would knock off my list to add Howell, Hensley or Vanhoose. Jones went to UK, Roberts was considered one of the very best in the state, Mark Watkins was an incredible player on a very balanced team, Ryan Watkins shot nearly 60 percent from the floor and played with the, at that time, leading point producer in Russell history and still finished in the top two or three and Synstricker (may have spelled that wrong) scored just under 1000 points IN ONE SEASON at Russell. Like I said, I feel my list for Russell is very good and since I did not go to school there or have any children there it is also very unbiased as well.
-
Best Players?School History
No doubt that Ferguson is the best player and best college prospect on the Lions team. Not taking anything away from any other player but Ferguson is the most complete player on that team. The stats stated above show his all around play.
-
Your School's All-Time Starting 5
I believe that Terry never did get into coaching but he was a very good player as well, in the medical field now.
-
Your School's All-Time Starting 5
Great athlete, coach too.
-
Best Players?School History
Fairview: Jeff Hall and Don Rigsby Russell: Chris Jones, Ryan Watkins and Mark Watkins Ashland: Larry Conley and Chuck Cantrell Boyd County: Kent Sisler and Phil Pratt Holy Family: Art McCullough and David Layne Elliot County: Rocky Adkins Rowan County: Kelly Wells
-
Your School's All-Time Starting 5
Anyone that would truly think that Vanhoose is better than any of the five I listed previously on here is either (A) a relative or (B) someone who does not know their basketball history. By the way, I would not knock someone else's IQ before re-evaluating your own first.
-
Your School's All-Time Starting 5
What about them? I listed my top five and I believe those were the five best. You can list yours and put whoever you want on it. :thumb:
-
Your School's All-Time Starting 5
Russell Red Devils: Chris Jones Tom Roberts Mickey Syndstricker Mark Watkins Ryan Watkins