Everything posted by southernkyhoops
-
Middle School Basketball
The AAU level of compitition raises your level of play... almost without fail, the top teams in the middle school division play a significant amount of AAU summer basketball, either together or on other teams. It is a different level of play and it is much more physical and intense with constant on ball pressure. I think it is the intensity level at which the games are played that make a big difference in a team's rate of improvement. Almost all middle school teams are missing a piece to the puzzle, while an AAU team can go get the piece they need. We have always been a slightly better than average AAU team but we had an excellent middle school team. Good middle school teams are made in the summer... not in the fall and winter.
-
Middle School Basketball
I think our aggressiveness was the key to our success at the 6th grade state. We applied constant pressure in some form and changed up defenses. It seemed to me most of the teams weren't used to that type of AAU style pressure. It really took some of the big boys out of the game and forced the other teams into shots they weren't used to taking.
-
Middle School Basketball
6th grade was really quick with constant ball pressure.... they had just started playing a few of weeks ago. here is their school calendar, all games agaist other lexington schools January 2 CLASSES RESUME January 17 Science Fair January 21 Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (No Classes) January 22-25 No Name-Calling Week January 24 & 26 Academic Team at District Governor's Cup (at Seton) January 26 Boys' Basketball Team at Lexington Catholic January 28 SBDM Council, 5:00pm, Media Center January 29 Boys' Basketball Team at E. J. Hayes January 31 Boys' Basketball Team vs. Crawford February 2 Math Team at Bluegrass chapter MathCounts (at UK) February 4 midterm, third nine-week grading period (grade reports sent home February 6) February 5 Boys' Basketball Team vs. Leestown February 7 Boys' Basketball Team at Morton February 11-15 Random Acts of Kindness Week February 12 Boys' Basketball Team at Jessie Clark February 14 Boys' Basketball Team vs. Tates Creek February 14 & 16 Academic Team at Regional Governor's Cup (site TBA)+ February 15 SCHOOL IS IN SESSION (Weather Make-Up Day) February 18 Presidents' Day (No Classes) February 19 Boys' Basketball Team at Southern
-
Lincoln Co./Wayne Co. predictions
Wayne County misses a 3 at the buzzer... Lincoln wins by 3. Lincoln seems to really struggle in close games played at a slower tempo. Just like last season agaist Adair... could be their achillies heel.
-
Middle School Basketball
2013 could be Kentucky's deepest class in years. It's loaded!
-
McCreary Central 77 Lincoln Co. 68
McCreary will win the 12th, If not McCreary then it will be Wayne.
-
Middle School Basketball
Sanders is a great player.... South will be competitive without him but I don't think they are a threat to win it.
-
Middle School Basketball
The KBA checks that very closely, they also will not let 2 middle school teams from the same county combine.... they do a good job and if you suspect anything wrong you should tell them and they would take action. ONLY 1 DIVISION AT THE MIDDLE SCHOOL STATE.
-
Middle School Basketball
I am not very up on 7th grade basketball, what about Knox Central and a kid that they have. My friends at Wayne and Somerset rave about this team and player.
-
Middle School Basketball
Sayre was oustanding, 3 of their starters are probable starters for the Central Kentucky Warriors, Cunningham, Green, and Johnson. Johnson is about 6'1" and we had alot of trouble finding an answer for him. We pressed almost the entire time all week and our kids were worn out, as well as their coach. We could not make a perimiter shot, they jumped out early and it was over. AND they were the better team. Thank all of you guys for the compliments and support..... I am still worn out today, and I'm sure the kids are. I was extremely proud of how hard they played... it made 3-4 years of hard work seem worth it. Thanks again!!... the friendships i've built through basketball are terrific, good luck to everyone the rest of the season.
-
Boys All A first round matchups
Metcalfe County has an outstanding team but their best player Trey Shirley has been out for 2-3 weeks and isn't expected back till later. Metcalfe is still good enough to win a couple of games... with Shirley they could have won it. They have 10-11 seniors and coming from the 4th region they have played excellent compitition.
-
Middle School Basketball
I would like to thank all the the nice people I met at the 6th grade state. It was a wonderful event and I would like to congratulate Sayre and all of the other teams that participated. It was reaaly nice to meet ironhead and rickyp as well as the coaches from Conner. All of you guys have great programs and do a really good job. I came away feeling that Sayre was the best team but some other oustanding teams were Johnson Central, Meece, LTMS, Conner, Hazard, Lewis county, and lincoln county. There were some excellent teams that had some very nice 5th graders, who will be tough next year, including Wayne County, Rose Hill, Elliott County, Mason Co, and LCA. I know I probably left out a good team or a young team but it has been a very long and tiring weekend. I would also like to congratulate all of my young men fron Clinton County who gave a great effort every minute they were on the floor.
-
Middle School Basketball
Sayre vs. LTMS Clinton County vs. Johnson Central Sayre defeated Somerset in a game that went down to the final minute. LTMS defeated Elliott County by 20+ Johnson Central defeated Lincoln County in a back and forth game. Clinton County defeated Conner by 20+/- Should be 3 great games and anyone truely could win it.
-
Middle School Basketball
Best first games look like Sayre vs. Elkhorn and Madison vs. Rose Hill
-
Middle School Basketball
Should be an exciting day tomarrow.... notice the LTMS/ Sayre score! Friday, Jan 25th 6:30 pm 1- 48 West Jessamine vs. Estill County 35 2- 14 Morton vs. Conner 42 3- 39 Lexington Christian-Blue vs. Boyle County 18 4- 39 Lexington Traditional vs. Sayre 37 7:45 pm 5- 38 Mason County vs. Southern (Somerset) 33 6- 22 Mason County 5th vs. Lincoln County 46 7- W Meece vs. Betsy Layne L 8- 37 Madison vs. Lexington Christian-White 17 9:00 pm 9- 48 Hazard vs. Clinton County 56 10- 39 Elkhorn vs. Salyersville 31 11- 23 Rose Hill vs. Central (Paintsville) 63 Your position in the bracket will be determined by whether you win or lose your game, and your game number, for example, Winner 8 might play Loser 4. In addition, Lewis County, Fleming County, McNabb, Wayne County, and Team Elliott will play beginning Saturday morning in the bracket play.
-
Middle School Basketball
I was a little overboard with the 2-3 weeks statement but assuming you teach them the fundamentals they need I think you have to teach them to compete and the effort it takes to compete. Give me kids that play hard and compete!
-
Rose Hill 62 Elliott Co 55
Tough on attendence at Richmond!
-
Middle School Basketball
I politely disagree, a good coach can teach man to man defense in 2-3 weeks. I do think most middle schools should play man but it depends on your talent. I also think that playing a 2-2-1 or 1-2-1-1 and then trapping in half court teaches kids to play hard. I personally would rather have kids that have learned to play hard and know what it takes to win then kids that are perfectly versed in proper man to man technique. I also do not think that you should sacrifice games to teach one certain system. The more versatile your middle school players are the better chance they have to succeed later. I also thing you have to teach youngsters to win.... learning to win is critical to future success....i.e. knowing you can play with anyone. Learning to lose in the proper manner is also very important. However, in the end, I agree that man to man should be used as much as possible but again, I would rather have EFFORT.
-
Middle School Basketball
New brackets for the 6th grade state!!!!!!!! new team... Elkhorn, anybody know anything?? From frankfort.
-
Middle School Basketball
Who is the coach of the Gray 6th grade team in northern ky?
-
Middle School Basketball
I predict Sayre and (Paintsville) Central in the championship game. Good luck to everyone!
-
Middle School Basketball
Friday, Jan 25th 6:30 pm 1- West Jessamine vs. Estill County 2- Lexington Christian-White vs. Conner 3- Lexington Christian-Blue vs. Boyle County 4- Lexington Traditional vs. Sayre 7:45 pm 5- Mason County vs. Southern (Somerset) 6- Mason County 5th vs. Morton 7- Meece vs. Betsy Layne 8- Wayne County vs. Lincoln County 9:00 pm 9- Hazard vs. Clinton County 10-Team Elliott vs. Salyersville 11-Rose Hill vs. Central (Paintsville) Your position in the bracket will be determined by whether you win or lose your game, and your game number, for example, Winner 8 might play Loser 4. In addition, Lewis County, Fleming County, and McNabb will play beginning Saturday morning in the bracket play.
-
Is Elliott the best 16th Region team ever?
They will never be considered the best ever unless they win back to back state championships this year and next. The 60-61' ashland teams are considered the best ever in the state by alot of people. They might be the best in the 3 point era if they continue to improve.
-
Middle School Basketball
Does anyone know anything about the following 6th grade school teams: Conner Central- paintsville McNabb- Clark Co Rose Hill Salyersville Any info would be appreciated.
-
Middle School Basketball
I think they said they had 20, 3 more have committed but not sent their paperwork.